Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Thanks for posting the vid Brusgaard. It clearly shows something like a dead stop at the start where you and I get totally caught by it but the three in front don't.

It was an evening of dead stops for me.
It's got worse.
In the CG I stuck my head down as normal and went for it, looked up and I was pretty much stationary.

I beg to differ!

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Do you have some video to back up your claim? :tongue:

Regardless it shows how they are trying to fix their algorithms with bolt-ons.
It's very hard to simulate the starting resistance without setting the resistance to the max to start with (i.e magnets fully engaged with the flywheel) as until your flywheel gets some speed the electro-magnetic break effect is very low.
Instead it sounds like they are doing it in the SW rather than attempt to make the the firmware and hardware work correctly.
I don't think any of us really cared about the sprint starts because it was a level field (relatively). The best way to combat it properly would to have a neutralised zone so we are all rolling before the race starts and if you get to the start too quick then you are dead stopped by the firmware but your resistance remains at the average speed required for the neutralise zone.
That would probably have quirks as well so they should have left it alone.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
You caught me out, amazing effort by the young Terpstra though.
There was exactly the wrong mix in the chasing group which gave him the edge.

Maybe, I couldn’t watch the video, and didn’t watch the race either. :smile:

Regarding the neutralized zone, many of the Zwift races start out that way. You start with the riders in your selected level (A-E), and shortly after the start, we are joined by the other groups in one big peloton. But AFAIK that doesn’t stop you from going balls out from the get go.

Haven’t had a perfect start on Zwift yet. I need to start pedalling 2-3 seconds BEFORE the start on my Direto, and if not, I am lost already. :sad:

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
in zwift you can and should pedal like crazy before countdown finishes to give you a good start . there is resistance though and the pace soon settles down.
it would be good if they both ( bkool and zwift ) just done it standing starts with resistance - would nt have thought that would be too hard to do - but what do i know !

Brusgaard

Über Guru
in zwift you can and should pedal like crazy before countdown finishes to give you a good start . there is resistance though and the pace soon settles down.
it would be good if they both ( bkool and zwift ) just done it standing starts with resistance - would nt have thought that would be too hard to do - but what do i know !

Hmm... I think I have to stop pedalling in Zwift before I can start, just like in Bkool? On my Bkool in BSIM I stop pedalling 16 seconds before the start, but on my Direto (in Zwift) it is more like 23-26 seconds, before the flywheel comes to a halt.

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Hmm... I think I have to stop pedalling in Zwift before I can start, just like in Bkool? On my Bkool in BSIM I stop pedalling 16 seconds before the start, but on my Direto (in Zwift) it is more like 23-26 seconds, before the flywheel comes to a halt.
i have to stop in bkool then when buzzer goes , wade through treacle
in zwift i can turn up before the race , keep warming up and as the countdown gets close , ramp up the effort for a quick get away
dont think i am the only one ! unless i have missed an update

CXRAndy

Guru
You never stop pedalling in Zwift for starts. If you join the start 10 mins before the race keep pedalling to keep warm, then with 30 secs or less ramp it up, 750W is a good proper wattage to start with. Everyone flies off the line, sustain for 1-2 mins and settle into race.

bobinski

Legendary Member
i have to stop in bkool then when buzzer goes , wade through treacle
in zwift i can turn up before the race , keep warming up and as the countdown gets close , ramp up the effort for a quick get away
dont think i am the only one ! unless i have missed an update

Nope, still the same. If you can push big watts you get away. On a flat course big watts riders will stay away too provided they don’t weaken too much. It’s the hilly courses I like where us lighter guys get the opportunity to rein some of those explosive starters back in as the road goes up.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
As Lee says, you need to be up to speed 10 secs before the gun. Then you should be able to stay with and react faster to early breaks. If you're not at ftp by the start you'll be dropped like a kickr user on bkool :whistle:

CXRAndy

Guru
Nope, still the same. If you can push big watts you get away. On a flat course big watts riders will stay away too provided they don’t weaken too much. It’s the hilly courses I like where us lighter guys get the opportunity to rein some of those explosive starters back in as the road goes up.
:tongue::whistle:

Top Bottom