The end of the front derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Bluetooth? MMM imagine the fun hacking into your mates gear selection :laugh:
When I was a youngster, and the world was a bit more analogue, we used to do that to each other all the time with downtube shifters.

Good morning,

I looked at this in June 2020 (https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/c...13-speed-gravel-groupset.265134/#post-6087472) and some things seem to have changed.

The cassettes are their own design as the larger sprockets have a larger diameter hole than the smaller ones, it was claimed that this means that all the sprockets can be individual rather than joined in groups of 2,3 etc to stop flexing. To allow this the freehub is stepped which may make some sprocket combinations not possible as they are made with only the "wrong" diameter hole.
This is still partly true but the GCN video they appeared to say that the cassette was machined from a single piece of metal which sounded odd/I misunderstood what they were saying, but the Classified's web site also says single piece cassette.

Losing changeable sprockets seems like a bad/expensive idea.

I got a bit curious and wondered if the plan was for the company's version not to catch on, sell Shimano the patents for a large chunk of cash and we will all have single rings and 22 gears.

The reason for saying this is the two gears match a 50/34 compact (or 52/36 etc) chainset which would be very acceptable on so many bikes sold in the shops.

Had the plan been to sell it to the pros I would have expected a closer ratio or two versions, also by having to use non Shimano/Campag/SRAM hubs/wheels and cassettes is going to be a hard sell into teams with these sponsors.

I don't get the changing under load bit, as changing from 50 to 34 is such a huge difference it only seems likely on very rare occurrences, maybe a side effect of the design that the marketers caught on to?

I wasn't expecting the price tag.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But you mentioned cross chaining as a problem to be solved by this system. Now you are saying that it isn't a problem.
I’m not saying anything, just putting forward what is being claimed. 1x systems are only used by gravel and hybrid bikes where gaps are not critical to riders but if you're a racer and require closer gears and want the ultimate in performance I can see the appeal.

Last edited:
Sachs (Sram) did this in 1980s and Brompton also matches hub gear and rear mech.
The advantages for a standard race bike are marginal but not everyone is a bog standard race rider.
Folding bike
Suspension bike
Urban utility bike
Esp with chainguard
It opens up new design opertunities.
I like.

But the custom made one piece cassette looks like the Achilles Heel for long term users.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
well it wont get any pro use as it further complicates wheel changes.
the fact it needs proprietary cassette reduces its appeal and it will weigh more than a front mech set up I think...
i'm not sure its ability to shift between the 2 drives under full power is that much of an advantage - its going to hurt if you change to the "34 ring" under full power

si_c

Guru
well it wont get any pro use as it further complicates wheel changes.
the fact it needs proprietary cassette reduces its appeal and it will weigh more than a front mech set up I think...
i'm not sure its ability to shift between the 2 drives under full power is that much of an advantage - its going to hurt if you change to the "34 ring" under full power
Not really ever had a problem shifting the front under load anyway, I'm long into the habit of downshifting the front well in advance of a steep section. In fact I'm more likely to think I haven't shifted and try again:laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not really ever had a problem shifting the front under load anyway, I'm long into the habit of downshifting the front well in advance of a steep section. In fact I'm more likely to think I haven't shifted and try again:laugh:
Similar sinking feeling to pushing the right shifter across for larger sprocket and realising you're already in it and there is a lot of hill still ahead...:laugh:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'll consider hub gears when I can specify my own ratios. Otherwise, they're okay for utility bikes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom