Taken out on commute home.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User33236

Were you showing off at riding backwards on your bike again?

GC
Must admit I am baffled at to how my calf, approx 1/3rd of the way up, could get bitten by the big chainring without breaking my leg or something lol. There is however a definite imprint of it on my bib tights.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Just had the drivers insurers on the 'phone offering any help they can be giving me their reference and contact details. Sounds to me like an admission by the driver and then teying to minimise losses. Told them I will pass it onto my lawyer :-)

Well, inflating claims is obviously wrong, so I DON'T recommend claiming that you can't have sex any more and windsurfing is impossible with your injuries. Windsurfing was your life. And the bike, well, it was less a bike, more a friend.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just had the drivers insurers on the 'phone offering any help they can be giving me their reference and contact details. Sounds to me like an admission by the driver and then teying to minimise losses. Told them I will pass it onto my lawyer :-)
That's very odd that they have contacted you. The driver in my case called me a day or two later to check I was ok (the full nastiness hadn't started by then) but I never heard from his insurance company

OP
OP
U

User33236

That's very odd that they have contacted you. The driver in my case called me a day or two later to check I was ok (the full nastiness hadn't started by then) but I never heard from his insurance company
Sounds to me she has phoned then admitting guilt and they are in damage limitation mode

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds to me she has phoned then admitting guilt and they are in damage limitation mode
About the first things the solicitor will do once you have filled in the form will be to get them to confirm liability. Good that it doesn't sound like it'll be an aggro, and she is doing the right thing. She probably feels awful. Assuming the wounds heal well, should settle quite quickly and you can get a new shiny bike :smile:

I had that after someone went into the back of me in the car, got a call a couple of days later. It was such a non event, car got pushed into me by another car going into them at lights, that I'd forgotten about it! My role had just been to check the other two drivers were ok! The repairers checked the chassis, resprayed the bumper (I don't think there was any damage but there were scratches as a 7 year old car). The hassle was I then had to tell my insurance company, which luckily didn't affect my premiums!

Say your left leg is on the upswing, impact is from the left, your leg only had to be pushed six inches or so and the teeth will bite?

OP
OP
U

User33236

Aye, but your left leg?

GC
Aye, defiantly my left leg, the opposite side from the transmission. A' dinnae know whit happened lol. I was amazed to see it myself when they pulled the bib tights off.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Say your left leg is on the upswing, impact is from the left, your leg only had to be pushed six inches or so and the teeth will bite?
That I can understand. What confused me is that it seems to far up my calf to have happened without a bit of a squash.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's my left leg that connected very hard with the frame of the bike, while it was my handlebar caught by the mirror of the car overtaking on my right. When I came off more recently while going sort of straight but preparing to turn left, again it was my left leg, but the knee that connected with the frame. I need a bike made out of foam, not sure that would work so well with my weight though!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I've known this to happen in car to car crashes, and I agree the insurer is trying to limit their liability as they would with any claim.

So nothing bad should be read into the phone call.

Quite the reverse, seems to me you have got off on the right foot with the claim, although there may be twists and turns to come.

OP
OP
U

User33236

although there may be twists and turns to come.
I plan to let Leigh Day handle all future communications as I fully expect things to change from time to time.

Unfortunate part is I am not going to address things for a bit due to a planned holiday. On the plus side her insurance are now aware on this and that they will definitely hear from LD in due course therefore it is not a case of me not being intersted in claiming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom