The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
A good game at Kingsholm this afternoon where the mighty Gloucester eventually saw off Northampton with a second half comeback. Some good tries, particularly Northampton's try from deep in their own 25, even though those in a position to see were of the opinion that it came from a forward pass.
Just looked at the highlights, the pass looked alright to me.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Wales 9 France 13.
Where's Max Boyce when you need someone to point at and laugh?

yello

I enjoyed that game. I don't support any rugby team as such (though have a thing for Scotland) so can watch these games purely for entertainment value. I think Wales can be well proud of their effort, on another day that would have won them the game - and but for a handling error, may well have last night. Tbh, I thought they were going to get a win, they certainly had enough control.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Silly high tackle after 1 minute and England’s chances of winning are over.

How angry would you be if you paid £100 for a ticket?

delb0y

Legendary Member
For many month's now I've been getting more and more fed up with the amount of clear forward passes that are being let go. I assume it's an unofficial decision by the PTB to make the game more entertaining for the occasional viewer. But in my view it's ruining it.

Not high, but leading with the head.
However, most tackles appear to be made with the head making contact at the same time as the shoulders on the opponent.
This time I thought the head made contact marginally before he got his arms round. It was tough at that stage of the match but the rules were changed to be tough on head to head contact and you always take a risk with standing up straight tackles.

England have done really well since then, but the extra effort might tell in the second half.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
For many month's now I've been getting more and more fed up with the amount of clear forward passes that are being let go. I assume it's an unofficial decision by the PTB to make the game more entertaining for the occasional viewer. But in my view it's ruining it.
I think you're nit-picking, it was only a marginal 3 or 4 yards forward.

Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed that. Obviously I'd have preferred a different result, but there's nor argument over the outcome. They can all walk away with their head high.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
England have had a very mixed 6 Nations.
But for 2 crazy events they would be undefeated.
The Cowan Dickie knock on and today’s tackle both cost them the game.
It will be interesting to see how they play against France. They will need 15 men to get close.

England have had a very mixed 6 Nations.
But for 2 crazy events they would be undefeated.
The Cowan Dickie knock on and today’s tackle both cost them the game.
It will be interesting to see how they play against France. They will need 15 men to get close.
They also need to do a bit more than rely on penalties to keep the score ticking along against France.

Against teams other than Italy they have scored just two tries and conceded nine, and I cannot see France with Sean Edwards as defence coach giving away so many penalties.

But if England can replicate the intensity of today they're in with a chance.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed that. Obviously I'd have preferred a different result, but there's nor argument over the outcome. They can all walk away with their head high.
Absolutely! That was epic! What a match!

Fantastic play, speed and ferocity, stonewall defence, some truly astonishing end to end and back again sequences the like of which I can't remember, it just never let up from start to finish. They say it can be harder to beat 10 men than 11, and England played like a team that felt wronged by the letter of the law. All credit to Ireland for a deserved win, overall. But it certainly wasn't the mauling I was expecting after minute two.

Terrible result; great, great game. :bravo:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
"I thought that England were only correctly awarded three or four of those penalties, and I thought two or three of them should have gone Ireland’s way.

To be honest I thought England were very lucky to get some of those penalties, especially in the last two scrums before half-time. England ran those scrums around, I don’t know if they were looking for the penalty intentionally, but for me especially the last two I didn’t think they were driving straight, it looked like they were running around and not square.

When you review the scrum and look at it, the actual scrum penalty count should probably have been 4-2 or even 3-3, so I’m glad the yellow card didn’t come from it because I thought definitely two penalties should have gone to Ireland.

Although I thought there weren't six penalties against Ireland, there were in the game so you can understand why some people are asking why there wasn’t a yellow card - it’s a valid point. From that fifth or sixth penalty you’re expecting a warning to come. But I’m glad it didn’t.
"

Nigel Owens comments in Telegraph

So England produced a spirited response in adversity ROARED on by the crowd. Without the penalty count they'd have come away with nothing to cheer about. The half backs did look lively and tried some runs but they went nowhere - need more ideas and settled centres. And yet you know as soon as they are fit an older and slower Farrell and Tuilagi will be recalled, stalling further progress. Heaven knows but Eddie will probably believe his own mad utterings and start Nowell at 6! I haven't see much progress this year from England.

Ireland, not at their clinical best, score 4 tries and win at fortress Twickenham. They are developing a system and confidence to keep with it when under pressure. Look at Connor Murray - under Schmidt he slowed everything down and controlled the game. Now he comes on and keeps the pace up. Ireland had a bad 15mins at the start of the 6 nations and have 'won' every important stat since. Now it depends if other teams can figure out how to slow their game down and dominate the pack. Never expected them to win both away games, so it's been a decent 6 Nations

Can't see France losing next week but I'm worried that they are heading down a blind corridor. About twice a game they produce sensational flowing play that blows the opposition away. This season instead of building a team to exploit that, they've gone down the route of picking the biggest forwards and having 6 more giant replacements on the bench. This season despite winning every game (:rolleyes:) they've seemed to stutter and I hope they don't lose their way and get bogged down playing attritional rugby. If they can put together a complete performance, I can't see anyone living with them. They have the talent to become a really great team.

Last edited:
"I thought that England were only correctly awarded three or four of those penalties, and I thought two or three of them should have gone Ireland’s way.

To be honest I thought England were very lucky to get some of those penalties, especially in the last two scrums before half-time. England ran those scrums around, I don’t know if they were looking for the penalty intentionally, but for me especially the last two I didn’t think they were driving straight, it looked like they were running around and not square.

When you review the scrum and look at it, the actual scrum penalty count should probably have been 4-2 or even 3-3, so I’m glad the yellow card didn’t come from it because I thought definitely two penalties should have gone to Ireland.

Although I thought there weren't six penalties against Ireland, there were in the game so you can understand why some people are asking why there wasn’t a yellow card - it’s a valid point. From that fifth or sixth penalty you’re expecting a warning to come. But I’m glad it didn’t.
"

Nigel Owens comments in Telegraph

So England produced a spirited response in adversity ROARED on by the crowd. Without the penalty count they'd have come away with nothing to cheer about. The half backs did look lively and tried some runs but they went nowhere - need more ideas and settled centres. And yet you know as soon as they are fit an older and slower Farrell and Tuilagi will be recalled, stalling further progress. Heaven knows but Eddie will probably believe his own mad utterings and start Nowell at 6! I haven't see much progress this year from England.

Ireland, not at their clinical best, score 4 tries and win at fortress Twickenham. They are developing a system and confidence to keep with it when under pressure. Look at Connor Murray - under Schmidt he slowed everything down and controlled the game. Now he comes on and keeps the pace up. Ireland had a bad 15mins at the start of the 6 nations and have 'won' every important stat since. Now it depends if other teams can figure out how to slow their game down and dominate the pack. Never expected them to win both away games, so it's been a decent 6 Nations

Can't see France losing next week but I'm worried that they are heading down a blind corridor. About twice a game they produce sensational flowing play that blows the opposition away. This season instead of building a team to exploit that, they've gone down the route of picking the biggest forwards and having 6 more giant replacements on the bench. This season despite winning every game (:rolleyes:) they've seemed to stutter and I hope they don't lose their way and get bogged down playing attritional rugby. If they can put together a complete performance, I can't see anyone living with them. They have the talent to become a really great team.
Interesting point from Nigel Owens, who actually knows a lot about the scrummaging laws and how they are got around. At that level the possible slight difference in strength of the forwards rarely results in such a one-way sequence of turned scrums.

Lawes showed he is much better in the second row than the back row and I suspect he might stay there despite Jones not always doing the obvious.

France seem to be copying the South Africa "bomb squad" which helped win them the World Cup, and I can't see them changing a winning format this close to the next World Cup.

Top Bottom