Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Well, today, right here right now. Was wending my way along a line of parked cars.
There's a transit van, sort of has to be, parked facing oncoming traffic.
Suddenly pulls out and continues on the wrong side of the road towards me.

Gives me a lot of verbal for being in his way. Usual informed and thought through reasoning with creative use of his repertoire of profanities.
Led me to wonder why we don't teach profanity as a subject, in school. That way at least these exchanges might embrace some variety and allow a creative outlet.

We could start the F*Oscars with different classes, styles and genres. There would have to the F*d'Or for the best spontaneous and unrehearsed outburst.

I would usually address such a driver in French, "On roule a gauche ici, Monsieur!", and then if they look baffled, in German "Hier muss man auf die linken seite fahren!" ... really winds them up !!

Gwylan

Veteran
i have to be good and not share those words my naughty colleagues taught me.

Todays commute happened twice: I cycled to work on the tourer, and then a few hours later realised I needed to pick something up for work, so cycled back, swapped for the load carrier and went to do the pickup.

This is the advantage of a short, flat, largely traffic free commute.

On the way home I'm going to Lidl which will be exciting.

Not from today, as I did my first commute in around 5 years on Tuesday.

I loved the ride in the morning, traffic wasn't heavy, I wasn't feeling rushed or stressed. Got to work with a few minutes to spare, which I hadn't accounted for taking a little longer on my first attempt.
Tuesday was drizzling/mizzling, no major downpour, but was nice enough.

I got to work ok, but trying to get home was another story.

Clearly me not eating during the day took part of the toll, plus I felt like I'd damaged some muscles in my calves (both outer sides killed), and I could not get on the pedals for more than a few rotations.
My commute is 30 minutes, but clearly a mix of dehydration, lack of food, heat and my arthritis all took hold of me.

I was forced to slowly walk home, hating each time I heard my cleat scrape pavement.
I tried to ask a neighbour to help me, but they didn't respond till I'd gotten home.

Wednesday, I simply died.

Oh, and add to the above. I've shredded both inner thighs to bits. So that's always fun!

Not from today, as I did my first commute in around 5 years on Tuesday.

I loved the ride in the morning, traffic wasn't heavy, I wasn't feeling rushed or stressed. Got to work with a few minutes to spare, which I hadn't accounted for taking a little longer on my first attempt.
Tuesday was drizzling/mizzling, no major downpour, but was nice enough.

I got to work ok, but trying to get home was another story.

Clearly me not eating during the day took part of the toll, plus I felt like I'd damaged some muscles in my calves (both outer sides killed), and I could not get on the pedals for more than a few rotations.
My commute is 30 minutes, but clearly a mix of dehydration, lack of food, heat and my arthritis all took hold of me.

I was forced to slowly walk home, hating each time I heard my cleat scrape pavement.
I tried to ask a neighbour to help me, but they didn't respond till I'd gotten home.

Wednesday, I simply died.

Oh, and add to the above. I've shredded both inner thighs to bits. So that's always fun!

Ouch.

On the other hand, you've identified the things you need to do differently. Next week will be better.

First morning commute since September 9th. I had to step away from riding due to health issues. I am not quiet all better, but so nice to be back on the road again.

rivers

How far can I go?
My TT bike was my easiest accessible bike this morning (ie not in the cupboard and had pedals attached) so that's what I took to work. 4 minutes faster to the train station with less effort and 3 minutes faster from the train station home. But, you can't hang it on the stupid GWR racks due to the deep section wheels

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Should be good for 10 miles home?

Right?

Right??

😬

20220713_075659.jpg

Well the first commute in nearly a month due to going on holiday where I trapped a nerve in my upper back, 4 days of pain which then suddenly vanished as I went for a swim. then a few days later I pulled a hamstring trying out that physically demanding sport of crown green bowls, just as I got over that I woke up with a painful knee which persisted for 4 days.
so last night I prepared everything with the bike sat in the living room I pumped the tyres up a smidge more, then sat and watched the TDF highlights as the programme finished there was a pop and a hiss, a puncture suddenly had appeared in the middle of the tread. ( tubeless) pumped it up again and sat it in its own sealant. This morning still hard. Loaded it into the car got to my parking spot in Chigwell, unloaded the car, tyre flat, pumped it up no leaks WTF!
Commute was fine apart from a small incident came across some workmen setting up roadworks and the lights , it went around a bend so you cant see the other side of the lights. Well traffic got well pissed off with the workmen taking their time and generally lounging about with one guy trying to figure out the lights so a fair amount of honking horns went on with the workmen basically giving the drivers the finger. Well the one bloke fecked up as when our lights went green so must have the other sides as there was nearly a head on smash, whilst they tried to sort out who was to back up I slipped through the roadworks another advantage of having a bike!

Top Bottom