The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Errrrmmm… not quite. DPFs are prone to blocking by combusted oil ash...
Not on the Volvo XC, simply because theyre enormous,,like the size of a water fire extinguisher. They are so huge they don't block unless physically breaking up inside through external damage. They just do not go wrong on their own, and only go t**s up when a fault elsewhere causes issues.

Adblue is an exhaust after treatment.

Eoyls is a combustion enhancer that raises combustion chamber temperatures to assist with regeneration on DPF equipped vehicles, and acts as a catalyst to lower the temperature at which the soot burns.

The D5 XC60/70/90 have none of that. Nowt. Nada. Nothing to go wrong, run out, or create unwanted combustuon by products during a regeneration.

The D5 engines are big and efficient enough that they regenerate very well cobusting only diesel alone, and do so very frequently, and at only slightly elevated temperatures. Much less ash, lower temps, and combined with a DPF twice the size of anyone elses means they just do not cause problems on their own.

On the rare occasuon a D5 DPF causes problems it is invariably something else that has broken and caused symptoms elewhere, and invariably once that separate fault has been rectified the DPF itself behaves normally.

This is why even 15 year old D5s that have been round the clock twice are so clean they rarely even trigger the smoke opacity test machine during an MOT (today mine yet again registered 00.00).

@Hicky your're correct, more mainstreams systems like Peugeot, Ford, VW, even Volvo themselves where they used Ford/PSA motors, etc can be seriously troublesome, but the physical arcitecture and manner of operation differs somewhat on the D5 and its not an issue.

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
No reason why not. All that killed ours (for us, anyway, as it's still on the road) was the front transfer box failing, so we chopped it in for a newer XC70.
The advantage of having a bit of a nail is I can park it at Tesco and other cars won't get too close in case the "careless owner of the dump" marks their posh car they will never own.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Outback is a superb machine, came close myself a couple of years ago but ended up with the Forester for a spell. However, the diesel is trouble prone, and while the petrol is tough it is a fearsomely thirsty old boot. I know running costs are a bit of a moot point on SUV's, but even so...

Theres not a lot left now in production that would tempt the owner of an XC70 like yours, or a phase 1 XC90 like mine. Indeed, when mine goes to Volvo heaven ill be giving up driving.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The Outback is a superb machine, came close myself a couple of years ago but ended up with the Forester for a spell. However, the diesel is trouble prone, and while the petrol is tough it is a fearsomely thirsty old boot. I know running costs are a bit of a moot point on SUV's, but even so...

Theres not a lot left now in production that would tempt the owner of an XC70 like yours, or a phase 1 XC90 like mine. Indeed, when mine goes to Volvo heaven ill be giving up driving.
The diesel's fixed nowadays AIUI, but a bit weedy compared to its peers, and they have tried (a bit) to reduce the thirst.

Hicky

Guru
After a quick wipe down she’s good as part worn haha.

I saw an odd XC90, when I was driving into Wakefield at tea-time
(on Aberford Road/A642, near Pinderfields General Hospital)

A 'first generation' silhouette
It had a roof-rack, with (maybe) 6 white LED' marker-lights on it

American style (.... what I think of, as 80's Pick-Up fashion) side-steps (full-length) with orange marker-lights
Then, as I looked in the mirrors, as it passed, another 6 (or so) red LED markers on the back of the roof-rack:headshake:

Sorry, @Drago, no photographs, as I was moving, & it was before I picked my daughter up (or I'd have asked her to take a picture)

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
New tyres fitted and wheel alignment done. Feels a lot more planted and less twitchy, and the reduction in tyre noise is a pleasant surprise.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well it seems I may be on the hunt for another Volvo. SWMBO doesn't like driving the 240, and in fairness it's a bit of a clunky old motor, yet barely even run in yet on 183k. We need a big estate for the 3 dogs, so it looks like the Fiesta and 240 will be going to be replaced with a single wagon. Current thinking is towards an XC70, one of the last proper Volvo versions so 2006 - 2007. Now I've had the D5 in both 163 & 205 BHP variants, but given that this will be doing some short runs I'm leaning towards one of the 2.5T petrol versions, auto box of course. Currently looking at Japanese imports since they tend to be rust free.

Top Bottom