The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, we've know that for over a decade. And your point is what, exactly?

Prior to that it was owned by Ford as part of the Premier Automotive Group, along with Aston Martin and Shaguar Land rover. Ford mismanaged them all very badly and ground AM and JLR close to the point of bankruptcy before selling them at a huge loss.

Volvo suffered too, but had a better business model to begin with and weathered Ford ownership surprisingly well, although towards the end they were suffering too. Geely came in and bought Volvo from Ford, who suffrred a big loss with the sale.

The big Difference is Geely don't get involved in the running of the company. They own the firm but habe no involvement in its running or strategic direction. Indeed, Volvo are now leading some parts of Geely and steering their manufacturing towards eldcteification.

Geely simply sign the cheques and trust the Volvo management to get on with it, and as a result the firm have gone from strength to strenth with new models and massive market share gains across the globe, growth that would give Renault shareholders PTSD.

Did you know the average lifespan of a Volvo is 20.7 years? Depending on who you ask that is the longest average lifespan of any brand (arguably Mercedes might just trump it, depending on how one crunches the numbers).

The average lifespan of a Renault under 12 years. Nuff said.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
No point intended. I just wondered how people knew that.
The lifespan of a car is completely irrelevant really as how many people intend to keep their cars for 20 years?
If they did, all car manufacturers would go bust.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Its very relevant. Its highly indicative of a quality product, and that in turn prompts people to buy new ones.

Clearly making shoddy ones isn't working well as a business model for Renault...

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Its very relevant. Its highly indicative of a quality product, and that in turn prompts people to buy new ones.

Clearly making shoddy ones isn't working well as a business model for Renault...
People don't change cars because the quality is shoddy, they change because they grow tired of their current ones and wish for something new.
Any good sales executive would tell you that.
As far as shoddyness is concerned, there is no such thing anymore. The advent of robots and automation has improved the quality of all cars considerably and I mean all makes of cars. Also, all car manufacturers share many components nowadays. They wouldn't do that if the quality wasn't there.
I have had Renaults, Citroens and Peugeots over the years and they were all good ,reliable cars. The concept that French cars are unreliable is an old cliche that is laughable now.
As you know, my next car, on order now, is a new Dacia Sanderro Stepway. I have read only good reports on it and am looking forward to owning it.
What I am really saying is that there are no bad car brands anymore. It is just a question of personal preferences.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I never suggested any reason as to why people do or do not change cars, so that is an odd comment.

I do suggsst though that given the choice people will choose a quality car every single time.. if they can afford it.

Enjoy your Dacia. There are a few Dacia owners on the forum so you could start a thread, and perhaps a long service award thread for those that make to to 5 years.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Did any of you know that Volvo is now owned by China's Zhejiang Geely Holding since 2010?
Just saying. :whistle:
Yep, but since both of my current ones are from the 1990's they are proper Volvo's. Only had one newer than 2010, being an XC90, and that was a decent bit of kit.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Got a few hours on the R this afternoon, and started the strip down for PCV replacement. Started like this
V70R 12.jpg

And after a cup of coffee and fiddly bolts, like this

20220116_160002.jpg

All that has been removed are the turbo pipes and hoses really, together with the air box. So far found 2 unidentified vacuum hoses that are attached at one end, but not the other. Also spent an age cleaning out the PTC valve which explains why all I can taste is clutch cleanerxx( Unfortunately it seems the pair of 12mm bolts on the underside of the inlet manifold are proper tight, so have to get the front end lifted and go in from underneath for those.
Keeps me out of trouble:smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No pics today as I was just whizzing along. Intake manifold off after disconnecting fuel flow & return, the pair of 12mm bolts underneath required the car to be jacked up as I couldn't shift then with a spanner and hampered access from above. The old PCV system was clearly original with all the factory clamps etc, and all the pipes were so brittle they snapped when I tried to remove them. New lot fitted and back to where I left things yesterday. If I get a minute tomorrow I'll clean all the turbo hoses and look to replace all the failing rubber vacuum lines whilst I can get to them.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
New Volvo moulded mudflaps arrived for the V70.

I need to clean up and repaint the calipers (black, no chavvy colours) and as I'll have to drop the wheels to fit the flaps ill do it then. Probably look at doing this one day next week if things warm up.

It had new discs and pads all round only 200 miles before I swooped in with my wallet. I wss expecting cheap Apec stuff, but rooting through and tidying up the invoices thismafternoon I was most gratified to see much money had been spent on Borg & Beck kit.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The R continues to amuse. Fun and games replacing the turbo oil return this week, hopefully that has fixed the oil leak. Also replaced the drop links in an effort to solve the clunking. Didn't work, so next stop probably taking the struts out and seeing if the top mounts are shot.

Top Bottom