Tacx Vortex Smart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
shame yours wasn't up to scratch and hoping yu have more luck with the BKool

They sold out fast didn't they. They had 12 when I ordered at lunchtime - clearly early Christmas presents. Mine is. From Me :biggrin:

Leodis

Veteran
It is a good unit, though I weigh 77 kilos plus the bike it reduces the gradients a fair bit as the max for the full 7% is 75 inc bike but it was a good ride.

Buck

Guru
You're about the same weight as me so will be a similar experience for me. I'm hoping to get down to c.70 kg in the next 12 months.

Leodis

Veteran
I ordered the Vortex from Bike Discount de last Thursday, it arrived Saturday afternoon which was fantastic. The service though was less than ideal, I realised on Monday there was a fault, emailed and they said to return back to Germany and they will sent back to Tacx for repair or replacement, which to me isn't great since it was new and I would be without for weeks if not longer, I've cancelled and asking for a refund.

Rob_H

I bought a vortex from bike discount, it also had a fault when it arrived, but I contacted tacx directly and they provided a link to download software to run and update electro brake. Searching the forums it seems very common.

Buck

Guru
Do you have that link @Rob_H ?

I've checked mine and it appears to be running the latest firmware etc. from the factory but would be good to check.

Rob_H

Assuming you are getting the constant amber light issue I was getting then here is the reply: (you'll need an ant+ antenna and Windows pc/laptop)

Quote:

"We are sorry to hear that.
Good to hear you have an ANT+ antenna.

Please only download and install the software.

TTS4 Full installer 4.12
http://www.tacxdata.com/files/support/TTS4.12full.zip
How does it work

1. Make a folder on your hard disk (for example: C:\TTS4\
  2. Then download this file (1,14GB) in this directory and UNZIP the file
  3. After unzipping run the setup.exe file
  4. The software will now be installed on the system
When this is done, then please follow the attached PDF instructions."

The pdf then says to:
"
Connect the Vortex brake to power and make sure the ANT antenna is in.

Then go to this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacx\TacxTrainersoftware4\updater\TacxUpdate\

Select Vortex and then you want to Update Vortex brake firmware."

If you need the full pdf then private message me your email address and I can send on.

EddyB

Wanted to test the Bkool app on iPad with my Vortex Smart for a possible subscription. After being able to pair them (after several tries), I got the following message:

"
No trainer. Power meter selected.
With the power meter, we calculate your approximate real speed.
Unfortunately with this device you won't be able to feel the terrain.
We recommend using a compatible trainer to enjoy the full simulator experience.
"

Well, I do feel the terrain with the Vortex Smart with the Tacx iPad app, so I wonder why I get this message. Anyone experienced the same issue? Or am I doing something wrong?

rupbrown

So for a novice somewhat overweight cyclist, Tacx Vortex or Bkool Pro trainer - hate using a turbo trainer so wanting to make it as enjoyable as possible!

Penski

I received mine from Amazon about a month ago. It seemed fine when I used it, resistances changed absolutely fine as expected...ERG mode was very good. I very nearly kept it as it seemed to be fine.

The only problem was that it wouldn't calibrate...out of about 20 attempts, it did so only once. I contacted support who are quite slow, and they eventually said to return it to vendor.

Since then the replacement has arrived and it calibrates nearly every time...the rest of it feels the same.

Lars_engstrum

Howdy virtual reality devotees.

In reference to recent questions and points raised re. The tacx vortex?
I feel I may have found a difficulty when using the tacx calibration app. (android only I'm not in it for style over substance)
The aforementioned tacx app and calibration feature seem to request such a ridiculously 'tight' interface between tyre and roller that my unit at least is in danger of the blue application lever breaking off and even at so called 'perfect' calibration it's causing the trainer to make the most God awfully noise when wheel rotating?
Having had experience of using quite a few trainers over the last decade or 2, I set the unit to apply what I perceived to be more than adequate pressure negating the possible broken hardware and God awfully clicking/chainsaw noise.
Having settled on using and now paying for the cycleops vt software (have written as to this previously but believe me if you have any other trainer other than a bkool variant it is the sordid business and I mean Chris Boardmans dirty output aswell)
Utilising there calibration which uses calculation on run down from 20-23 mph I find this gives an excellent interpretation of semi reality?
There seems to he a lot of vortex users who have a problem with noisy trainers and seem to be returning them in droves.
In my opinion it's the shitty tacx calibration?
Any thoughts fellow vortex users?

Lars_engstrum

Quick question.
Does the bkool software continue to offer such a marked advantage to bkool users on downhills as to register it useless for any folk with differing smart trainers?
Happy new year all,
Master Lars Engstrum the third.

Rob_H

There seems to he a lot of vortex users who have a problem with noisy trainers and seem to be returning them in droves.
In my opinion it's the shitty tacx calibration?
Any thoughts fellow vortex users?
I've read a few threads about the Vortex before buying it, and I never saw complaints about noise. I've also not experienced anything above what would seem normal noise for a trainer. Although I had an older Tacx before this that was pretty noisy, so maybe my judgement is clouded by that.

Re. The calibration. I also couldn't get the Android app to calibrate the trainer for the first 6 or 7 attempts. It then just started working and it now works every time.

Baigu

Regular
I've read a few threads about the Vortex before buying it, and I never saw complaints about noise. I've also not experienced anything above what would seem normal noise for a trainer. Although I had an older Tacx before this that was pretty noisy, so maybe my judgement is clouded by that.

Re. The calibration. I also couldn't get the Android app to calibrate the trainer for the first 6 or 7 attempts. It then just started working and it now works every time.

Look up youtube, "Vortex Noise". I bought a Vortex in November and it's gone back to the Tacx for repair. They said (from video is sent them of my trainer) a bearing problem and brake needs to be replaced. Saying this, I am pleased with my Vortex. Works great with Zwift, a little less so with Bkool. When I get it back, I'll stick with Zwift until Bkool can fix their simulator.

Top Bottom