The motor vehicle questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Problem is that people neglect them and don’t service them properly. Forget the service intervals that Mini suggest, they need an annual oil service whatever the mileage.

I’ve had three R56 Minis and all have been 100% trouble free. Remember the early cars are now 13 years old.

Most people that knock them have never owned one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well,it fired up tonight. It hasn't run since Saturday afternoon when the bloke from the garage started it with his power unit thingy. I would've run it yesterday,but it was about minus 3 C,so after Friday's caper i thought it best to leave it till today knowing it had to 'warm up' tonight to 6 C. Anyway,as i turned the ignition key after letting the glow plug lights go out,it struggled for a second or so then it fired up. I drove it for about 5 miles(locally within walking distance, in case it cut out and i had to walk home). The windows did their dipping up and down thing,but i didn't try and put them down, as i just don't trust electric windows!

Drago

Legendary Member
Bought my first in 1982, for 10 years both my wife and I had Golfs

If you really want to lose the will to live I could list them all!
In the 90's it came out that the VW board had been lying about the organisations involvement in atrocities in WWII - many of those same people are still on the board.

Then in 2015 it emerged that VW considered the death toll an acceptable cost of doing business rather than invest profits into developing genuinely lower emissions vehicles.

And you still buy their products?

People moan about Israel's bully boy tactics with the Palestinians, or the violence and oppression of apartheid back in the day, yet they buy a VW product without giving it a second thought.

Venod

Eh up
In the 90's it came out that the VW board had been lying about the organisations involvement in atrocities in WWII - many of those same people are still on the board.

Then in 2015 it emerged that VW considered the death toll an acceptable cost of doing business rather than invest profits into developing genuinely lower emissions vehicles.

And you still buy their products?

People moan about Israel's bully boy tactics with the Palestinians, or the violence and oppression of apartheid back in the day, yet they buy a VW product without giving it a second thought.

Do you know the history of Daimler- Benz ? that became Mercedes, who produced the Smart car.

https://www.splicetoday.com/consume/mercedes-and-the-third-reich

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had a mini with the drop down windows. A vauxhall too actually. I never had a problem. I didn’t stop driving it in the cold weather. I had a car cover to put over, in the bad frosty weather. I don’t use it here as car parked on the road and someone will just Nick the cover.
Mini make a good car. It will be fine. I think you are worrying unduly on this.

gbb

Legendary Member
Well,it fired up tonight. It hasn't run since Saturday afternoon when the bloke from the garage started it with his power unit thingy. I would've run it yesterday,but it was about minus 3 C,so after Friday's caper i thought it best to leave it till today knowing it had to 'warm up' tonight to 6 C. Anyway,as i turned the ignition key after letting the glow plug lights go out,it struggled for a second or so then it fired up. I drove it for about 5 miles(locally within walking distance, in case it cut out and i had to walk home). The windows did their dipping up and down thing,but i didn't try and put them down, as i just don't trust electric windows!
As said earlier, a tired battery will nearly ALWAYS show itself as the cold weather starts. I had one and managed to nurse it through that winter and once spring arrived, it lasted without any nursing all the next spring and summer, like there was nothing wrong with it.
But cars are so much more dependent on a good battery now, theres so many systems on a car that rely on it so I'd just bite the bullet and buy one.
5 miles isnt far enough to replace the energy you used starting it, probable lights, demisting etc etc at this time of the year, it's more like a 20 mile steady drive, preferably on a dual carriageway, minimum of ancillary equipment being used ( lights heaters etc) to give a battery a chance to properly recharge. Have you a battery charger ? Can you hook it up and charge overnight ?, that would extend the life a good deal.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As said earlier, a tired battery will nearly ALWAYS show itself as the cold weather starts. I had one and managed to nurse it through that winter and once spring arrived, it lasted without any nursing all the next spring and summer, like there was nothing wrong with it.
But cars are so much more dependent on a good battery now, theres so many systems on a car that rely on it so I'd just bite the bullet and buy one.
5 miles isnt far enough to replace the energy you used starting it, probable lights, demisting etc etc at this time of the year, it's more like a 20 mile steady drive, preferably on a dual carriageway, minimum of ancillary equipment being used ( lights heaters etc) to give a battery a chance to properly recharge. Have you a battery charger ? Can you hook it up and charge overnight ?, that would extend the life a good deal.
As i said earlier,i rushed it on Friday night by not letting he glow plugs warm up before turning the ignition. A short run must put a decent amount of charge in the battery as after the short one i gave it on Saturday (about 2 miles) the car started after sitting all day Sunday in minus temperatures. I'm going to try it soon. If i have any further problems i will buy a new battery. I just don't want to buy one yet if the current one is still ok.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've been warned Accy - you said it was a bit sluggish yesterday. The battery will most likely do it again during the next cold snap.

As for not trusting electric windows, really ? 17 year old Yaris when we sold it, never an issue with leccy windows. My current almost 18 year old Nissan, no issues with electric windows. They just work.

The only issues I've known with windows was my sister's manual ones. She'd never lubed the window seals with silicon, so one day, winding a stiff window, the glass popped out of the runners. Garage fixed it, but didn't lube rubbers, happened again. I fixed it and lubed, and worked ever since.

D

Deleted member 26715

As i said earlier,i rushed it on Friday night by not letting he glow plugs warm up before turning the ignition. A short run must put a decent amount of charge in the battery as after the short one i gave it on Saturday (about 2 miles) the car started after sitting all day Sunday in minus temperatures. I'm going to try it soon. If i have any further problems i will buy a new battery. I just don't want to buy one yet if the current one is still ok.
It isn't it's foobared, accept it buy a new one, move on, it will continue working for a while if the weather stays mild, but as soon as another really cold snap comes along it will fail again. I would also say that if you don't want to follow advice on what you should do, then what's the point in asking the question?

Top Bottom