Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Oh yes, looking forward to "afterbike" with the chaingang the 3rd. Hope to find a place with some good beer. Anyone know some nice pubs/cafe's in Peterborough?
Thats a bit 'posh' going to Peterborough...I hear they do a good beer festival but not sure when it is...

LBHIFI

Veteran
I’ve tried training before work for the same reason Lars. It’s always tough for me trying to juggle work, family and the cycling. I just found it too tough because my job is quite physically demanding, but I wish I could of got it to work for me. Are you doing a traineroad plan?
No, it's a TodaysPlan plan. I chose that because of it's interaction with Zwift. I have just done a week of endurance sessions to get used to the 3:30 AM sessions and the lack of sleep is really getting to me. I'll have to snatch a short nap after fetching the kids from school.

Get's me thinking about what the Race Across America riders are enduring, which must be times 10 at least.

Does half way up cheddar gorge count?
This is not in my British slang book.
No, it's a TodaysPlan plan. I chose that because of it's interaction with Zwift. I have just done a week of endurance sessions to get used to the 3:30 AM sessions and the lack of sleep is really getting to me. I'll have to snatch a short nap after fetching the kids from school.

Get's me thinking about what the Race Across America riders are enduring, which must be times 10 at least.
My co-worker who did the RAAM had also done the Furnace 508 riding 508 miles in 38 hours. I have a hard time getting up at 5:30 to get a half hour ride before work.

Edit. Posting link for @BILL S and @Ryan lawman
https://www.the508.net/#intro

Last edited:

Breedon

Legendary Member

Ive commuted to work getting up at 4.30am leaving at 5.30 then 2 hours commute full days work (not sat at a desk) then 2 hours commute back 65 miles round trip it was a killer and in November so pitch black going and coming home it was tough going and for 2 weeks.
full kudos for the very early starts, i couldn't do them now i dont think

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Ive commuted to work getting up at 4.30am leaving at 5.30 then 2 hours commute full days work (not sat at a desk) then 2 hours commute back 65 miles round trip it was a killer and in November so pitch black going and coming home it was tough going and for 2 weeks.
full kudos for the very early starts, i couldn't do them now i dont think

I used to get up an hour before I went to bed, cycle for 24 hours to get to work and then work all day and cycle 24 hours back and do the same the next day 7 days a week every day of the year and pay my boss for the privilege of working.
Tell the kids of today and they won't believe you.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I used to get up an hour before I went to bed, cycle for 24 hours to get to work and then work all day and cycle 24 hours back and do the same the next day 7 days a week every day of the year and pay my boss for the privilege of working.
Tell the kids of today and they won't believe you.
They probably would believe you as the standard of maths they teach these days...

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

That sounds really really tough! 3:30am is brutal. I’ve met other guys who have trained for a long time in central London early in the mornings to avoid the cars, and their bodies have adapted to it. But yeah, very tough.

I haven’t tried it long term. The only thing I can compare it to is when I was younger and trying to buy a house and working long days, 7 days a week. It might sound stupid but you have to really try and wake up each morning no more tired than you were the morning before when you woke.

Check out this for a brutal race! I hadn’t heard of it before a guy who cycles around the park as me completes last year.

https://www.yellowjersey.co.uk/transcontinental-bike-race-qa-rory-mccarron/

Maybe next year huh guys?

AAAC 76C

Large Member
That sounds really really tough! 3:30am is brutal. I’ve met other guys who have trained for a long time in central London early in the mornings to avoid the cars, and their bodies have adapted to it.

They are easy to spot in the daytime though:

598c9586c3f43.jpg

Top Bottom