The Police wont police our 20mph zone - my letter of complaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Sheree, thank you for your comprehensive response to my email and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The figures you provided are very interesting - The only conclusion that we can draw from them is that speeding, mobile phone use and other offences are endemic. The NYP obviously have an uphill struggle dealing with the sheer volume of offences. Particularly with your resources under the constant threat of where the cuts will fall next.

I was particularly struck by your response to the subject of York's 20mph zones. Frankly I'm shocked by your response. I'm no expert in these matters. I do try to follow the news and keep myself informed, but it came as a big surprise to me that the NYP can refuse to enforce the newly installed 20mph zones. The councillors which implemented these lower speed zones made it part of their manifesto. As part of the democratic process, they were voted in on the strength of the content in their manifesto, so it's logical to conclude that the people who voted them in did so because they desired safer streets. This is all self evident isn't it? Am I missing something?

So I really struggle with your statement, that: "Many of these 20mph limits were installed against the advice of NYP, as the areas did not reflect the new speed limit."
"The areas did not reflect the new speed limit?" What does this actually mean? I am to conclude that the NYP have a set of predetermined criterion by which they judge a road to be suitable for conversion to a 20mph? if this is the case it would seem to be at odds with - well - democracy. The population of York voted to increase the number of 20mph zones and the NYP refuse to recognise them.
'Road danger' is one of the features of modern life. There is - globally - an increasing awareness of the importance of reduced urban traffic speeds in the reduction of danger and the improved quality of people's lives. Reduced traffic speeds encourage more walking and cycling and this has a measurable positive impact on people's health. So I have to wonder - whose side are the NYP on? By refusing to accept the democratically imposed 20mph zones you're literally going against the will and best interests of the people.
You say that 20mph zones should be 'self enforcing'. Well I have an big issue with this. 'Self enforcing' means speed bumps, chicanes and other traffic calming measures. Well, they might reduce the average speed of traffic using a road but they create their own problems. You only need to look at Hezlington lane where cars swerve widely to aim themselves astride the 'sleeping policeman'. Some cars do slow - but others, those with less concern for the comfort of their passengers and the longevity of their suspension - ignore the speed limit and the bumps and cruise on through at +/-30mph. So then we end up with a situation - past a school! - where some cars can be predicted to travel at the posted speed limit and others ignore it. What hope for children and senior citizens crossing the road with these enormous speed disparities? You may as well have left it at thirty - at least then everyone would know what speed to expect. And chicanes? if ever there was a thing that would encourage people to speed up and race through gaps, to 'play chicken' with other drivers this is it.
My point is, that the 'self enforcing' theory is wholly inadequate. But how would you know? The NYP isn't looking at 20mph zones. I wrote my original letter to you on the subject of the new 20mph zone which includes Hospital Fields Road. In six years of living in this area I've never seen an officer checking the speed of vehicles within the ring road. 30mph/20mph whether 'NYP approved' or not. And I've seen no shortage of speeders. You could stand outside Fishergate School and count them through. Virtually every car exceeds the 20mph limit.
I seriously think that NYP's policy in this area is totally wrong. It serves no-one. With some drivers obeying the 20mph and others ignoring it, we've made the roads potentially even more dangerous than before. Engineering doesn't work, and so the only effective method bust be education backed up with enforcement. It worked for seat belts. It worked for drink driving.
We live in a country where people can disobey the rules of the road every day and with impunity. As I mentioned in my previous email, I've lost count of the numbers of red light jumpers, mobile phone users, speeders etc etc etc I see every single day. If these drivers had an inkling that there was even the tiniest chance of a Polis seeing them they'd be less inclined to break the law. So all you'd need to do is turn up once or twice a year on any given arterial into the town. A police presence. Because whatever you're doing now simply isn't working. I feel like I take my life in my hands every time I get on my bike. My neighbours would love to cycle but refuse to because Fulford road is so hellish. The answer to the danger posed to vulnerable road users cannot be for them to stay away. We need to address the danger. I really wish you had a strategy that would make a difference.
Thanks for the opportunity to share my thoughts!
All the best,
Mick

Just to add to my previous email. Based on today's activity on Hospital Feilds Road, just around the corner from York Nick, not only are NYP not policing the 20mph speed limit, they're not policing 30mph or 40mph, or even 50mph, judging by the outrageous speeds which some motorists are driving down our road today. It's absolutely obnoxious to people using or crossing that road on foot or by bike. There's going to be a death on this road one of these days and I'll not take any pleasure in saying I told you so.

Regards,

Mick

http://www.cambs-police.co.uk/roadsafety/docs/201305-uoba-joining-forces-safer-roads.pdf

That is an interesting read, it's the ACPO guidelines, in which I imagine the Police force were referencing when not recommending the zones for installation.

Section 11 is where it mentions what is suitable for a 20mph zone.

Section 11.2 specifically,they do not recommend simply swapping 30s for 20s. They also need other features to signify that it is a 20 zone, such as speed bumps I guess, etc.

If there's evidence of blatant ignorance of correctly posted 20mph zones, they will enforce. They will NOT "routinely" enforce those that are simply a 30 sign changed to a 20 sign.

' ... blatant ignorance of correctly posted ... '. What's the problem with changing a 30mph sign for a 20mph sign and expecting people to drive slower? I'm really not getting it.

Speed limits other than 30mph, have regular repeaters. 30mph zones are often indicated by a lack of repeaters, and regularly spaced lamp posts. If you just took down a 30mph sign, and replaced it with a 20mph one. Other than a single sign joining the road, it would in all other senses, look, and feel like a 30mph zone.

The ACPO guideline is for other engineering, or traffic calming methods to be used as well, to reduce speed, and to remove ambiguity from the limit.

While they may have been installed by councillors as part of their manifesto, they were not installed in a manner that followed the ACPO guidelines.

I provided a link to the guidelines, it's an interesting read, and does provide justification for their recommendations too. I suspect if you wished to complain, or question them, that ACPO is the people to speak to, not the council.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not enforced by WYP either.

Wonder if the fact that some councils have used illegal signs, means they can't be enforced?

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Speed limits other than 30mph, have regular repeaters. 30mph zones are often indicated by a lack of repeaters, and regularly spaced lamp posts. If you just took down a 30mph sign, and replaced it with a 20mph one. Other than a single sign joining the road, it would in all other senses, look, and feel like a 30mph zone.

The ACPO guideline is for other engineering, or traffic calming methods to be used as well, to reduce speed, and to remove ambiguity from the limit.

While they may have been installed by councillors as part of their manifesto, they were not installed in a manner that followed the ACPO guidelines.

I provided a link to the guidelines, it's an interesting read, and does provide justification for their recommendations too. I suspect if you wished to complain, or question them, that ACPO is the people to speak to, not the council.

I read it through. I'm still not getting it. The justifications for their recommendations are the kind of skewed thinking I'd expect to see on the SafeSpeed website.

I read it through. I'm still not getting it. The justifications for their recommendations are the kind of skewed thinking I'd expect to see on the SafeSpeed website.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or offering my personal opinion on it. Merely providing a resource that was relevant to your initial post, and would likely answer some questions you posed to who I assume is a councillor.

It clarifies the Police viewpoint (well, their guideline), and their correct or incorrect justifications. It may help in structuring further complaints you may have, and I was intending on entering a debate. Just merely sharing some interesting information.

sidevalve

Über Member
Question - If this idea of 20 speed zones was rigorously enforced and by that I mean all road users including cyclists [20 is not that hard to exceed] would it be quite so agreeable ? [And please no 'Oh cyclists don't cause accidents, do any damage, break the law, can't be enforced because we don't have speedometers rubbish - a limit is a limit - no if's no buts - or is it just ok because cyclists would as usual 'get away with it' because there is realistically no way of tracking them ?]
We live in a country where people can disobey the rules of the road every day and with impunity.
Sure do - and many of them ride bicycles - sorry but it's true - get over it.

please no 'Oh cyclists don't cause accidents, do any damage, break the law, can't be enforced because we don't have speedometers rubbish - a limit is a limit - no if's no buts - or is it just ok because cyclists would as usual 'get away with it' because there is realistically no way of tracking them ?
Cyclists "get away with it" as I believe speed legislation applies specifically to "motor-vehicles", it is nothing to do with no speedo, or no way of tracking them. Simply, speed limits do NOT apply to cycles.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/part/VI said:
(1)It shall not be lawful for a person to drive a motor vehicle on a restricted road at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour.

An order made under this subsection as respects any road may prohibit—

(a)the driving of motor vehicles on that road at a speed exceeding that specified in the order,

(b)the driving of motor vehicles on that road at a speed exceeding that specified in the order during periods specified in the order, or

(c)the driving of motor vehicles on that road at a speed exceeding the speed for the time being indicated by traffic signs in accordance with the order.

In fact here is the offences that can be committed on a bicycle.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/40/section/7

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Question - If this idea of 20 speed zones was rigorously enforced and by that I mean all road users including cyclists [20 is not that hard to exceed] would it be quite so agreeable ? [And please no 'Oh cyclists don't cause accidents, do any damage, break the law, can't be enforced because we don't have speedometers rubbish - a limit is a limit - no if's no buts - or is it just ok because cyclists would as usual 'get away with it' because there is realistically no way of tracking them ?]

Sure do - and many of them ride bicycles - sorry but it's true - get over it.

Yawn.

Question - If this idea of 20 speed zones was rigorously enforced and by that I mean all road users including cyclists [20 is not that hard to exceed] would it be quite so agreeable ?
If you mean, am I happy to observe the 20mph limit on my bike, the answer is yes.

I have a reasonably accurate speedometer on one of my bikes, and based on that and many, many years cycling, a pretty good feel for what 20mph looks/feels like on my other bikes.

Do I give a ****** for niceties of speed limits not being applicable to bikes? Nope

Do I blast through, ignoring the 20 limit? Nope

Do I get p****d off at Audi and Range Rover drivers close passing at 40mph+ in a 20mph zone outside 2 schools Yup.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wonder if your Council realises that they cannot instruct NYP to police the 20 mph zones.

Adding these zones to their manifesto to get people to vote for them is a con if they have no power over the police to implement them.

Top Bottom