The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fence is a small village near Burnley.........so named to keep 'em in!! :laugh:
They made the escape route very narrow for those who manage to scale the Fence with their bikes... :whistle:

Well, not if you use the A6068, but what self-respecting cyclist would do that when there is a lovely little lane parallel to Pendle Hill that can be taken from Fence to Padiham Heights!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Goodness me it’s hot! 31 degrees ☀️😮 I’m sat in the living room drifting in and out of sleep. There’s a cold beer in the fridge, it’s not too early is it ? 🍺

Back from an enjoyable 45 miles with Mrs F, wonderfully quiet and scenic little lanes through Midlothian and into East Lothian. Picnic lunch in the park at Pencaitland then a mostly offroad return via various paths and tracks. Strong sun to set off with, hazed over for the second half of the ride, strong sun again now. Temp 21° but a delightfully cool easterly breeze keeping things comfortable.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
They made the escape route very narrow for those who manage to scale the Fence with their bikes... :whistle:

Well, not if you use the A6068, but what self-respecting cyclist would do that when there is a lovely little lane parallel to Pendle Hill that can be taken from Fence to Padiham Heights!

View attachment 600118

View attachment 600119
We will be on this road tomorrow (above Sabden out towards Roughlee, I think). I've a route Chorley >Whalley >The Nick >Sabden >Black Hill >Barley** >Downham >Waddington Fell >Cow Ark >Birdy Brow >Ribchester (cafe) >Roach Bridge >Home.

** I really feel the climb out of Barley over to Downham deserves a name but no one seems to have got round to it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is the new finger thingy. Altogether much better. The hand therapist advised I shouldn't cycle for a month. Apparently when one curls the fingers it is the same muscle which controls each finger. Even if the finger is strapped straight like this there is still some pull along its length.

Usually I am a very good patient and do as requested.......but I've just had three weeks off the bike with a cough. I simply cannot do another four. I'll be thinking carefully about how I use my hand. As it's the right I can improvise by riding in the middle of the cassette and using the chain rings more.

I didn't tell her.......🤫

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm waiting for cooler conditions this evening before venturing back out on my bike.

I did a quick 4 km loop this morning to pick up a Metro and a few things from Aldi and it was already getting a bit too warm for me.

We will be on this road tomorrow (above Sabden out towards Roughlee, I think). I've a route Chorley >Whalley >The Nick >Sabden >Black Hill >Barley** >Downham >Waddington Fell >Cow Ark >Birdy Brow >Ribchester (cafe) >Roach Bridge >Home.

** I really feel the climb out of Barley over to Downham deserves a name but no one seems to have got round to it.
That's a nice lumpy route!

Which variation are you taking from Stump Hall to Barley? I think the toughest (and my favourite) is the obvious one - drop down to Sabden Fold and then do the tough climb over to Newchurch. The first time I did it I spotted a road going up steeply way over on the left and thought how pleased I was that our route didn't go that way... Then we turned left, and it DID! :laugh:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This is the new finger thingy. Altogether much better. The hand therapist advised I shouldn't cycle for a month. Apparently when one curls the fingers it is the same muscle which controls each finger. Even if the finger is strapped straight like this there is still some pull along its length.

Usually I am a very good patient and do as requested.......but I've just had three weeks off the bike with a cough. I simply cannot do another four. I'll be thinking carefully about how I use my hand. As it's the right I can improvise by riding in the middle of the cassette and using the chain rings more.

I didn't tell her.......🤫

View attachment 600142
That looks like something that’s been made with one of these 3D printer thingies?

pawl

Legendary Member
I've made my fat cry this morning, I've been for a bimble. Shenton the destination, 34 miles the journey. Started of on my Hoar park loop but at Ansley I turned right on the island and dropped down into Galley Common, a village in a dip, you descend into it then climb out, crossed the Coleshill road and climbed through Hartshill, as the name suggests its a village on a hill, climb though the village then descend away from it, I'd got to 35 mph on the descent then had to stop for the lights at the narrow bridge. Crossed the A5 and through Fenny Drayton, crossed the A444 and up Fenn Lane then left for Shenton. on through Upton then crossed the A444 through Atterton and Witherley, then crossed the A5 and into Mancetter, right by the church and up Purley Chase the onto Ansley where I picked my route out and followed it back into Coventry. An excellent two and a half hours on the bike, a bit warm but bright, sunny and mostly still .

View attachment 600106

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/71583599

Ride a few routes around Shenton Was Whitmoors the coffee /cake stop?:hungry:

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The Eagle has landed.

We are about 2 miles from the famous Haytor climb on Dartmoor, in a secluded valley about half a mile off the road at a stud farm.
Should be peaceful tonight.
Had a very nice lunch at the Star Inn. Got back to the van and the flush had packed up on the toilet!
Spent about 10 minutes tinkering to sort it out - all good now.
There's always something!
Had an afternoon siesta and all refreshed now. :okay:
Just having a cuppa and biccie whilst enjoying the view.

Top Bottom