The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
My XC70 is due MOT on Wednesday morning at 0930. First one in 2 years due to C19 etc. So confident am I it doesn't need a jot doing to it. I'll do the fuel filter this morning but that's sod all to do with MOT. Just gives me 30 mins to look it over.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
We shall hold a vigil at 0930hrs on wednesday and prat for it's safe passage.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
On the way back from Tesco Fortnum and Mason today the "Engine System Service Required" message came up. The car drives perfectly, so up until now ive been using the iCarsoft V2 to reset the message and forgetting about it for 6 months until it returns.

This time I had a proper nosey and discovered the actuator arm for the swirl flaps was adrift, the ball on the lever at the flap end broken. Not an issue - the flaps perform a very minor emissions function, make no difference to running - but I'm going to sort it.

Manipulating the lever by hand shows the flaps themselves are free and in good order, so I just need to bodge fabricate some kind of repair. I have a plan, and when the weather improves i'll swing into action.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
On the way back from Tesco Fortnum and Mason today the "Engine System Service Required" message came up. The car drives perfectly, so up until now ive been using the iCarsoft V2 to reset the message and forgetting about it for 6 months until it returns.

This time I had a proper nosey and discovered the actuator arm for the swirl flaps was adrift, the ball on the lever at the flap end broken. Not an issue - the flaps perform a very minor emissions function, make no difference to running - but I'm going to sort it.

Manipulating the lever by hand shows the flaps themselves are free and in good order, so I just need to bodge fabricate some kind of repair. I have a plan, and when the weather improves i'll swing into action.
Common theme on variable vane swirl flaps, there are a few aftermarket fixed vane options out there.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, its fairly common on thr D5 185 and all sorts of kits and bits are available to remedy it, but I reckon I can fix it for free. Hell, a new arm from Volvo is £8 - I'm not made of money!

Fortunately its fairly unusual for the flaps themselves to turn faulty or seize, unless the car is a short journey scoot and the carbon builds up quicker than it can burn off.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ok, revisited the swirl flap problem today. Cleaned the area up with brake cleaner, then wore my glasses so I could see what was going on.

Straightforward. The actuator linkage had popped off. This is common as they wear, and new linkage is only £8. I popped it back on and was very loose - this is common, and they pop off as the wear.

I removed the linkage entirely and had a good look-see. The nylon socket looked ok, but was clearly worn to be as loose as it was. No worries - I heated it gently over the gas hob until it had softened and closed it up a fraction with pliers while it was still warm.

I let it cool and refitted it, and it was a nice positive fit. Swirl flaps now operate properly, which makes no different to the running but the warning message now stays firmly off. Sorted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Volvo wouldnt start last night. My one, that is. Everything lights up, but zip response to the key.

Tried the spare key, bingo! All is good.

The spare key is as new, totally unused. The key that has died looks like something Tony Robinson and his mates dug up. It has had a hard life, and has been through the washing machine at least once during my ownership :laugh: Nevertheless, it still opens to doors and the like, but the lack of starting suggests to me the glass transponder chip is U/S.

Rang a local bloke whose website proclaims he can repair and reprogram such things, but he doesn't answer. Next time a small business person bleats about business being bad feel free to kick them in the plums/lady garden and tell them theyd earn more money if the answered the phone.

Not liking having only one functioning key I rang Bells Volvo, and they relieved me of £298 for a new one. That includes programming, so some small consolation.

Its painful, but its one of those things. The car itself is still mighty and strong, so its worth the outlay. If one thinks about it, £300 is barely a single months repayment on some sheety little hatchback on PCP, so I'm still well ahead of the game. The car was £48,000 in November 2008, which is still 800 sheets a months over 5 years at zero %, so put in perspective 300 is a ballache but I can't really grumble.

V5 and my D/L photo'd and emailed to Bells, key ordered, new one should be here next week.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D's T8 has politely informed us that it needs an oil change, so thats going in to Bells this morning. Then we have a morning trundling about in my old tractor doing some chores, by which time Mrs D's should be ready to collect.

The difference between Mrs D's super hi tec battle wagon and my old gen 1 XC90 reminds me of the difference between the Millenium Falcon and an Imperial cruiser - bother do the job, but one is outdated and held together with gaffa tape and a prayer, and the other is ultra modern and shiny and ruthlessly efficient.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Was going in for the new key this morning, but the dealers phone to advise they had arrived at work to find they had no internet, without which their pooter can't talk the Volvo HQ in Gotham City, snd they can't program the key. Rebooked for thursday.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
I was heading out the other morning in the '70 and noticed the nearside r/v mirror wobbling about. Got out to check it and the glass fell off in my hand. 😬 The glass had detached from the backing plate heating element thingy for some reason. Superglued it and clamped it lightly and hopefully it'll stay there and the heat won't affect the glue too much.
Time will tell.

Top Bottom