Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Five hours, 363 watts: Wout van Aert’s Strava ride reveals his massive effort at Strade Bianche
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...-at-strade-bianche-371860#hhCyfcq4bTMrYosz.99

Unsurprisingly, the Verandas Willems-Crelan rider hit his peak heart rate of 196bpm on the final climb up into Siena, putting in a huge effort as he tried to stay on Bardet’s wheel.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...-at-strade-bianche-371860#hhCyfcq4bTMrYosz.99

peterob

Veteran
But it is still fun and keeps the old ticker on the go.
BKool really is a VR fitness game, no point in denying it.
Yeah - you and Tommy are right of course. There's no point in worrying about watts and idiosyncrasies with Bkool. Soon the longer evenings will be upon us and I'll be out in trw more where there'll only be one conclusion as to why I'm struggling up the hills :laugh:

peterob

Veteran
Five hours, 363 watts: Wout van Aert’s Strava ride reveals his massive effort at Strade Bianche

Unsurprisingly, the Verandas Willems-Crelan rider hit his peak heart rate of 196bpm on the final climb up into Siena, putting in a huge effort as he tried to stay on Bardet’s wheel.
I'll have a good look at that in the morning. In my opinion the classics season is the best racing during the year and the Strade Bianche shows why - with a GT GC contender, cyclo-cross champion and strongman all vying for the win.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I'll have a good look at that in the morning. In my opinion the classics season is the best racing during the year and the Strade Bianche shows why - with a GT GC contender, cyclo-cross champion and strongman all vying for the win.

I agree. MSR wasn’t too shabby a finish either.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Pete I think you’re on the long journey to acceptance! ^_^

The conclusion is whether or not you can make peace with the fact that BKOOL has a questionable relationship to reality. It’s possible we are all faster than pep tache. Or perhaps he is faster than all of us. In truth we have no idea who is faster than who in the ‘real world’ if we use BKOOL as our guide.

Maybe one style of riding is optimal over another. Maybe one trainer is more generous than another. The end of the journey is when you accept that it’s all irrelevant and you can only race with the parameters you are given. Then it’s just a question of whether or not you can make peace with this reality, or join the splitters. Who come back here from time to time, to act as unpaid flag bearers for the dark side!

You mean the rest are unpaid ? Shhh....

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
This is the conclusion I drew too. Still lots of fun. But I had to go on a bit of a journey first!
For me, a 90 minute ride on a turbo is a 90 minute ride irrespective of the watts and speed if my aim is to get fit. The fact that one trainer has me travelling at 40kph and 300 watts and the other at 30kph and 200 watts doesn't make any difference to my aim to get fit. It obviously impacts racing as I can no longer tap at the heels of Bill or Brusgaard, but I'm just as happy racing those in team beige. And the handicap races let me go off early anyway so any trainer advantage is mostly wiped out.

The biggest disadvantage for me over my 2 trainers in Bkool is the Pro gives me a false sense of how far I've actually ridden so when I get in the real world it's a bit of a culture shock. But I just need to keep that in mind.

Both trainers work fine in Zwift with the Pro sometimes having super powers but only very infrequently (3 times for me). Mostly the times and power are similar, and I am still setting pbs in Zwift on the Kickr that I'd previously set on the Pro.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I think I'm with @Whorty, for me the turbo gives me the ability to ride routes I've ridden the previous summer during the dark times of the winter. Yes it would be nice if the turbo simulated those rides better, but I'm going to be fitter for riding on the turbo, than I will be hibernating for 5 months. I have on occasion this winter, since getting involved with the 'racing' on cyclechat thought that I really need to get a better more realistic turbo, which AFAIAC would be the Neo, but then would I be any better off? If I was interested in real Watts I can by a pair of Vector 3's for the same price, and have the benefit of the data when riding IRL, plus other simulators allow you to pair both PM and Trainer, so for the time being, and the foreseeable future, I'll be using the Pro and have to accept that there is no way I'm putting out nearly 600W up a 1% gradient, with a cadence of 90 on a 50/12, and a HR of 162! :rofl: ... I can't get 600W with that setup going downhill let alone Up!

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
So I'm thinking tomorrow we should have a last go at a decent TTT Handicap before the clocks go forward for summer time!

Hopefully we can get full teams, so who's up for it? @Add now's your chance! :hyper:

Team Beige - @berty bassett [B]@Jim Brown[/B] [B]@rob01792[/B] @Arkone56 @Goldwolfie and @Merida reacto 4000

Team Red - @LBHIFI @perswe [COLOR=#bfbfbf]@Rod McG[/COLOR] @Add [B]@Del C[/B] [B]@bert1971[/B]
@LBHIFI in either Red or Green depending on numbers

Team Green -
@Daddy Pig [COLOR=#bfbfbf]@Brusgaard[/COLOR] @keithaitch [B]@Aleman[/B] @Whorty (Bkool Pro) @BaldyZ1 (@JJRobinson off lambing!)
@Daddy Pig in either Green or Blue depending on numbers?

Team Blue - [B]@AAAC 76C[/B] @bridgy [B]@BILL S[/B] [B]@peterob[/B]

Anyone else who wants to join in?

Geoff

Last edited:

Del C

Veteran
I have on occasion this winter, since getting involved with the 'racing' on cyclechat thought that I really need to get a better more realistic turbo, which AFAIAC would be the Neo, but then would I be any better off?

The same thought has been going through my head.

I've been playing around with cadence and how frequently I ride, but really what I'm trying to do is get as close as I can to the feeling or riding in the real world.

But then again , when it goes well all that goes out of my head and I get carried along by the enjoyment of racing and an improved performance.

So, is that more important to me after all?

For me, a 90 minute ride on a turbo is a 90 minute ride irrespective of the watts and speed if my aim is to get fit. The fact that one trainer has me travelling at 40kph and 300 watts and the other at 30kph and 200 watts doesn't make any difference to my aim to get fit. It obviously impacts racing as I can no longer tap at the heels of Bill or Brusgaard, but I'm just as happy racing those in team beige. And the handicap races let me go off early anyway so any trainer advantage is mostly wiped out.

The biggest disadvantage for me over my 2 trainers in Bkool is the Pro gives me a false sense of how far I've actually ridden so when I get in the real world it's a bit of a culture shock. But I just need to keep that in mind.

Both trainers work fine in Zwift with the Pro sometimes having super powers but only very infrequently (3 times for me). Mostly the times and power are similar, and I am still setting pbs in Zwift on the Kickr that I'd previously set on the Pro.

So, how do the trainers really compare to you?

As I said above, I'm at the start of thinking about getting a direct drive trainer. I've also though for a long time about giving Zwift a go.

The direct drive option is really me wanting to find out if its more realistic, but I could buy one and then feel, so what? Why did I bother?

If I can try Zwift on Bkool and get an accurate feel for it, then obviously I should do that.

But then as @TurboTommy has said, I suspect I'd come back to thinking that I'd miss the Chain Gang and Handicap rides. And I always think that if Bkool just got its quality issues under control, then its range of rides available should make it the best simulator around......... but that's a long way to go right now.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
So I'm thinking tomorrow we should have a last go at a decent TTT Handicap before the clocks go forward for summer time!

Hopefully we can get full teams, so who's up for it? @Add now's your chance! :hyper:

Team Beige - @berty bassett @Jim Brown @rob01792 @Arkone56 @Goldwolfie and @Merida reacto 4000

Team Red - @LBHIFI @perswe @Rod McG @Add @Del C @bert1971

Team Green -
@Daddy Pig @Brusgaard @keithaitch @Aleman @Whorty (Bkool Pro) @BaldyZ1 (@JJRobinson off lambing!)

Team Blue - @AAAC 76C @bridgy @BILL S @peterob

Geoff

I should be good to go..

Del C

Veteran

Team Beige - @berty bassett @Jim Brown @rob01792 @Arkone56 @Goldwolfie and @Merida reacto 4000

Team Green -
@Daddy Pig @Brusgaard @keithaitch @Aleman @Whorty (Bkool Pro) @BaldyZ1 (@JJRobinson off lambing!)

Geoff

I'm in!

BILL S

Guru

Team Green -

Geoff

I'll be there Geoff.

Top Bottom