The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just had notification of pay rises on our pensions and also a hefty wodge of cash interest on investment.
Might push the boat out next week and treat myself and the missus.:okay:

Mrs M

Guru
Just had notification of pay rises on our pensions and also a hefty wodge of cash interest on investment.
Might push the boat out next week and treat myself and the missus.:okay:
Go for it :smile:
Enjoy!

screenman

Legendary Member
When a post like this was on another forum most of the early retiree's were civil or public servants of some kind, I wonder if that is the same here.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, it's been seven months since I retired. My days revolve around shooting, dogwalking and chores, although it was all a bit limited by my old hip. The new one is now eight weeks old, I'm barely limited by it now, and have reached boredom threshold. North Yorks want a firearms enquiry officer so I've chucked my hat in the ring for a job share if possible.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
(This excludes the likes of @Drago who have for one reason or another "gone" early) :smile: but must admit being a "concession" has taken a bit of getting used to. In fact my wife frequently voices "You're a concession" when we visit places that have them.
Obviously depends on your use of rail transport, but the senior railcard has paid for itself in just over two months.:okay:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
@CharlieB pointed out last night that the date when my state pension kicks in is actually eight and a half months later than I had always assumed. When I calculated the actual value of the short-fall, it didn't seem quite so bad.:sad:

U

User32269

The bus drivers in Liverpool used to call pensioners twirlys. They couldn't use bus passes before 9:30am, but would get on the bus about quarter past, flash their passes and ask the driver "is it twirly* to use this mate?"

*too early (for people wot don't talk proper)

Lostmiles

Being retired is hard work. After 18 years of striving to do my best at being retired I am considering retiring from retirement. Do you think this will entitle me to another "secondary State Pension" for long term retirees? It is all very difficult deciding if the lawn cutting can wait another couple of days whilst I go off fishing or golfing. The hiking boots and bike pedals are becoming quite worn and will need replacing. It seems I shall have to stop baking cakes in order to save my pennies to replace the boots and pedals. I shall miss talking to Delia in my kitchen on rainy days.

Lostmiles

OOPs. My reply became entangled in your post. Sorry about that.
Pick a nice route to a nice destination that sells them and on one nice day go and buy them. There is no rush.....take your time.

Top Bottom