The Olympic Trivial Thing Thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
A couple of weeks ago i knew nothing about the Olympics. Now i can't wait til next years :smile:
I am looking forward to the Paralympics, mainly the events that take place on wheels!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ironic isn't it that all the mega-sponsorship and prizes + money in sport go to the very few successful ones after they've made it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
More pertinently, why are events like rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming and diving even held at the Olympics? Someone performs something vaguely artistic (but very difficult), the judges make up a score based purely on judgement and no-one knows whether the best competitor has really won.

I'd can anything that wasn't primarily based on objective measuring criteria. I'd also can things that are being held because they're trendy - yes, BMX and Mountain Biking, I'm looking at you - and things that are random variations on other sports - yes, that's beach volleyball.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't see the problem with having some events that are artistic. It's something for everyone. Personally, unless there's a home interest or a final, I find some of the running (and the cycling!) a bit dull. Whereas I enjoy watching something with artistic content for itself, regardless of whether GB are going to win a medal.

Incidentally, the synchro swimming, and the gymnastics, and dressage, all have technical parts that have to be fulfilled. It's not just down to a panel of old ladies saying "ooh, I like this one" randomly.

Night Train

Maker of Things
More pertinently, why are events like rhythmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming and diving even held at the Olympics? Someone performs something vaguely artistic (but very difficult), the judges make up a score based purely on judgement and no-one knows whether the best competitor has really won.
I can understand the sentiment but having just watched it I am in awe of the effort involved in the achievement.

There might be the argument over the artistic events but they are there for the time being* and so I think the pertinent question should be the equality!

*eta: And they have to meet certain criteria much like other competitive activities, as Arch says.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes, did you see the Syncronised Swimming? It is part of the rules that they cannot touch the bottom, so all the lifting and jumping things must really require a LOT of strength just to do, and then, they have to do it all in time with each other and with the music, often under the water, so they can't really hear it, so they need to count the beat and know EXACTLY where they are in the routine!

Making it look like they are effortlessly dancing on the bottom of the pool when it is actually a 3 meter deep pool and the bottom is over 2 meters below them must require a lot of skill to do!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Yes, did you see the Syncronised Swimming? It is part of the rules that they cannot touch the bottom, so all the lifting and jumping things must really require a LOT of strength just to do, and then, they have to do it all in time with each other and with the music, often under the water, so they can't really hear it, so they need to count the beat and know EXACTLY where they are in the routine!

Making it look like they are effortlessly dancing on the bottom of the pool when it is actually a 3 meter deep pool and the bottom is over 2 meters below them must require a lot of skill to do!
Certainly looks harder and more skillful then running the 100m and 200m sprints. I used to do that competitively once and I found just treading water for an extended period was much much harder to do.

srw

Now Olympic tandem racing- where was that this year?...
The clue's in the video title - it's a paralympic event - sighted pilot and blind stoker. It's on something like September 3rd. There's also tandem road racing.

srw

Being part of a corps de ballet or an opera chorus is physically challenging and demands a lot of skill, but I don't see the massed Mozart or the team Tchaikovsky being part of the Olympics any time soon.

Top Bottom