Tax statement in invoice - what should it say?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I need a spot of help from you entrepreneur types.

Besides my proper job, I do a bit of music teaching. I invoice for this, naturally, and have a standard invoice form.

I've recently been doing some teaching for a school, and they need my invoice to contain a statement to the effect that I'm responsible for my own tax and NI arrangements (presumably so that they don't get penalised for not treating me as an employee).

What form of words should this statement include to make it legally watertight?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If it's any use I have a contract written by an organisation I do tutoring for and it says:

Tutor Tax Status

The Tutor is subcontracted by <organisation> for this project only and no other employment is implied. Tax and National Insurance payments are the sole responsibility of the Tutor.

HTH

Anne

Any statement that you make to them will have no legal standing as the question as to whether you are employed or self-employed is determined by the nature and conditions of the work involved.

However many businesses look for a bit of false re-assurance by establishing that the contractor is at least registered as self-employed with HMRC- so I would suggest something along the lines of

I am registered as self-employed with HM Revenue & Customs under the refererence 55555 44444(insert your UTR) and as such am responsible for paying my own tax and national insurance contributions.

It won't mean much but will probably keep them happy!

Top Bottom