FNRttC The latest news on The Fridays Vi(v)a Colonia Tour......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Some are sitting down, in the shade and eating - with drink.
We're pleased to hear @kimble is ok. The cathedral tour was brilliant.
It's still very hot.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
German sunshine, Lebanese food, Belgian beers and Fridays' company. This rest day is the best day.

ianmac62

Guru
image.jpeg
German sunshine, Lebanese food, Belgian beers and Fridays' company. This rest day is the best day.
@Moodyman, having eaten food and drunk beer, is now having a proper rest in the Café Egmont without even leaving his chair.

kimble

Veteran
I'm now loitering within tent in a rather lovely site about 5km south of Maastricht. There is a hint of a breeze. Achilles pain now intermittently on both sides, walking more painful than riding. Reckon they just need rest, but in the absence of that I'm applying drugz and will try to avoid too much stop-start cycling.

Apparently the plan is to meet at Coffee Lovers at 10:00 tomorrow, which seems very civilised.

ianmac62

Guru
A gentle pace out of Aachen to the border at Vaals was followed by about 9k of downhill to Gulpen. There is a bit of a climb to follow but, from there it is downhill all the way to Maastricht. It took under 1.5 hours to reach Margraten about 12 K before Maastricht and about 2 hours from there.
View attachment 143930
This might have something to do with it.

For personal & obvious reasons I prefer McChouffe - honestly!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Team Audax has fragmented somewhat. I could cope with the distance, no problem. The speed required for the DIYers- no problem. The heat- don't like it but I can handle it. All of the above? Not so much. We got to the traditional Audax lunch stop- supermarket lobby- at 75 miles in. My average up to then was 12.5 mph, so not shabby considering the temperature & not having eaten since 6.45! We split there into faster/slower groups. On the outskirts of Liege Mike & Gordon carried on for Aachen, Eddie & I, who were principally concerned with getting an imperial ton, made for Liege. Miles made up by laps of a circuit near the station, we eventually found a working ticket machine. Now headed for Welkenraedt, just over 10 miles from much needed showers. Hard work but a cracking day.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Team Audax has fragmented somewhat. I could cope with the distance, no problem. The speed required for the DIYers- no problem. The heat- don't like it but I can handle it. All of the above? Not so much. We got to the traditional Audax lunch stop- supermarket lobby- at 75 miles in. My average up to then was 12.5 mph, so not shabby considering the temperature & not having eaten since 6.45! We split there into faster/slower groups. On the outskirts of Liege Mike & Gordon carried on for Aachen, Eddie & I, who were principally concerned with getting an imperial ton, made for Liege. Miles made up by laps of a circuit near the station, we eventually found a working ticket machine. Now headed for Welkenraedt, just over 10 miles from much needed showers. Hard work but a cracking day.
Excellent work - both the miles completed and the acknowledgement of a bridge too far.

Meanwhile team possibly train has become team definitely train. Will send messages.

Top Bottom