The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
Possibly the last opportunity for a ride this year so took it while I could. Yesterday the temperature reached 45.5C according to the display in the van and tomorrow is forecast to get to 42C and I don't fancy doing anything in those temperatures. Today was a bearable 32 (apart from the bit where I stopped to recharge the garmin).
Took the 'Explorer Bikeway' from Goolwa to Victor Harbour and back again. I downloaded the official GPX and tried to follow that. Don't know how they generated it though because some of it doesn't even go along a path, track, or road. There are some signs though, but even then, some of the turns were completely unsigned so led to a bit of guesswork with vague cues from the GPX.
Nice ride though. Not a lot of traffic and hardly anyone else walking or cycling on the route. I had to stop off at the bank in Victor Harbour and got chatting. Was given several bottles of cold water which was nice.
Now time for a swim to cool off.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Just read in my ride today thread @steveindenmark has done his qualifying ride so well done @steveindenmark he's no28 when he updates the challenge thread

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I thought I was doing a 25 miler but did a bit more than I thought. If I had looked at my phone I would have gone up and down the road to get to 31. But it was raining heavily at that point!

Will plan better next time I promise....
I believe I read you were getting a GPS for Xmas ( 🎅 told me ) which will hopefully make planning easier

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well I have just completed my 50km challenge for the year. Thats my fourtb consecutive year.

This years was the easiest due to the very mild weather, here in Denmark. 66km this morning and I was boiling.

I think I will miss this challenge next year and turn my attention to the travelogues and in particular to weekend bikepacking.

I wish you all a merry chritmas and happy new year...

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Got my Dec qualifying ride in today. After 2 weks of man flu, thought I was over it but once on the bike turned into a coughing mucus producing machine, Found it a bit of a struggle over the last few months, mostly in finding the time to get out, and when you do so little I find it becomes less enjoyable as you are not as fit as you should be, Still, all 12 months completed and looking forward to more regular riding next year. Thanks for the challenge, its got me out when it would have been easier to say "Nah-won't bother"!

Slick

Guru
Not exactly sure why, only thing I can think of is the unseasonably mild weather we are getting here, but I've decided to make good use of it by getting out when I can. I wasn't entirely sure what or where I was going today but I did have it in my mind to find a decent route down to Kilmarnock and maybe cheat a bit by getting the train back but happy to wait to see how the weather held out before deciding. I did get a bit annoyed about 15 miles in or so when I got a puncture and discovered a but of glass in the tyre, which was no great surprise as the cycle path is littered with glass so I took to the road much to the annoyance of more than one motorist but one old boy could be seen pointing to the cycle path when his wife close passed me and I would have loved the chance to pass him again and point to the M77 and ask why he wasn't using that, fud. :evil: Many thanks to the number of cyclists who stopped to ensure I had everything I needed, which I did but it was still much appreciated.

After a coffee and a huge chunk of chocolate cake, I decided to give the train a miss and try to find a better route home, which I did, which will now get used for future trips. It's my 50th coming up so i thought it was apt I completed 50 miles today, although I did consider upping the anti to try for 100k but the day started to turn so settled for 50. December is fast turning into my most productive month and I have plans for a Christmas ride and a pre new year ride so still time for another couple of points for a fairly modest haul due to a number of commute rides that don't qualify but still my best year so far. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got mine in today (50.5 moderately lumpy km)! A friend emailed me yesterday to see if I would be free, which I was. She offered post-ride cake, mince pies and a scone. I responded with a 'yes please' and an offer of post-ride coffee.

It was very mild for the solstice, and a few minutes of very light drizzle never developed into anything worse. We even saw blue skies a few times!

I had hardly ridden my bike for the past month and a half, so it was good to get this ride in today. My legs definitely felt like they have been slacking.

So now I have to get my final big ride of the year done - a 161 km slog for my 'Lunacy Challenge'. It will have to wait until after Christmas; let's hope that there is another mild, dry day before I run out of time.

Top Bottom