The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A way to look at it is that once everyone's done their March ride. That's a quarter of the year done.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A popular day it seems. Riding with Steve in spirit perhaps.

Revisited a wonderful road today which loops around the back of the Sugar Loaf near Abergavenny. A kind of mountain road in miniature, but with little of the pain. The biggest climbing day Strava has awarded me so far, and 121.14 miles. Yes, I'm very tired too!

Once again, the 4th of the month. It would be kind of cool to maintain that throughout the year.

I try to do a proper write-up while it's still "Today's Ride".

Trickedem

Guru
Myself, @rb58 and @Trickedem also did our March qualifying ride today. A rather hilly up and down route to Hoo Peninsular. The legs are certainly feeling it. The ride was not without incident either.
Carter's Hill was a beast. The descent to Seal was sublime. We also had the pleasure of going down Knatts Valley. Which has to be one of the nicest roads in Kent.

I have a question regarding the rules of the challenge. Does it need to be a contiguous century or can it be broken up by ferry trips? I'm struggling to come up with routes that aren't either retreads or heavily urbanised, and I don't have the option of driving somewhere nice, riding and driving home.

Adding ferries to the mix would give me far greater flexibility, although I understand that it might go against the spirit of the thing.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have a question regarding the rules of the challenge. Does it need to be a contiguous century or can it be broken up by ferry trips? I'm struggling to come up with routes that aren't either retreads or heavily urbanised, and I don't have the option of driving somewhere nice, riding and driving home.

Adding ferries to the mix would give me far greater flexibility, although I understand that it might go against the spirit of the thing.

Probably depends on the length of the ferry trip. I did one a couple of years ago that was broken by a 1 hour train journey :okay:

If it all within the day for me its fair game :okay:

13 rider

Guru

I can't see a problem with that . After all if you stop for a cafe stop or two the ride still counts

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

If its a ride in one day then that's fine. As @13rider says. It's just the same as if you were in a cafe for an hour. Where we do draw the line is counting 2 rides separated, for example, a days work, then that's different.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Me and @tallliman and @Supersuperleeds are planning a ride to Lincoln then catching the train back . Me and @Supersuperleeds were discussing if after catching the train did the miles station to home count as the same ride . As we will already have a century in it didn't matter but we both came to the conclusion that it would be 2 rides due to the length of the train journey about 1.5 hrs . But we could both cold see why other people would want to count it .I suppose there will always be grey areas

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My Jan 1 ride would have been ineligible as I had to return home to pick up the pump I'd forgotten. I was preparing to grumble about this but as it happened I had to abandon before 100 miles with a split sidewall.

I wouldn't have grumbled about it. In circumstances like that then I would say it's fine.

Top Bottom