The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just for a change, went to Brighton (first visit this week, at least...). It was the annual London-Brighton classic car run, and Madeira Drive was very busy unsurprisingly. I didn't bother having a look at the motors (though did take a shot of the GT40 parked at the end), preferring to appreciate the Italian classic....
42541679981_35baccb8c7_h.jpg

Bit warm out there for my liking....!

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
June out of the way today in the company of @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman. It truly is a sight to behold watching these 2 loons bag their VV squares :laugh:

Great weather, great company, great bacon roll, great ride :bicycle:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A near perfect day today. OK, the views could have been clearer!

I had two rides planned, one to the Clee Hills and one to the Clents. I didn't decide until this morning - the Clents it was. The late morning view towards central Birmingham:

Birmingham.JPG

A fine day out. I'm often amazed at the enormous variety of landscapes on our doorsteps, and how much there is still for me to discover. This time I successfully hit my target of 131 miles having missed that number in March. A few small deviations, some enforced, some accidental meant I looked likely to stray over 132 again. I swapped my usual route into Gloucester for a shorter, more hair-raising one, and in the end came in comfortably under. If I'd ended the activity at the end of my road, would that have been cheating?

BromyG

Veteran
June now complete, 113.76 miles! Headed out in a different direction to usual, and as many of these roads were unknown to me I thought I'd try satnav guidance via RideGPS. Interesting to say the least! Three things definitely learnt through this exercise;

1. be very particular in route planning. Just because Google etc says you can cycle along it, doesn't mean you actually can - cue gravel tracks, some overgrown with stinging nettles and rutted woodland paths rising with a 45 degree incline!
2. make sure you are VERY precise inputting your route - the voice in your ear will guide you around every squiggle you forgot to straighten out on your computer screen map!
3. when the voice in your ear tells you to turn - you turn! Don't ignore it and carry on regardless!

On the whole it was a good ride, slow progress going out, but a great ride back into London along the A5 for the return leg.

I've did a few tons in the last week, albeit slow ones; this was the first:

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/24346379

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
July done. Out at 0530 to beat the heat. A more hilly route than I expected including the sod of a climb out of Betchworth up the back of Box Hill, and Westhumble Lane at 20% not long after. Needed the coffee and cake stop at Destination Bike, who also had a couple of very nice Ti bikes on display....
101 miles and the Garmin topped out at 31.7 C on the way home. Fastest I've done too, just over 6.5hrs:heat:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Also done. Like @cosmicbike I went for the early doors option, rolling at 5.27. For only the second time in 36 hours (! :smile: ) I rode to Brighton (Friday night's visit was for the Orbital gig at the racecourse, on the Honda). Was very pleasant indeed temperature wise early on, but the headwind kept my speed down, didn't make Madeira Drive until 9.45. The tailwind returning home wasn't too helpful in the somewhat debilitating heat, and various bits were aching as well. Unexpected delay west of Fishbourne- a couple of guys were fixing a puncture and asked if I had a pump they could borrow. Revolution Air Mini to the rescue :smile: Back at 1450 or so.

Top Bottom