The end of the front derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pffft. Sachs Dual-Drive (no longer made), and Sturmey CS-RF3 - about £95.
3 speed hub gears that take a standard Shimano-style cassette and rear mech.
Use a 40T chainring, and the hub gear gives the equivalent of a 30/40/53 triple chainset.
Well and truly bindun.

classic33

Leg End Member
Fitted a five speed block to a three speed SA hub in '84, used with a double up front.

Later went to a seven speed block, on a five speed SA hub with a triple up front.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is there any reason you couldn't use it with a front derailleur? I'm all for pointless inventions but you might as well go the whole hog and make it properly ridiculous.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Again, bindun. 'bents and HPVs can end up with ridiculous numbers of gears.
My old PDQ had a three speed hub, with a 7 speed cassette IIRC and a double chainset, for 42 gears.

winjim

Smash the cistern
In fact, if we're going properly nuts...
30/40/50T triple chainset. 3 speed hub gear. 10-50T 12 speed cassette. 700C wheel.
I make that 108 gears, ranging from 12" to 180", and four different ways of getting a 67.5" gear.
It'd be worth it for the sheer bonkers complexity of figuring it all out while on the move. You'd need a spreadsheet to help you get up the hills.

davidphilips

Veteran
Own 12 bikes if i wanted to change all my bikes at £2,000 a kit it would cost me £24,000, dont know if theres any real difference apart from changing from a cyclist to a park bench dweller?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It'd be worth it for the sheer bonkers complexity of figuring it all out while on the move.
It's bad enough on my Brompton - M6R with two chainrings.
50T has 32" 39" 50" 62" 78" 97" gears, which is good for unladen commuting.
44T has 28" 35" 44" 54" 69" 85", which is good for laden touring.
I don't have a front mech, which is just as well as I'm not sure where I'd fit a third gear lever.
You'd need a spreadsheet to help you get up the hills.
These days I'd need a motor, I suspect.
*looks at self in mirror, reads scales, weeps*

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The 2-speed fixie was done almost 100 years ago with the Sturmey-Archer TF. Unlike the later 3-speed fixed hubs, it has very little backlash so feels more like a fixed wheel should. Its Achilles heel is that it only takes the obsolete 12-spline sprockets, which are now very hard to find.

In fact, if we're going properly nuts...
30/40/50T triple chainset. 3 speed hub gear. 10-50T 12 speed cassette. 700C wheel.
I make that 108 gears, ranging from 12" to 180", and four different ways of getting a 67.5" gear.
That's only a 15x range.
To go properly stupid takes hub gears both ends.
My bent trike already has a 19x range (9.4"-179.4") with twin chainrings on a Schlumpf HSD and a Rohloff.

YMMV ........... ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
ust waiting for a DI2 shifted Rohloff hub

Riese and Muller offer an electric shifting Rohloff on some of their ebikes.

I suspect access to a big beefy battery makes the electrical engineering easier.

Shimano offer a push bike Di2 version of their Alfine 11 hub.

Own 12 bikes if i wanted to change all my bikes at £2,000 a kit it would cost me £24,000, dont know if theres any real difference apart from changing from a cyclist to a park bench dweller?
You'd not want to do it on all 12 - but it could be good on one or two. Different bikes and different purposes - solutions. Are all 12 disc brakes anyway

Good afternoon
Is there any reason you couldn't use it with a front derailleur? I'm all for pointless inventions but you might as well go the whole hog and make it properly ridiculous.
I was just browsing the manual and found this;

It is prohibited to use the product in conjunction with 2 front chainrings.
https://classified-cycling.cc/uploads/files/Classified-POWERSHIFT-hub-EN.pdf

Ignoring that prohibited is quite a serious word, does this tell us something about the loads that the hub can handle?

Don't trust me on this too much but I think that SRAM Dual Drive and Rohloff hubs do have part that is designed to fail at a given very high torque, so maybe Tom Bohan could break a hub with "the right gear".

By restricting the cassette size Classified are effectively restricting the chain ring size when used for "real", but why would this matter? They already sell a carbon gravel road wheel and their web site also talks about a 54 tooth real big ring and a "33 tooth small chain ring".

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom