There is no way I'll ever get Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I was going to post the same. I mean, fancy having to trail cables the length of your frame. What a bodge!

Etap is cheaper too, win win!

Personally I prefer the single battery approach and enjoy taking bicycles to bits so Di2 was the clear winner for me :smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've only ever ridden one bike with Di2 and it was magnificent. Stopping on too high a gradient for the gear you're in? None of this lift rear wheel clack clack clack spin clack clack clack stuff; instead, buttery smooth transitions. Also, no indexing issues, cable stretch or misalignment after initial setup.
When it works it cannot be beaten.

Conversely I know someone who had an early model Di2 which died in the middle of a ride, they were stuck in the gear they had with no options for bodging.

I too have ridden a bike with Di2 on a test ride, Cannondale iirc it was smashing, the bike and the shifting, just thought at the time it wasn’t necessary. I don’t regret not buying it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My car can already drive itself using radar to follow the car in front. Some can steer as well. It won't be too long before smart motorways use these tricks to pack many more cars onto congested motorways. Platooning already exists in the USA for trucks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I agree.

Right now my kid wants me to sort out his Xbox account. So I'm working with tech at work, I had a small issue with tech at home, and now I'm still screwing around with tech sorting Xbox out. All I want to do is chill out for a bit. And this damn soft keyboard isn't helping matters.
All this constant on and on dealing with tech is getting crazy. I really don't know how to fix things that are not "tech" any more.
THIS^^^^
Stuff that should be simple just needs constant support. We spend more and more time fixing things that are supposed to 'improve' our day to day lives and make things better. Somehow the argument for having this tech just doesn't stack up!

Cars are one of the most ingrained and ever-present incarnations of this problem. How many of you with brand new, hi-tech, fully loaded cars have had to ferry back & forth to the garage while they try uselessly to fix the 'faulty' flashing light trying to tell you there is something wrong with your car?
Just to change the engine oil on my wife's car i have had to buy a bootleg hack gizmo to crack into the cars programming and reset the service indicators, and let's not even mention changing the fuel filter or auto gearbox oil!!!!!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Err,multiple shifts, self-trim of the front mech, sprint shifters to name three.

Oh and charge lasts for a good while with the current battery and you can always leave it on charge when not in use.
All very good I’m sure, but my gears never need charging, don’t need batteries and the cable won’t come adrift.

JhnBssll

Veteran
All very good I’m sure, but my gears never need charging, don’t need batteries and the cable won’t come adrift.

Whilst I can find no fault with your points I can't help but mention my gears only need charging every few months and my cables have never once fallen off :tongue::laugh: But I did have to reindex my commuter the other day, and the turbo bike needs reindexing... These damn pesky new-fangled braided cables have a lot to answer for, it was all solid linkages in my day ^_^

I'm not saying Di2 is not good, in fact I think it's great and Shimano done a splendid job so if anyone else wants to get it, I will warm heartedly recommend it.

The reason I won't get Di2 is because I don't want yet another device that does software updates, has a million configuration options, gets a software update and changes the menu items around.

Annoyance: I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to adjust the volume of the beeps that come from the TV when I go muck around with the options. Someone had changed it but they didn't own up. Cycling is fun for me and I don't want to turn it into a flamin' techno fest. Grrrr.

I'm hoarding old Shimano parts so I can keep using a 8 speed gear system...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I hate all that media-connected-to-phone stuff. Usually works first time then gets into a twist afterwards. If they can make it work reliably, even if it has less functions, I'm all for it .But all these xompcompawant to do is add more and more functions but not fix the existing bugs. Highly annoying .

This is why Toyota, arguably the largest carmaker and renowned for reliability, have shunned Android Auto and Apply CarPlay until very recently.

Lee_M

Guru
i love my di2, it just works, and it doesnt automatically update and break everything. you can just decide not to reconnect it to anything and it will continue to work perfectly as it is without updates

as someone earlier suggested, some of the options are great, like the self trim, and in my view, semi sync changing makes it worth the money on its own.

Would I have gone out and bought it individually? probably not, but the bike I wanted came with it, and I'm glad it did

Alan O

Über Member
Computer stuff has been my professional life and I do like good techie stuff - and from what people say, Di2 (and similar) really does seem to work very well.

But I also love refined mechanical simplicity and things that don't need batteries, and for me that's where cycling fits in.

Top Bottom