When it's warm, do you...?

• Wear mitts (fingerless gloves)

Votes: 82 69.5%
  • Wear nothing on your hands

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • Wear gloves all year round

Votes: 15 12.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In summer, Mitts, my favourite being Shimano ones.

I've come off quite a few times, and never hurt my hands. As I found out as a teenager when I fell off the back of a Routemaster bus (terrible things, btw) I have a natural reflex to protect my delicate hands and lead with my head.

But anyway, they keep the sun off.

In winter, gloves. My favourites are some fleecy workman's gloves that I bought in Finland, where they know a thing or two about cold.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You guys sure do fall off your bikes a lot, or at least your reason for glove wearing suggests this

On the very odd occasion I've come off it's been such a surprise my hands were still holding the bars when I hit the ground. Never stuck my hand out

Sharky

Guru
You guys sure do fall off your bikes a lot, or at least your reason for glove wearing suggests this

On the very odd occasion I've come off it's been such a surprise my hands were still holding the bars when I hit the ground. Never stuck my hand out

That's my experience as well. Two broken collorbones, fractured pelvis, bruised hip, but hands untouched.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Oddly enough, when I was a runner I fell over more than once and bashed up my palms. Cycling, it hasn't happened (yet). I never wore mitts when running, but I do for cycling. :wacko:

Dadam

I've never needed a car airbag but I'm still kind of glad I've got one

The one time I hit the deck very hard, I shredded the palm of my right glove. Even so, my hand stung like hell for a few days even though the skin wasn't broken. Also did my right knee, elbow and shoulder - and split my helmet.

Other times I've had an unintentional dismount it's not been an issue, but I much prefer being a belt-and-braces kind of girl and wear some gloves or mitts. :blush:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've never needed a car airbag but I'm still kind of glad I've got one

But I don't like wearing gloves unless it is properly cold. Hands get sweaty and I like the connection to the bike without gloves. So I weigh up the chance of hurting my hands when I fall off (10 years cycling, never hurt my hands) against preferring the feel of cycling with no gloves. Each to their own of course

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
But I don't like wearing gloves unless it is properly cold. Hands get sweaty and I like the connection to the bike without gloves. So I weigh up the chance of hurting my hands when I fall off (10 years cycling, never hurt my hands) against preferring the feel of cycling with no gloves. Each to their own of course

I prefer mitts 'cos I'm a sweaty Herbert and get better grip with them, so completely opposite preferences!

Like you, I've never hurt my hands cycling, but I do think there's a good case that of all the protective kit you *could* use as a cyclist, gloves/mitts are by some way the most effective way to reduce injury risk. Which isn't to say anyone should be proselytising their use.

Adam4868

Guru
Never worn mitts,I only ever wear full finger winter gloves/lobster type for extreme cold.
Even then if I can stand it when ive warmed up I take them off.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
In summer, Mitts, my favourite being Shimano ones.

I've come off quite a few times, and never hurt my hands. As I found out as a teenager when I fell off the back of a Routemaster bus (terrible things, btw) I have a natural reflex to protect my delicate hands and lead with my head.
Did you fall off the back, or, tried jumping off whilst it was still on the move?🤔

figbat

Slippery scientist
I always wear something on my hands - full finger in the winter and mitts in the summer. It has always been about protection for me, in case I come off, but more recently I have suffered with some palm discomfort issue so I wear gel-padded gloves/mitts.

OK, so out I went last night for the weekly MTB group ride, wearing my mitts as usual.

This morning I am regretting it as my fingers are still suffering the nettle stings that I received as we tackled a severely overgrown trail. I was also in shorts, so lower legs are the same. 😬

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I like tanned hands ,not my finger tips. Padded mits for cycling could mean that the bike is not quite right for you.

A Long time cyclist friend has had to have treatment on a number of occasions for Actinic keratoses (also called solar keratoses) some of which had led to Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the skin. Beware tanned hands.

Top Bottom