The pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Cycled to two pubs today: The Flower Pot in Aston near Henley on Thames, and The Horns in Crazies Hill near Twyford. Jolly nice they were too, especially The Horns. It was pretty busy (and expensive) at The Flower Pot. A lot of pubs are still closed, even country pubs with outdoor space.

snorri

Legendary Member
Ventilation.
I am reminded of being seated in an outside dining area of a pub in Germany where smoking was permitted. The dining area was within a three sided tent with a sloping roof and the fourth side attached to the front walls of the pub itself. Before my meal had even been served my eyes had been irritated by the smoky atmosphere in the tent and I looked through the pub windows enviously at the empty tables and chairs within the pub. Fortunately the waiter was happy for me to move to an inside table where the air was so much fresher^_^.

DRM

Guru
I visited my local, the Mitre, on Friday lunchtime, Everyone was behaving themselves as per the rules, the Guv has done a good job at organizing the garden, well spaced out tables, an outdoor ordering area, card payments only, table service, etc etc.
A very good afternoon was had.:cheers:
Can't say the same round here, pubs rammed, with people shoulder to shoulder, all on top of each other, at this rate these idiots will cause another spike in the infection rates.

GetFatty

Über Member
Went to my local micro pub yesterday. He’s only got 7 or 8 outside tables but it was quite quiet and the beer was good. Stopped off at the Spoons on the way back, all 3 gardens packed with yoof but not uncomfortable

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Talking to someone late yesterday who told me he'd just been to a local pub's beer garden and sat outside for 5 hours and drunk/drank🤔 5 pints of 'Extra Cold Guinness'. We had a 'beast from the east' wind here yesterday,making it feel very cold. Is he simple?! 🧐

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I didn't bother trying my local pub out last night. I heard from a fellow customer who'd been in,in the day that they intended closing at 7 o clock. Not the 11 to 12 o clock closing time they had before these lock downs, 'till things pick up again'. He might've got that wrong as rumours fly around giving false information,but if it's true how can things pick up again if they aren't going to open for the bulk of their clientele who work in the day and go in at night time.

Last edited:
Good morning,

I wonder if they fall into one of these two categories.

1) They have made a conscious decision to change their target customers.

Get rid of the regulars who drink 5/6/7 days a week but spend 2 hours in the pub and have 3 pints each time with the view of replacing them with occasional/weekend drinkers who have 4 pints in a hour and then move on or 2 pints in a hour of that stuff that is £5.50 per pint not £3.50.

Or get rid of those regulars whose face no longer fits, a sort of you're banned but we don't want to say that.

2) They run the pub as lifestyle and have gotten used to a lot more free time and "we've always been quiet on a Monday and Tuesday, so we won't bother opening".

Often places run this way have a sense of entitlement to customers and will be disappointed or surprised that being closed has any effect on trade during the times that they are open.

I am not saying that either of these are necessarily good reasons but I can see the thinking behind them.

A while back I looked at a big pub chain in quite great detail and it was surprising how much more successful the businesses that had employees running them were than the ones with fully independent operators. Once the independent operators had more than 1 or 2 pubs, implying managers, the differences disappeared.

The inference is pretty clear, pubs need to be run by managers with relatively little personal commitment to that particular pub, I don't mean lazy or uncaring, just that if tomorrow they are somewhere else, then so be it.

Once the managers have personal emotional commitment it is hard to avoid the place becoming stale as their preferences become dominant over the customers' wants and you end up with the self reinforcing group of customers who say what they want to hear.

We've got one very successful local where the manager is very open, he will work his socks off for the next 10 years doing whatever is needed and wanted and he is in it for the money.

But many other landlords have lost the context of their business, if you consider that 2 pints and a packet of crisps is going to be around £8 or more nearly everywhere outside of a Wetherspoon etc and look at minimum wage level, which are also often the standard wage

23 and over 21 to 22 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice
April 2021 £8.91 £8.36 £6.56 £4.62 £4.30

It costs the same or more to be in the pub per hour as you are earning per hour, yet you can have pretty close to perfect diet on £4 or 1 pint per day.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

GetFatty

Über Member
Not been to the pub yet. I'm booked in a couple of times next week for birthday celebrations but other than that, I will pop in if I'm passing rather than make a special trip

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've sat outside about 3 times at our caravan site pub - wasn't overly busy, but all tables booked in two hour slots, so some might be vacant for an hour before the customer turned up. They were allowing just a few to turn up on spec, but were told they only had an hour as the table was booked. I'm not going inside just yet, don't see the need. I'll probably go out for a meal in early June (wife's birthday).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Or get rid of those regulars whose face no longer fits, a sort of you're banned but we don't want to say that.
I think i fit into that category. One pint a night in over an hour and i take a banana in to eat,not even buying their expensive crisps or peanuts.:unsure: I also listen to such tunes as this on my phone,

to drown out the noise of the chavvy mind numbing radio station they have on. I can see how they see me more as a nuisance rather than a kerching item.'🧐

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have i lost my habit of having a pint every other night in my local? I can't even remember when i was last in the place,or any pub for that matter. I think it might've been last October. I certainly don't miss the hit and miss 'real ale' that sometimes tastes like it's a home brew experiment and i definitely don't miss paying 3 quid a pint for it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just got back from my local pub. I had my first pub pint since the 16th of October last year. The bar chap told me it'd been quiet since opening up again,with only a few in the place on Friday and Saturday, which like other pubs is their busiest night.:sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom