The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I got my last half century challenge ride in yesterday, 2nd December. I rode 163km and the temperature varied from 4 degrees to minus 4 degrees. I was going to go for the 200km but the route passed my house and it was too tempting not to bail out. I certainly had the 200 in me. But that can wait for another, warmer, day.

It did not go all smoothly though. I thought I would ride from home and do a Jutland coast to coast. I got ready and rode the 3km from home to the sea and took some photos. I had to pass the house to carry on with my route and dropped in for a pee and to collect a bike pump. But then I couldn't find my helmet. I looked everywhere but couldn't find it. I realised I must have left it on the beach whilst taking photos. I checked the photos on the camera and I am stood there, helmetless. So I rode the 3km back to the beach but couldn't find my helmet and realised I had forgotten the bike pump. So on the way past the house for the 2nd time I went into the shed to collect the pump. There on the bench, where it always lives, was my helmet. I then realised I had not put it on when I set off for the beach the first time. So my first 12km was spent looking for a helmet that was on the bench. 6km of my ride was not registered on Strava as I left the phone on the kitchen table. I actually rode 169km, but who is counting?

I can only put the helmet issue down to being nearly 60. ^_^

I am looking forward to next years century challenge. But would never have got this far without doing the half century challenge. To improve I think it is vital that you set yourself goals.

Good luck to the rest of you guys. Get your last ride in quickly.
https://www.strava.com/activities/791656626

13 rider

Guru
Failed :sad:

I've completely lost my mojo and spent nearly a month off the bike altogether. Had a decent ride last weekend, but time pressure stopped me at 24 miles and on the last day of nov, I just couldn't get motivated to ride. It was a nice day too....

Oh dear.
Sorry to hear that mike I was looking forward to another new year's eve last minute ride again . Hope you get your mojo back soon

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got the required December ride in today; another one on my new singlespeed bike. My riding companions seemed impressed by how I got up the steepest part of the main climb in my 52/19 gear. They also said that I was riding faster on the flat and gently uphill parts of the route than I normally do on my geared bike.

I just checked and I did 100+ km rides in 7 of the 11 months leading up to December. It is possible that I will get one in this month too. I think it will always be a struggle for me to get out on long rides Dec-Mar so the 100 km a month challenge is, er, challenging for me! Having the 50 km challenge is a good fall-back option for me. I have done the metric a month before and I think I will have another go in 2017, but I will run the 50 km challenge in parallel.

I am almost certain to fall short of my distance target for this year. I had set that in miles and was aiming for 4,200 miles. I am currently at 85% of that and should achieve 90%, maybe a bit more, but I doubt that I will manage to ride another 612 miles in the 28 days remaining.

My annual distances would be 50+% higher if I lived somewhere flatter. I typically achieve 9-12 mph on hilly local routes. I think the same level of effort would see me doing 18+ mph on the flat.

Anyway ... more riding to be done yet this year!

I've completely lost my mojo and spent nearly a month off the bike altogether. Had a decent ride last weekend, but time pressure stopped me at 24 miles and on the last day of nov, I just couldn't get motivated to ride. It was a nice day too....

Oh dear.
Been there, done that, failed to don the cycling jersey! :whistle:

It happens to many of us from time to time. See if you can find some company for your rides to motivate you to get out. I lined up 3 locals for today's ride and got up after less than 5 hours sleep to do it. If they hadn't been waiting for me, I wouldn't have bothered.

Sorry to hear that mike I was looking forward to another new year's eve last minute ride again . Hope you get your mojo back soon
Seconded!

Loads of folk hitting their target which is wonderful to see. Thanks to everyone for getting me there too in my first full year of riding. Took the new bike onto the gravel for the first time today and had a wonderful birthday ride. Also managed to hit my Strava challenge target of one a month for 2016. Just a little annoyed that if I'd thought about this in January I could have done the century challenge too (maybe).

13 rider

Guru
Loads of folk hitting their target which is wonderful to see. Thanks to everyone for getting me there too in my first full year of riding. Took the new bike onto the gravel for the first time today and had a wonderful birthday ride. Also managed to hit my Strava challenge target of one a month for 2016. Just a little annoyed that if I'd thought about this in January I could have done the century challenge too (maybe).
Well done @Sbudge and happy Birthday too

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well done @NorthernDave I see you figured out the star it looks good :okay:

Cheers @13 rider - yep, figured it out. So glad to get the challenge completed as I'd only done a handful of 50km rides before starting it (and I think my first 50 miler was on January 1st this year...) ^_^

13 rider

Guru
Evenin' all, I would like to take on one of the challenges in 2017. Certain I can do a metric 50 a month with ease but may struggle for an imperial in the colder months.
Keep your eyes out for the challenges for 2017 there are 3 to choose from the half century ( you chose km or miles ) metric century ( 64.3 miles ) and imperial century . They all provide a challenge and motivation to get some miles in especially in the winter months

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Keep your eyes out for the challenges for 2017 there are 3 to choose from the half century ( you chose km or miles ) metric century ( 64.3 miles ) and imperial century . They all provide a challenge and motivation to get some miles in especially in the winter months

Yep, i don't think I have the commitment for the longer rides in the winter but as I say 50k is doable. My trouble being cold feet with which I suffer badly. I like the fact that you can do both 50k or 50m in the same challenge and still qualify. Hopefully get the imperial in most months with a few metrics when the cold strikes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Oh dear.

I've ridden with Mike and he qualifies for the term 'nice guy', so I'm sorry to hear he's struggling for motivation.

My advice would be to look on the positive side, give yourself a pat on the back for the 10 challenge rides you've completed, rather than beat yourself up for the two you didn't.

Can't help much more, although if @ColinJ puts on a forum ride you fancy, I will do my best to turn out.

Which you may, or may not, see as encouragement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom