The brainless idiots were out in groups wearing their lycra and leathers today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Gun them down I say.... Never liked the hardcore serious roadies anyway. Every time I try to acknowledge them with a friendly nod or a wave they either ignore the fat man on a fat bike or they look at me like I have a penis on my head and I always have to check just in case. Its quite alarming....

Who mentioned serious roadies ? it could have been a group of fat men on fat bikes.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I wish that reporting by the government and media was more gruesome and shocking.
Couple of weeks ago I was chatting to my neighbour over the fence. We both didn’t know anyone who has the virus, and we didn’t know anyone who knew anyone who has the virus. Consequently it’ s easy to feel that it’s a distant threat.
A couple of days ago, there was an ambulance with blue lights flashing and paramedics with all the biohazard gear, parked in the road five doors away.
Sadly a virus victim 56 years old who died at home.
This tends to focus the mind.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Watching the 10 Downing Street press briefing this afternoon it saddened me to hear the chief nurse make mention that on her way to Downing Street when crossing Westminster Bridge she was very concerned to see a large group of cyclists in very close formation paying not even the remotest lip service to the social distancing laws.

It was the same out here in South Lincs. today, but not with push bikes but ultra high performance and bloody noisy motorbikes in quite significant numbers screaming along the country roads in the area near my house at heaven knows what speeds, but in many cases, well north of 100 mph.!

Come on one and all, the vast majority of us are trying our proverbial damndest to socially distance ourselves, so if you see and know any of these idiots, for the rest of us, please have a whisper in their ears.

Personally, I think all of their cod pieces have slipped and they are now wearing them as helmets!!
Interesting. Yesterday afternoon lying in the garden sounded like being in the middle of MotoGP. Endless screaming motorbikes along the nearby main road. Can’t have been random, too sustained.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
We were out for a walk yesterday and heard 2 trials bikes giving it some. They came out of a farm track, spattered in mud, and tore past us. We could hear them turn down another lane and give it plenty of revs. The lane they went down is a single track road that has several bridle paths off it that lads on trials bike use to frighten horse riders.

D

Deleted member 26715

We were out for a walk yesterday and heard 2 trials bikes giving it some. They came out of a farm track, spattered in mud, and tore past us. We could hear them turn down another lane and give it plenty of revs. The lane they went down is a single track road that has several bridle paths off it that lads on trials bike use to frighten horse riders.
I think you dropped this

Brandane

Legendary Member
In further defence of (motor) bikers, the anti-social aspect of speeding aside....

We need to look at the reasoning behind the ban on non essential travel. It's not the travelling that causes the problem, it's the gathering of people at beauty spots and the coast etc. that causes the problem. Bikers, like cyclists, are more than likely just out for a run from home to do a circuit and return home again. Not much risk involved there, surely.
The risk of crashing and getting injured? Much lower risk just now given the lack of other traffic pulling out in front, side swiping, and all the other nonsense that drivers get up to. Not much more of a risk than cycling injuries, IMHO..

D

Deleted member 26715

Only issue with motorcycles is the greater speed & the fact that quite often the brain thinks the rider has far more skill than it actually has

vickster

Legendary Member
In further defence of (motor) bikers, the anti-social aspect of speeding aside....

We need to look at the reasoning behind the ban on non essential travel. It's not the travelling that causes the problem, it's the gathering of people at beauty spots and the coast etc. that causes the problem. Bikers, like cyclists, are more than likely just out for a run from home to do a circuit and return home again. Not much risk involved there, surely.
The risk of crashing and getting injured? Much lower risk just now given the lack of other traffic pulling out in front, side swiping, and all the other nonsense that drivers get up to. Not much more of a risk than cycling injuries, IMHO..
Plenty of (speeding) motorcyclists end up seriously injuring themselves without the aid of anyone else however :ph34r:
Apparently 20% or more of serious bike crashes.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Here's the real risk....

This lockdown is self policing. It only works if the vast majority just accept these restrictions to their lives and get on with it. If a significant minority choose to ignore the lockdown it's unenforceable and useless

Everyone knows that motorcyclists aren't undertaking exercise or an essential journey. Like those who are driving to have a picnic at a beauty spot it just chips away at the solid cliff face of general acceptance of the lockdown. People will start to think "hey those bikers are having fun and disregarding the lockdown, maybe we could have a few friends round for a BBQ".

And that's where it starts

Brandane

Legendary Member
Everyone knows that motorcyclists aren't undertaking exercise or an essential journey.
But how does anyone know whether they are on an "essential journey" or not? I know plenty of emergency workers, in particular Police Officers, who are bikers and use their bikes to travel to and from work in the better weather. A good bit of generalisation going on in this thread!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
EXACTLY........... yesterday we had a large TESCO delivery (yes some people can get them) and Pete the 60 something year old driver, who is a star of a bloke, well he used to race bikes and is still a very serious track day rider, so with his experience he knows what to look for when it comes to high powered bikes and indeed the way they are being ridden.

And yesterday, at a goodly distance we had a chat about the noise we could hear occasionally in the background and he said he had seen numerous bikes whose riders were "giving it some" along the B676 between Melton Mowbray & Colsterworth which is a well known and favourite bikers road, along which the death rate is somewhat higher than on most roads!
I have 2 friends who used to be boys in blue in the traffic department and their term for the riders of high powered bikes as being "the donors"!

Just think though, it doesn't matter if you are out in your Lycra or your leathers and you do happen to have a spill whilst out for your unnecessary ride and the severity of your spill requires medical assistance, well this selfish jaunt will require at least 2 police vehicles, at least on paramedic vehicle and of course an ambulance to attend, added to which is all the needless paperwork.

Well I for one am out on my bike every single day crunching out the miles, but mine is mounted on the turbo trainer and as for my high speed sunny days, motorised wheels, well I roll her out onto the drive from time to time and laboriously polish her and tinker away doing totally unnecessary little jobs, but at least I am not risking challenging our beloved, overworked NHS.
My unnecessary ride.

My rides are not unnessary. Like many I have anxiety and depression and cycling is great in reducing it. This idea that everyone is going to be crashing their bikes because there is a virus is nonesense. Take it easy and responsibly. People need to be out exercising. That is why so many governments are allowing it.

Smudge

Veteran
I've no doubt that some will just think feck it, i'm going out for a ride, but I dare say many of these motorcyclists, have been doing exactly what i've been doing. Using up the stale fuel in their bikes to put fresh in.
Many motorcyclists sorn their bikes in the winter and while 6 month old fuel isn't usually a problem, this lockdown could carry on for a while yet. Many motorcyclists, me included, are not going to let their pride & joy get gummed up with gone off fuel sitting in the injectors.
I've been out 3 times on my XSR and twice so far on my CB5X, one more rideout on the CB will do it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I did the same at B&Q, as I urgently needed a bath plug washer for one of the medical baths in the care home where I am employed as handy-man. Otherwise the bath would be out of action, and we only have 2 baths of that type (with lifting chair etc..). Ordered on-line, got a phone call when it was ready to collect, so travelled the 20 miles to painlessly collect it in their car park. Oh, and I did the journey by motorbike, am I bad?

In my defence, I wasn't taking advantage of the nice weather, this is the west of Scotland, so it was 5C and drizzle, much like this morning. I ride sensibly as always, and have had more injuries as a result of cycling than I have from motorbiking over the course of my 38 years of biking (motorbikes that is) and 55 years of cycling.
Was it the only form of transport you had?

I was a police officer on a motorbike when a car hit me. 2 broken arms and a broken leg. It does not have to be your fault. In a car I would have walked away without a scratch.

Top Bottom