England : London Sunday london Ride: Monopoly Edition - 19 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Heads up, I've just found out Regent Street is closed tomorrow for the Hamley's Toy parade. I think the part of Regent street we are riding will be okay, but we may have to walk across the road when we cross it later on. Or we may be through before it starts. I can find very little information, so we'll need to play it by ear, I fear.

Weather forecast is for bright, but cold. See you in the morning.

U

User10571

That was good.
No, very good - albeit a tad cold.
Thanks Ross.
Good to see some familiar faces.
My Brompton is soooo badly set up. My wrists are killing me and I really wish that I had worn cycle shorts under my civvy strides.
Gah!

Tim Hall

That was a grand day out. I rode up from Horley to the start and scored some street art on the way. Good to see old faces, good to meet new faces. Pictures will appear after I get home.

Thanks @rb58 for organising the route and the weather.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Sorry for being a noshow. A friend and I went to Comicon yesterday at the Birmingham NEC and ended up getting so smashed on alcoholic beverages that we ended up spending the night on the couch at his friend's house.

Good to hear it was a good ride, will be looking forward to pics if any!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Yes, it's great to be on a ride with no responsibilities knowing @rb58 has it all planned out. Very interesting idea, too - a really clever idea for a ride.
I never knew about Bond Street not existing, nor Marlborough Street, and was surprised at how a tiddly little alley such as Vine Street could possibly have made it on to the Monopoly board.
I bailed near Cannon Street station as I had failed utterly to dress correctly for the weather and was dying of cold.
And @CharlieB we can talk on the phone about your planned fast ride, I'll email you.
Thanks all.

U

User10571

Thanks Ross, a really enjoyable way of spending a chilly Sunday morning. Nice to meet up with some CC'ers again. Broke all records on the way home, 3 comfort stops for a 10 mile ride, I blame the cold weather ( and slowmo ) :smile:
I think I've ridden with everybody who was on today's ride on one occasion or another, with OzBoz probably being the only exception (Nice to meet you OzBoz).
But I'm unsure who you are..... Can you identify yourself by bike or clothing, pls?
I was on the black Brompton, black top and lookin' for trouble boots.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
I think we got away with that! Bright but cold always makes for a fun ride. The West End can be difficult at the best of times, and even more so with the road closures on our route. Nevertheless, nobody got lost and I think our only mechanical was an errant mudguard.

For those that were wondering, this was the route. We missed out the Whitehall loop - but we did pass the end of both Whitehall and Northumberland Avenue. We also had to faff around Regent Street due to the parade. The only square on the Monopoly board we missed was 'Income tax' which was to be HMRC on Parliament Street - that was also off limits.

Here is some information on the New River company - our last stop.

Thanks to everyone who came along, and to those who took a turn at the back to ensure we didn't lose anyone along the way.

The next organised Sunday London Ride I'll do is likely to be the Movies Edition, but that will not be until after the winter - most probably March. And we won't end up at LMNH, which will please those who want a proper sausage sandwich.

Watch this space for more details.

U

User10571

I think we got away with that! Bright but cold always makes for a fun ride. The West End can be difficult at the best of times, and even more so with the road closures on our route. Nevertheless, nobody got lost and I think our only mechanical was an errant mudguard.

For those that were wondering, this was the route. We missed out the Whitehall loop - but we did pass the end of both Whitehall and Northumberland Avenue. We also had to faff around Regent Street due to the parade. The only square on the Monopoly board we missed was 'Income tax' which was to be HMRC on Parliament Street - that was also off limits.

Here is some information on the New River company - our last stop.

Thanks to everyone who came along, and to those who took a turn at the back to ensure we didn't lose anyone along the way.

The next organised Sunday London Ride I'll do is likely to be the Movies Edition, but that will not be until after the winter - most probably March. And we won't end up at LMNH, which will please those who want a proper sausage sandwich.

Watch this space for more details.
I'm reading between the lines on your post Ross.
Was someone's sausage sarnie not commensurate with their expectations.......?

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
And we won't end up at LMNH, which will please those who want a proper sausage sandwich.
Good, it was pretty poor! 3 chipolatas between 2 slices of unbuttered toast. The sausages wern't cut in half so happily rolled out from between the toast without any butter or sauce to stick them in position!

U

User10571

Good, it was pretty poor! 3 chipolatas between 2 slices of unbuttered toast. The sausages wern't cut in half so happily rolled out from between the toast without any butter or sauce to stick them in position!
All a bit underwhelming, by the sounds of it....

GM

Legendary Member
I think I've ridden with everybody who was on today's ride on one occasion or another, with OzBoz probably being the only exception (Nice to meet you OzBoz).
But I'm unsure who you are..... Can you identify yourself by bike or clothing, pls?
I was on the black Brompton, black top and lookin' for trouble boots.

I was the old boy on the other black Brompton. I've been on loads of rides that you've been on, the last one I think was the windy Whitstable to Ramsgate earlier this year.... BTW, liked the boots, very sensible!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
an errant mudguard
Now safe in my workshop. Was surprised to find it on the rack when I was on the train, had completely forgotten about it. Anyone remember to whom it belongs? I'll make an effort to get it to its rightful owner.

EDIT Although as it appeared to be broken, maybe they don't want it back(?)

Last edited:

Tim Hall

The toast was from not particularly special bread either, slices two, whole. I had omitted to pick up cutlery, so to save time I whipped my Opinel No. 7 from my bag and bisected my butty with that. I think they're trading on their reputation.

Top Bottom