Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Not sure Geoff - unlike the Bkool Pro,the Kickr has a built in power Meter so I always assumed it sent it's power reading to the Bkool software to then calculate speed, and this was the reason Kickr users had a disadvantage on Bkool compared to Bkool Pro users?

That would be sensible, but many comments here have stated that Bkool just goes on the wheel speed and therefore the power reading is just for information! Otherwise using a power meter with a Bkool trainer would at least partly equalize the field, but my understanding is that it does not.

I fear that the main reason why non Bkool trainers have a disadvantage is entirely down to the fact that the Bkool trainer does not apply enough resistance and the simulator algorithm has several Bkool trainer only "features" that give advantages (mainly "momentum" adjustments).

For exactly the reasons you state, I don't think the KICKR manual adjustments would help on Zwift but would probably help on Bkool.

Either way, when @theboxers tries it out we should all learn something about the Bkool simulator! :okay:

Geoff

@BILL S Does today's race take place where you went for vacation earlier this year?

CXRAndy

Guru
Something in the Air tonight

Velonews:-
With the explosion of indoor riding’s popularity, it’s no surprise Bkool is back at it with a new smart trainer to pair with its virtual environment. The Smart Air direct-drive trainer offers a realistic ride, according to Bkool. It’s got 6 degrees of side to side movement for a more natural feel when you’re pedaling out of the saddle. It also uses infrared sensors to gauge power and maintain a 2 percent accuracy. It also simulates up to a 25 percent grade, and it offers 3,000 watts of power. Also neato: It sorta looks like a real bike. Hey, appearances matter too.
:whistle:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BKOOL-Air-Smart-Trainer_110998.htm

Last edited:

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Something in the Air tonight

Velonews:-
With the explosion of indoor riding’s popularity, it’s no surprise Bkool is back at it with a new smart trainer to pair with its virtual environment. The Smart Air direct-drive trainer offers a realistic ride, according to Bkool.

You can try it at a bikefair here in Denmark this weekend. The ones displaying it, is one of the largest online bike stuff retailers and also the official distributor here in Denmark, which actually resides 15 km from me. Unfortunately the fair is close to Copenhagen, so unfortunately I can’t try it. I did suggest them taking it back to Skive for me to test. :smile: But I suspect the Bkool representatve keeps it under close guard, and it goes with him to the next fair og back to Spain.

bridgy

Legendary Member
That would be sensible, but many comments here have stated that Bkool just goes on the wheel speed and therefore the power reading is just for information! Otherwise using a power meter with a Bkool trainer would at least partly equalize the field, but my understanding is that it does not.

I fear that the main reason why non Bkool trainers have a disadvantage is entirely down to the fact that the Bkool trainer does not apply enough resistance and the simulator algorithm has several Bkool trainer only "features" that give advantages (mainly "momentum" adjustments).

For exactly the reasons you state, I don't think the KICKR manual adjustments would help on Zwift but would probably help on Bkool.

Either way, when @theboxers tries it out we should all learn something about the Bkool simulator! :okay:

Geoff
This is all speculation I know but I had always assumed that the Pro broadcasts speed as it doesn't have a power meter (along with other similar trainers of different makes) and lets the software estimate power based on this, whilst trainers like the kickr that do have built in PMs broadcast power instead, and let the software calculate speed. I could very much be wrong though! Yeah will be interesting to see the results of TB's test

AAAC 76C

Large Member
I've just re-watched Rainmaker's video on the KICKR Climb and I wonder if it doesn't provide a simple cheat with Bkool?

He comments that when you override the automatic mode for the KICKR and increase or decrease the gradient setting that the KICKR matches this gradient with appropriate resistance, rather than applying the resistance sent from any simulator. He manually moves it up to +20% and struggles to pedal.

It immediately occurs to me that if you were to manually put the Climb at a lower gradient the resistance would be reduced below where it should be and the wheel speed could be much increased, fooling bkool as it appears to use wheel speed only and assumes the correct resistance has been applied.

Set the climb on 0% (or even -10%) and smash every climb record on bkool?

Anyone with a Climb care to try this out (at the risk of being labelled a "cheat")? :whistle:

Regards,

Geoff

xx

:ohmy::angel:

BILL S

Guru
@BILL S Does today's race take place where you went for vacation earlier this year?
Well spotted Randy. :smile:Its not the same island but it is in the same sea :smile:. I hadn't even noticed myself that todays ride is in the med.:huh:

shimceltic

Veteran
Won't be on tonight as I've just ate this about an hour ago

Attachments

• 20181110_151406.jpg
    20181110_151406.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom