Swearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
This discussion is like when my kids try to negotiate and wriggle out of specific rules I've set.

'You said I couldn't punch my brother in the house, well now we're in the car'

Yeah it's the punching that's the problem, not the location, what are you a farking contract lawyer?

Where are all these egregious examples of bad language? I mean I see a few here and there but I don't think it's exactly endemic.

It's perfectly possible to be a rude and unpleasant person yet still use extremely polite language, in fact it's often used as a so called 'debate' tactic. Be polite and provoke your opponent into swearing. It's not big or clever and it doesn't mean you've won anything. Equally it's also possible to be a perfectly reasonable and agreeable human being while using swear words. I use them sometimes, hopefully sparingly, on the forum to add emphasis. Mostly I use them unchanged so the filter catches them, which I see as a reasonable compromise.

Incidentally I was listening to music with my 7yo the other day and she said I had to talk over the lyrics when there was swearing because 'it's the F word and I'm a child'. So she knows her swears and knows why they're used and when they're not appropriate.

classic33

Leg End Member
again, how do you know that???

and as i said, it isnt a swear word

View attachment 658544
Disagree, as does the Oxford English Dictionary.

T'is an Irish word, site language is English.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
This discussion is like when my kids try to negotiate and wriggle out of specific rules I've set.

'You said I couldn't punch my brother in the house, well now we're in the car'

Yeah it's the punching that's the problem, not the location, what are you a farking contract lawyer?

Where are all these egregious examples of bad language? I mean I see a few here and there but I don't think it's exactly endemic.

It's perfectly possible to be a rude and unpleasant person yet still use extremely polite language, in fact it's often used as a so called 'debate' tactic. Be polite and provoke your opponent into swearing. It's not big or clever and it doesn't mean you've won anything. Equally it's also possible to be a perfectly reasonable and agreeable human being while using swear words. I use them sometimes, hopefully sparingly, on the forum to add emphasis. Mostly I use them unchanged so the filter catches them, which I see as a reasonable compromise.

Incidentally I was listening to music with my 7yo the other day and she said I had to talk over the lyrics when there was swearing because 'it's the F word and I'm a child'. So she knows her swears and knows why they're used and when they're not appropriate.

some have been removed, some have been filtered and some are still there.....im not searching the whole forum to find them, but i will now report them, as per the mods statement up thread, when i see them appear.

If people dont like it, im just doing as ive been told to do.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Fecking is a euphemism for farking. You must know that and that anyone offended by one will be offended by the other?

no as above - i was annoyed he had a pool, so i used the term to express annoyance and not to swear, as its not allowed. I also never stated i was offended by it either.

1661337690587.png

OP
OP
J

jowwy

We can keep going like this or we can all agree that the mods have spoken and i have not sworn......

But i am sure there are now members scouring the forum to find out if i have. Cause thats what they do

OP
OP
J

jowwy

@jowwy, Moderator-In-Waiting.
Let's just hope there's no tightening up on the grammar, syntax or spelling conventions, or we all are going to be truly farked.
Another inane thread, devoid of purpose. Beckett could not have done better if he tried.
Utter nonsense.
Strangely addictive, like watching one's pet defecate.

but your still here commenting on it...go figure

classic33

Leg End Member
no as above - i was annoyed he had a pool, so i used the term to express annoyance and not to swear, as its not allowed. I also never stated i was offended by it either.

View attachment 658545
In one post you say you didn't type that, you typed something else that the swear filter changed to what was shown. Then in another you say you didn't use the word, but post an example of it in use. Then you say you used it because you're allowed to. Which is it?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

In one post you say you didn't type that, you typed something else that the swear filter changed to what was shown. Then in another you say you didn't use the word, but post an example of it in use. Then you say you used it because you're allowed to. Which is it?

again - how do you know what the swear filter sees or doesnt see?? answer my question

classic33

Leg End Member
We can keep going like this or we can all agree that the mods have spoken and i have not sworn......

But i am sure there are now members scouring the forum to find out if i have. Cause thats what they do
No need, on my part, to "scour the forum". I used one of your latest examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom