The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do you think riding a higher geared bike forces you to go faster or just tires you out more on hills?

I am still undecided,I have quite low gearing on my Scott roadbike triple 30 tooth granny chainwheel and 28 tooth largest cog on the cassette means I can drop down into the lowest gear and spin up virtually all hills still seated.

By standing up and grinding I can get up most hills on the middle chainring (39 tooth) but arrive knackered at the top so take it easy for a bit getting breath back which probably wipes out the time gained from grinding up the hill.
I can't see any advantage in being overgeared on climbs. I'm sure that using the lower gears on my triple spares my legs so it is my lungs which normally give way before my legs going uphill. I wouldn't go any faster using higher gears, I'd just be grinding up with a lower cadence.

Going downhill, I might go slightly quicker because I spin out at about 35 mph on my Basso whereas I can pedal to 40 mph on my Cannondale. This is not usually something I worry about, because I can stop pedalling, get myself into an aero tuck and hit over 50 mph if I really want to go fast!

If I were buying my Cannondale now, I would probably choose a triple chainset but when I bought it I was a lot slimmer and fitter so the higher gearing of the double wasn't really a problem.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for that Colin.I plan to get year or two more out of my Scott yet but still like looking at bikes and thinking what would be ideal for me. I think any new bike will probably be a triple or possibly a compact with a very large rear cassette.

Couple of times I have done hilly rides with people fitter and normally faster than me but they struggled with big gears on hills while I could still talk in a normal voice and spin away up the hill.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for that Colin.I plan to get year or two more out of my Scott yet but still like looking at bikes and thinking what would be ideal for me. I think any new bike will probably be a triple or possibly a compact with a very large rear cassette.
Only thing is - it is getting harder to find bikes with triples on these days. Compact seems to be the new fashion. We were discussing that recently in this thread.

Simon Cash

Great effort, that chalks up your May ride very early. I have missed my April ride so am trying to get two in for May to make up for it!! Weather going to rubbish here a bit now so getting a bit difficult.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Can i just hijack this thread a sec and ask for a bit of advice regarding chainrings? I have read Colins views on different sizes in relation to hill climbing. My bike has got a 34/50 tooth but what does that mean? Is that good for hills or better on the flat? Ireally have zero idea hence the questions. Thanks in advance :hello:

potsy

Rambler
Can i just hijack this thread a sec and ask for a bit of advice regarding chainrings? I have read Colins views on different sizes in relation to hill climbing. My bike has got a 34/50 tooth but what does that mean? Is that good for hills or better on the flat? Ireally have zero idea hence the questions. Thanks in advance :hello:
It means that instead of a traditional triple with say 50/39/30 you only have the 'big ring' 50t and a compromise gear of 34t instead of the 39&30.
You would need quite a large range cassette to give you those 'spinny' gears for the uphills, that you would have had on a 30t triple.
Hope that makes sense :thumbsup:

potsy

Rambler
Ah right it sort of does. Does that mean with the 34 being my small tooth ring if i had an even smaller tooth ring it would make climbing even easier?
It would, but not possible on a compact geared bike I don't think.
That's why us fat slow people have triples :thumbsup:

tongskie01

Ah right it sort of does. Does that mean with the 34 being my small tooth ring if i had an even smaller tooth ring it would make climbing even easier?
depends on your rear cassette. the biggest rear cog available has got 36t which will give you 25 gear inches. in my experience is good enough for spinning . but then you need long cage derailleur. i got a mtb triple chain set at the moment and my lowest is 19 gear inches which i use on very steep climbs.

billy1561

BB wrecker
depends on your rear cassette. the biggest rear cog available has got 36t which will give you 25 gear inches. in my experience is good enough for spinning . but then you need long cage derailleur. i got a mtb triple chain set at the moment and my lowest is 19 gear inches which i use on very steep climbs.
Now that's completely baffled me!
I have a 105 synapse with 50/34 front ring. It rides fine but i struggle a bit on the hills. Most likely because of my weight and fitness, but if there is a better size setup for hills then it would be of interest for any future bike purchases.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Now that's completely baffled me!
I have a 105 synapse with 50/34 front ring. It rides fine but i struggle a bit on the hills. Most likely because of my weight and fitness, but if there is a better size setup for hills then it would be of interest for any future bike purchases.
A 50/34 front setup with something like 28/12 at the back should be able to deal with most things once you've practiced and got fit enough. I would try not to buy a bike to make something easier that will get easier the more you do it cos then you'll just end up with a bike that is too low geared for you.

Top Bottom