The bakers' thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been baking bread for a friend who couldn't get any in the shops. And will be doing a loaf for me tomorrow.

Am just sticking to basic "bread-in-a-hurry" for now as it's idiot proof. No fiddling around with unnecessary ingredients and steps etc, as I really don't want any booboos. Or frisbees...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Since I cannot get oatmeal and have limited porridge oats which I like to use in my bread I fancy trying something different. I have some Allbran which I use in a recipe I got on this thread so I will crush some of it and see how that goes. I also found some weetabix type things in the cupboard. Clearing out stuff not likely to be used anyway so it could start a trend.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Had a go at a classic ciabatta recipe today and looking forward to eating the result...

20200325_150454.jpg

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
We gave up when my wife produced a tomato flavoured meteorite that even a 2.5lb lump hammer couldn't crack open.

So that’s your wife, what’s your excuse?

Made what is now my usual idiot-proof "bread-in-a-hurry" yesterday. Turned out very nicely, I must say. Can't recommend atta flour highly enough.

Admittedly it's not got as much flavour as a loaf that takes a day and a half longer to prepare and bake, but right now, with flour on the shelves as rare as unicorn farts, I really don't want to be making any mistakes...

Reactions: C R

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I like to make my own oatcakes but since the local coop refuses to stock oatmeal and I cannot get to Oban I as usual experimented. I may sometimes be able to get porridge oats so used 70% porridge oats,20% fine oatmeal and 10% plain flour. Added a tablespoon of bog standard cooking oil with a touch of salt and sugar and made into a thick dough with water. Left this for an hour or thereabouts and made into a ball with my hands using water as lubricant before flattening out with my palm using water on a non stick surface. Purists would use a rolling pin. This was then transferred to a griddle and cooked on a highish heat till they looked ready. [in Scotland I have always heard this referred to as a girdle] Turn over of course when one side is done. Water is used rather than oatmeal when flattening and also to get a lifter under to transfer to the griddle to conserve oatmeal but it probably works better with less mess. Tastes good.

Top Bottom