The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Will it be a Shepherd's Pie with a pastry "lid" on it? otherwise some would say that it's not a Shepherd's Pie it's a shepherd's tart...

Think I might have met here sometime in my past.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ooh, I just came so close to REALLY annoying myself! :whistle:

It was my birthday last week and I was sent a £30 Amazon voucher so I popped over to the Amazon site, selected my choice of goodies, and went to complete the order. I must have had a complete brain f*rt because I forgot to apply the voucher code... My index finger came within 2 mm of clicking the left mouse button to settle the bill using my debit card! I just stopped myself! :laugh:

I ordered the Times guide to solving cryptic crosswords, Volume 1 of the Times collection of quick cryptics, and Volume 1 of the Times collection of [in my case, HORRIBLY SLOW!] standard cryptics. I'm always running out of ballpoint pens and ending up with cheap/nasty ones so I ordered a 10-pack of classic BICs to use on my crosswords, and spent the remainder of the voucher on a spare chain for my singlespeed bike.

I checked some of the quick cryptic clues shown on the Amazon sales page and they look to be the kind of difficulty that I can already cope with. Hopefully, the guidebook will get me up to @PaulSB's lofty cryptic crossword standard before too long! :okay:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Ooh, I just came so close to REALLY annoying myself! :whistle:

It was my birthday last week and I was sent a £30 Amazon voucher so I popped over to the Amazon site, selected my choice of goodies, and went to complete the order. I must have had a complete brain f*rt because I forgot to apply the voucher code... My index finger came within 2 mm of clicking the left mouse button to settle the bill using my debit card! I just stopped myself! :laugh:

I ordered the Times guide to solving cryptic crosswords, Volume 1 of the Times collection of quick cryptics, and Volume 1 of the Times collection of [in my case, HORRIBLY SLOW!] standard cryptics. I'm always running out of ballpoint pens and ending up with cheap/nasty ones so I ordered a 10-pack of classic BICs to use on my crosswords, and spent the remainder of the voucher on a spare chain for my singlespeed bike.

I checked some of the quick cryptic clues shown on the Amazon sales page and they look to be the kind of difficulty that I can already cope with. Hopefully, the guidebook will get me up to @PaulSB's lofty cryptic crossword standard before too long! :okay:

Happy Birthday for last week.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Happy Birthday for last week.
Thanks. It would have been even happier if the government hadn't raised the pension age! I am now the ripe old age of 65 (how the heck did THAT happen so quickly! :wacko:) but I have to wait another year for mine.

I have a state pension countdown running on the blackboard in my kitchen. It was on 80 weeks to go when I started, but only 51-odd now. :smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Thanks. It would have been even happier if the government hadn't raised the pension age! I am now the ripe old age of 65 (how the heck did THAT happen so quickly! :wacko:) but I have to wait another year for mine.

I have a state pension countdown running on the blackboard in my kitchen. It was on 80 weeks to go when I started, but only 51-odd now. :smile:
I know how you feel. My 65th birthday is March so 12 months more for me, well 6 bloody years more in fact:cursing:

GM

Legendary Member
This is the remainder of our Shepherds pie, 3 of us couldn't quite manage all of it.... :hungry:

classic33

Leg End Member
Sounds nice.
A tad pedantic but to my (very limited knowledge)...........
Cottage pie is beef
Shepherds pie is lamb
Feel free to tell me to bog off but I am saving you a visit from CLASSIC :eek:
You called...

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy

I didn’t have to wait the full extra year for my state pension because my birthday was just after the cut off date for the age change (December 1953 ) so I was 65 and 5 months. So money from the Government no more national insurance to pay and a bus pass. :wahhey:

Top Bottom