The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
She had a mixed/restless night. Just had some pain killers and gone back to sleep.
Re the drain.....I fully agree but that is apparently the norm now.
Good luck with Mrs D's recovery!
No idea how single, elderly people could possibly cope.
I was only 56 when I was hospitalised with clotted lungs.

The medics got me to the point where they wanted to discharge me after 4 or 5 days but I had to stay in hospital for 9 days because I couldn't cope by myself and nobody was free to help.

When I was able to go 8-10 hours unattended a pal took me in for a couple of weeks. I saw her in the morning before she went out to work and again after work.

After that I moved home and she called round twice a day with meals.

The only other way it could have worked would have been for carers to come in twice a day.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Good luck with Mrs D's recovery!

I was only 56 when I was hospitalised with clotted lungs.

The medics got me to the point where they wanted to discharge me after 4 or 5 days but I had to stay in hospital for 9 days because I couldn't cope by myself and nobody was free to help.

When I was able to go 8-10 hours unattended a pal took me in for a couple of weeks. I saw her in the morning before she went out to work and again after work.

After that I moved home and she called round twice a day with meals.

The only other way it could have worked would have been for carers to come in twice a day.
Tried for carers and got an emphatic no!!
If needed I could pay for care but I prefer to know they are qualified.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
New shoes have arrived - now for a tryout walk down to the village. :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
@oldwheels out of interest, how much do you rely on ferries and what does it cost a near?
Being an island we are 100% dependent on ferries apart from helicopter medivacs.
On a personal basis I would reckon about 80% or 90% dependent as I would not necessarily starve and many things can be got online. However as this morning illustrates with virtually nothing I want to buy in stock in the coop it can get frustrating and so prepandemic I went to Oban with a car about once every 2 or 3 weeks. In any case the coop has a very limited variety of stock and for many items I have to go to Oban.
As I have a blue badge I have a discount and so pay £20.70 return for the car and with a ferry card £1.50 for myself return. Cheaper prices in Oban pretty well pay the ferry cost. This is dependent on getting a booking on suitable ferries which is not always possible as they are sometimes booked solid for a whole day in tourist season. It is possible to go as a standby but may not get off and more important not get home.
If the main ferry to Oban is full it is possible to go on the small ferries via Lochaline or Kilchoan but that means going via Corran ferry and is an 80 mile trip to Oban via Lochaline. These ferries are non bookable but you may have a long wait tho' they have never been known to stop until the queue is cleared.
For hospital appointments in Oban they may try to get you on the Oban ferry as the alternative ferries are not suitable. As I used to have friends in the office I could sometimes pull in favours but they have all died or retired now.
There is also the possibility of Ft William 60 miles away but I am not keen on that road journey which I regard as dangerous and in summer Ft William is very often gridlocked.

Tenkaykev

Guru
New shoes have arrived - now for a tryout walk down to the village. :okay:

View attachment 588505
I used to wear Clarkes shoes, they did a wide fitting and a cushioned footbed that I got on with really well. Next time I went to buy a pair the quality had really deteriorated and I noticed that they were just buying stuff in from Portugal / Vietnam etc and still trying to charge a premium. They lost me as a customer, I don’t mind spending a fair amount on decent shoes but don’t sack your workforce, buy crap in from abroad and expect to still charge a premium.

12boy

Guru
Dave 7, the maIn thing the cancer guys stressed (and continue to stress even now, 4 years later) is fever. If there is one, contact an ER, doctor or hospital right away. With you taking care of her, I am sure she will be as safe as she would in a hospital. Healing takes lots of good, nutritious food and you can certainly provide better and tastier grub than the hospital. Best wishes for her.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Back down from the allotment and I'm pleased to say a fine array of veggies are now well underway. This year we have tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, spinach, chard, parsley, asparagus, broccoli, purple sprouting, Cavelo Nero, lettuce, spring onions, leeks, shallots, garlic, onions, red currants, black currants, green gooseberries, red gooseberries, rhubarb, apples. I'm rather pleased with this as I think I've got my timing spot on this year.

I'm glad I can do something as I've discovered this morning I'm an utterly inadequate cyclist not fit to wear the trouser clips of others.

Top Bottom