When it's warm, do you...?

• Wear mitts (fingerless gloves)

Votes: 82 69.5%
  • Wear nothing on your hands

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • Wear gloves all year round

Votes: 15 12.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Surprised by the amount of summertime glove-botherers; some good arguments made for their use however. Personally I plan on not coming off and so far (he says, jinxing it all) I've only had one semi-serious off in the last 20yrs / 14k + miles.. while I thankfully don't have any issues with bar contact / vibration.

I do wear varying thicknesses of full gloves in the winter for obvious reasons. Maybe I'll look out for some fingerless summer efforts..

Gwylan

Veteran
Bike polo!? Do tell... (new to this forum)

A dedicated and loony corner of the biking world. Google it, there is a governing body and harmonised rules are available, not necessarily observed.
One brake fixie and narrow bars, small frame and not too much fear. That and an enclosed space about the size of a big tennis court, suits this very urban sport.
Those enclosed multi sport areas that councils put up can be ideal. But sometimes the entrance is created to make access with a bike challenging.
Playing on grass is for the rural gentry.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Surprised by the amount of summertime glove-botherers; some good arguments made for their use however. Personally I plan on not coming off and so far (he says, jinxing it all) I've only had one semi-serious off in the last 20yrs / 14k + miles.. while I thankfully don't have any issues with bar contact / vibration.

I do wear varying thicknesses of full gloves in the winter for obvious reasons. Maybe I'll look out for some fingerless summer efforts..

I have been mildly surprised by the safety aspect of the responses. Thought it would be more to do with sweat and comfort. Have never hit the ground "hands-first" at speed with bare hands so not sure what the impact would be (skin on hands is much thicker than other parts of the body). Also notice a fair few of the pro peloton riders don't wear mitts in the summer, even the sprinters who are more likely to take a tumble

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have been mildly surprised by the safety aspect of the responses. Thought it would be more to do with sweat and comfort. Have never hit the ground "hands-first" at speed with bare hands so not sure what the impact would be (skin on hands is much thicker than other parts of the body). Also notice a fair few of the pro peloton riders don't wear mitts in the summer, even the sprinters who are more likely to take a tumble

Aye - interesting to hear both sides. I guess it all depends on the circumstances as to which bits are likely to come off worst.. can't imagine that scabs all over the ideally-flexible skin on the palms would be much fun however.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Gloves - various - with silk liners in mid winter, followed by gloves - various - alone, followed by - mitts and thin gloves in the spring, followed by mitts - various thickness as conditions allow, and so on throughout the seasons ...

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Don't know if they replied but a relative of mine does, any recommendations of heated gloves to help with alleviating symptoms appreciated.

To answer your question my mitts died last year, I haven't bought new ones and so far am not missing them so bare hands for me.

My wife has Raynauds and commutes by bike all year round. She uses Castelli Espresso gloves with merino liners (Gore Tex, wind proof and waterproof). Has worn them down to -3 deg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom