The Olympics ! (spoilers etc..)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there

Dan151

hopefully the cross country will be as exciting as this. I've heard the XC track in Essex will be open to the public after too :smile:

Possible confusion caused by English slang terms ('kidology', 'pull a fast one' etc)? Takes the shine off a gold medal a bit, though I strongly suspect that this isn't a new tactic it's just that nobody has admitted to it on live TV before :secret:

Noodley

If any of you had even the slightest idea about track cycling then you would not be discussing this non-event.

The Racing and Track forums are becoing like Jeremy Kyle cycling discussions!

Danny

Legendary Member
Rules are rules.

GB is was half a wheel, it was visible. China though, unable to call from the video replays shown, so unless another angle shows it better than this was a bad decision IMO.
Rules are rules, but they should make sense. Even Mark Cavendish was at a loss to explain what the infringement was.

And it seems to me to be debatable whether going a fraction of a second too early really helped Pendleton or not. Sure you could argue that she would have gained more advantage by hanging back and staying in Varnish's slipstream until the last possible moment.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Rules are rules, but they should make sense. Even Mark Cavendish was at a loss to explain what the infringement was.

And it seems to me to be debatable whether going a fraction of a second too early really helped Pendleton or not. Sure you could argue that she would have gained more advantage by hanging back and staying in Varnish's slipstream until the last possible moment.

You could also argue that the second rider could go early to make up for the 1st rider fading too quickly which would infact be impeding the second rider, so by going early, the second rider and subsequently the team gains from the move. You can come up with all sorts of scenario's that either make the rule make sense or make it sound stupid but the time differences on the track are so small, that you need to be fairly tight on rules and on this day, the rule states that the tag between who is the "active" rider is made at the line, the active rider must cross the line 1st and then has 15 metres to get out of the way of the newly activated rider.

Would I introduce such a rule, probably not, I would just assign a window of change that sits with its mid point over the finish line. But I am not making the rules so...

Yup, it's disappointing that such a rule relegated the GB ladies, but even if the rule is a dumb one, they should have been drilled well enough to comply (which they probably were), but it was a mistake on their behalf, given the rules of the day. They got lawyered. The China ladies however, well I would love to see some more camera angles, because, based on those I have seen, that was a very tough call.

You will find that these nuanced rules are more strictly enforced at meets such as the Olympics and the World's than at meets such as the Revolution track meets or equivalent so it is not surprising that some people are confused by the decision when at a less prestigious event no-one would have blinked at that move. At the Track World Cup in 2011 a UCI official said to me that most track event's are a "bit of fun" compared to this and suggested that things would be approached quite differently. From this I would say that it's not so much silly rules that are the issue, but the consistency in which they are applied.

mm

The rule that hit the women - I don't really understand the reason for it - and the BBC commentators were crap at explaining the nature of the rule and any reason for it. Cavendish was plonked in the studio but couldn't shed any light on it as it's not his event. Struck me as a very tough rule.

The mens - ilb - thanks for the link. I was horrified -I agree with potsy - very bad.

I think the competition would be perfectly justified in appealing though I have no idea how the rules work and whether they can do this. News of this will surely spread - I believe there's an internet thingy around these days.

I've never agreed with the concept of so -called "gamesmanship" ever since I was a kid kicking a ball round the schoolyard.

This is no different in my view from the tendency of a small number of Italian footballers to now and again roll around on the floor with imaginary injuries from imaginary fouls.

I'm afraid you appear to have been too clever GB in a sense Italians would understand - "furbo" - sometimes being clever is profoudly stupid and very sad.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Possible confusion caused by English slang terms ('kidology', 'pull a fast one' etc)? Takes the shine off a gold medal a bit, though I strongly suspect that this isn't a new tactic it's just that nobody has admitted to it on live TV before :secret:
I'm no expert on the rules but I'd guess that as it would have been an official who stopped the first start there's no comeback anyway. This though does leave things in a mess of doublespeak.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would assume the "reason" for the rule is to simplify proceedings.

They allow a 15 metre changeover window, which begins at the start line, easy enough, change in that zone or your team are penalised.

If they allow people to make that transition before the given window on a discretionary basis, then in some circumstances a team may gain an advantage over another team which obeys the rule and changes in the designated zone, in some circumstances an advantage wont be gained. But rather than assess on a case by case basis whether an advantage was gained, they have a rule which negates the need for this altogether. Instead of having to monitor the speed differential of each rider on a fraction of a second basis to back calculate the advantage gained, all they need to do is look at a camera to see who crossed the line 1st and say "didnt play by the rules, DQ".

I am not an expert, nor do I know the absolute origins of the rule, just speculating on why the rule may be present.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The purpose of the rule is to ensure that each team member does a full lap on the front.

There is no appeal system in place at the Olympics - commissaire's decision is final.

d.

Top Bottom