The end of the front derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Oh look, they've reinvented the Brompton 6-speed (and many SA or SRAM-based hybrid gear systems before that).

It will be far too heavy. Hybrid systems are. A mere 3 speed hub gear weighs 1/4lb more than a 1 x 11 system, and about the same as a 2 x 11 system. Combine the two, and you're into boat anchor territory.

Hub gears are heavy because the parts have to be made from hardened steel due to the nature of meshing gears. There is no way around that, unless someone comes up with ceramic gears that work.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Rose bikes have it on one of their gravel bikes. The belgian bike maker, Jaegher, also offers a road bike with it. I think Tom Boonen got the first one.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Oh look, they've reinvented the Brompton 6-speed (and many SA or SRAM-based hybrid gear systems before that).

It will be far too heavy. Hybrid systems are. A mere 3 speed hub gear weighs 1/4lb more than a 1 x 11 system, and about the same as a 2 x 11 system. Combine the two, and you're into boat anchor territory.

Hub gears are heavy because the parts have to be made from hardened steel due to the nature of meshing gears. There is no way around that, unless someone comes up with ceramic gears that work.
I guess you missed the part of the video where it comes in about the same weight as the existing 2 x 11

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis

I think these are rather elegant?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Watch the video and find out. GCN are fairly specific about even talking about which hub weight the package is equal to.
I can see how they've done it now, with that very custom cassette.

I got bored of the presenter so didn't see how they were keeping the chain on (the bear of single chainring setups). Generally this needs a narrow-wide ring or a clutched RD to do what a FD does naturally.

Anyway, I doubt it'll ever go mainstream, no more than Di2 will. It's not necessarily the expense, it's the complexity. Some people just want to get a bike out and ride it ten times a year.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Anyway, I doubt it'll ever go mainstream, no more than Di2 will. It's not necessarily the expense, it's the complexity. Some people just want to get a bike out and ride it ten times a year.
I’m sure you’re right but there will always be those who want to have the latest tech and the ultimate in performance and function. You could argue that Di2 is complex but it has gained traction in the market as I’m sure sure this will but only to a minority.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ask @Fab Foodie about the front derailleur on his Brompton. ;)
That's digital technology at its evolutionary finest :okay:
Or a stick-shift!

GuyBoden

Guru
I agree, a front derailleur lasts a long, long time, my 1977 Suntour front derailleur is still working fine, but I've had older front derailleurs where the cages' metal has worn too thin to function correctly, probably after 40+ years of use.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
If it allows gear changes under full power that implies it would work with a fixed wheel and still allow fixed-wheel braking. All sorts of rule changes would be needed but, in principle, that would make it suitable for track bikes. As a quick get-away or acceleration device it could change track sprinting and in an hour record attempt it might be worth a couple of hundred metres.

Of course, that simply raises the question: since everyone would use one there would be no competitive advantage, so why bother?

Didn't Shaun Wallace use a double gear for the track pursuit back in the day ? Started off with a lower gear and then went higher when the gear was fully wound on ? Or something.

I like the look of this. Who hasn't got stuck in their big ring when you hit an unexpected hill. I'd pay for that ability to downshift but let's see the difference.

Top Bottom