tax insurance & cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not helped by referring to VED as road tax to begin with
VD now isn't it?

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Do you think a number plate like this would help discourage close passes?

cyclists_should_have_number_plates_be_taxed_blah.png

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Chill, it's a joke that highlights the stupidity of those who think a number plate can be mounted on a bike, as it would have to be that big for anyone to read it :okay:

iwantanewbike

Über Member
I sometimes get asked to empty the dishwasher or make a tea...

Philhh

Quite simply if you pay road tax that should cover youand your family for a bikes as well -then you get into the argument of how much road tax- I do less than 10000 miles per year why should my tax be the same as a sales reps who might do 40000 miles per Year? surely he should pay 4 times as much as me based on his road usage or does it just come from petrol tax?

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I must say. when people resumed the "discussion" and I mentioned the point was moot they got pretty upset, I basically said if you want the government to legislate for this and you have the admins etc it would come from government coffers and would cost a cyclist nothing, I said inline with what electric cars are charged under emission tax we're the same. I mentioned that some household insurances cover you for liability.

They regressed to basically all cyclists are clueless roads are for cars etc, I said actually roads were created before cars and horse and cart and cyclist would've been the first roads users.

I was also asked under what basis I am qualified to use the roads, I said I have a drivers licence so I am deemed a safe road user, and if they want I can dig out my cyclising proficiency cert from school!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was also asked under what basis I am qualified to use the roads, I said I have a drivers licence so I am deemed a safe road user, and if they want I can dig out my cyclising proficiency cert from school!

The response to that is to ask them why they think a licence is required before you're allowed out on the road in two tonnes of lethal machinery. As a supplementary question, ask them to provide figures for how many people are killed or seriously injured by cyclists every year.

Do they also query whether pedestrians are qualified to use the roads?

Top Bottom