The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
How do you like the weatherbotherers? We put Hankook 4s on the XC70 a few weeks ago which feel very good so far.
Im liking them vey much. Well behaved in the dry, civilised in the wet, and by all accounts uo there with dedicated snow boots in the, er, snow. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

They weren't cheap though.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I hope you kept the thermostatic cut-out...

Some clever person at the Volvo factory wired our old V70's front heated seats up so the the right switch heated the left side seat and vice-versa.... it took Mrs A_T quite a while to cotton on.

Yep, I did the passenger seat this afternoon. Drivers side it was the backrest pad which needed fixing, passenger side the base pad. Both the thermostats are working.

Venod

Eh up
We have a V40 which I quite like, but it is my first Volvo and I am no expert, my lad has a Qashqai that has north of 100,000 on a 1.5 Renault diesel engine, he does a 50 mile round trip for work everyday mostly M62 (rather him than me) he will soon be ready for changing, he won't be buying new or nearly new, he probably wants an estate as an SUV will be more expensive, what is the general opinion of a good long lasting diesel engine in the Volvo range?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The D5 will last forever. A V70 or XC70 would be just the ticket.

ETA
Drago & I disagree over the 163 Euro 3 and the AW55 5-speed auto btw - there's much to like about both of them, as long as maintained, much as can be said of all other iterations. I'm still running an E3 D5 in an S60 after 90K+, and ran the AW55 without issues for 100K or so. Our C70 T5 uses the '55 also, and all's well.

The issue with the autoboxes (that includes the '80 box we're currently running) is that Volvo doesn't specify ATF changes, unlike other manufacturers who use them. It's therefore always a 'buyer beware' item to check particularly carefully and change the ATF every c60K miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
D5 for sure. Try and avoid any D5 with a 5 speed auto though - a troublesome box. You want 6 speed auto. There is a manual, but its very rare on any model with D5 engine, and clutch and DMF aren't cheap. The 6 speed auto is very robust, particularly if its had its fluid chsnged at about 120k miles.

The earlier 163 version if the D5 can be troublesome, injector failure and a core plug behind the gearbox that can start leaking. Its all relative though - its still a tough unit, and any running well now are likely well sorted.

185 is better, but the swirl flaps can be troublesome. Its an easy, if lengthy, DIY fix at about 60 quid for the parts, but much of the time they seize in the open position anyway which has zero effect on engine running. Mine is like this, and despite the swirl flaps supposedly being there for emissions purposes it still went through the MOT with no detectable emissions.

The 200/205 is best of the bunch, no real vices, but liable to still be new enough to be expensive.

There is a smaller 2 litre D5 5 cylinder, fairly rare in the UK but it does crop up occasionally in the XC60. By all accounts that version is supposed to be very solid as well.

And then there's that D5 growl when accelerating is one of the manliest sounds in motoring!

If he can find a V50 or V70 in good order with the D5 unit then your lad is sorted - he'll soon wonder why he bothered driving anything else. Both can be had for low money. Provided there is evidence of a decent service history he needn't benput off by high miles - as long as theyre cared for Volvos simply don't age in the manner that run-of-the-mill cars do. A V70 D5 with, say, 150,000 miles is liable to still have another reliable and economic 150,000 miles left in it, whereas a Renault or Ford will most likely be on its knocking by then.

Plenty in the VOC with North of 400k miles and still in daily use. There was a V70 cropped up recently in the VOC with a million miles, still on the original engine which had never been apart. Aside from a worn drivers seat it had very little on view to betray its mileage. When the bomb drops the only people who will survive will be thouse who sought shelter inside a D5 block.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
More or less what @Drago said. I've had the D5 in 163 and 205 bhp guises, with both the 5 speed and 6 speed auto 'boxes. Both decent lumps, the 163 and 5 speed was hesitant and lacked the oomph for the XC90, the 205 was so much better.
Of course, what you really want is a good old red block in a Volvo:smile: Mines at 181k so far.

yello

A C30 - the basic 1.6D, a "hair dresser's car" as my brother would have called it, and arguably not a Volvo (as remarked previously). It's near completely impractical but I like it, though use it rarely. As it's worth sod all, I hang on to it.

I like its 'luxury' and solid, well-built feel. It's also lovely to drive. A 2008 with near 70k miles on the clock, it's been serviced annually to requirements (often dealer serviced) and had timing belt (plus water pump) and DPF changed.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A C30 - the basic 1.6D, a "hair dresser's car" as my brother would have called it, and arguably not a Volvo (as remarked previously). It's near completely impractical but I like it, though use it rarely. As it's worth sod all, I hang on to it.

I like its 'luxury' and solid, well-built feel. It's also lovely to drive. A 2008 with near 70k miles on the clock, it's been serviced annually to requirements (often dealer serviced) and had timing belt (plus water pump) and DPF changed.
I like the C30, looked at them for SWMBO but with 2 kids and friends to travel the 4 seats didn't really work.

yello

I like the C30, looked at them for SWMBO but with 2 kids and friends to travel the 4 seats didn't really work.

It's not even a practical 4 seater! You need to be pretty lithe, or preferably a contortionist, to get into the back. Comfortable enough when you're there with good leg room but it is not easy getting there. Not one for taking the grandparents out in, let's put it that way.

And bordering on pathetic boot space (and access) I can get my bike in but it's easier if you take the wheels off (the bike, not the car!)

Found this, on my cameras spare memory card

Not sure when it was taken. but probably within the last year?

Sainsburys
Trinity Walk
Wakefield

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Found this, on my cameras spare memory card

Not sure when it was taken. but probably within the last year?

Sainsburys
Trinity Walk
Wakefield

View attachment 572817

View attachment 572818
Interesting. Looks like a Torslandar by virtue of the plain running strips (most models had chrome inlays), with Virgo alloys. And another different position for the radio aerial, Volvo moved that 3 times at least on the 240 range.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
DVLA shows it as a 2.4 petrol.

Now, Volvo never did the 240 with a 2.4 petrol engine, so I wonder it its had a 5 cylinder conversion?

Last edited:
This morning, at the Glasshoughton (Castleford/Pontefract) branch of B&Q, a Volvo pulled in

A lovely condition, original looking, 850 estate, in red
It was on an 'N' plate
I've no idea what model it was, but it was on silver alloys

I did have my phone with me (for a change!), but the driver was still in, as we walked in to the store
Sadly it was gone, by the time we came out 20 minutes later

T'was nice to see it though!:okay:

Top Bottom