There is no way I'll ever get Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think the DSG box is far better than an old Both Warner which I used to work on. The last time I had an oil change on a DSG it cost me £25 labour good value.

But when the clutch pack goes there are 2 of them, in the order of £2000 to replace. Great stuff, but when they really do need attention you know about it.

Technology for technology's sake again - when things are going swimmingly it's amazing, but when things go wrong you may end up wishing you had more conventional technology instead. Every persons need or tolerance will be different, and the position of their slider on the benefit-drawback spectrum will be differ, but the benefit-drawback ratio is a genuine consideration, one that is too sadly often overlooked. That's why theres no "right" answer, only the solution that suits the needs and wants of each individual.
Our Audi has the CVT gearbox. It's amazing, seamless gears and perfect with a torquey high power diseasel. In normal driving the revs rarely go above 1500rpm and not a lot more if being a bit enthusiastic. It's very refined, but if it ever goes wrong I will be well and truly stuffed (Hence the DIY oil changes because I don't trust a main dealer to actually bother doing it rather than just taking my money. There is no way I can tell it has been done and no way to prove they hadn't if the box fails prematurely).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
But would you like cable drum brakes on your motorbike?
Hell yeah,
triton_williebob5.jpg

Where's the 'drool' emoji.

screenman

Legendary Member
Our Audi has the CVT gearbox. It's amazing, seamless gears and perfect with a torquey high power diseasel. In normal driving the revs rarely go above 1500rpm and not a lot more if being a bit enthusiastic. It's very refined, but if it ever goes wrong I will be well and truly stuffed (Hence the DIY oil changes because I don't trust a main dealer to actually bother doing it rather than just taking my money. There is no way I can tell it has been done and no way to prove they hadn't if the box fails prematurely).

That is a shame that you are so mistrusting, they would of course let you watch and or video it for you now.

There is only one reason why I won't go down the Di2 route and that is money. For the added benefits in performance and pleasure the extra money is not worth it to me or my type of riding, plus I assume maintenance and replacement costs may be more costly.

When the technology trickles down and gets less expensive then I will think about it.

If someone wants to donate an old, working set they no longer need to me I am happy to be proved wrong.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That is a shame that you are so mistrusting, they would of course let you watch and or video it for you now.
Once bitten twice shy, fingers burnt, etc.

I know there are lots and lots of decent, capable, honest people working the motor trade, but human nature being what it is there will always be some that will cut corners and neglect things that are hidden from view, whether that is for reasons of time pressures, profit or just because they can. The trouble is that I know too much. If I was clueless about vehicles then I would be none the wiser when I was being duped and all would be good with the world. It doesn't instil confidence when a main dealer swears they have done a job when I only have to lift the bonnet and the evidence is there to prove they haven't!

EDIT: Obviously this isn't the fault of modern technology......

With technology in general I am not an early adopter.

On this innovation curve I fall somewhere to the right.

curve.JPG.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
For all the moans about how expensive and unreliable modern technology is, the reverse is actually true. Older cars were easier to work on, but they needed constant adjustment to keep running and they did not last anywhere near as long. At 60k most engines were on their last legs whereas now they are barely run in, clutches would rarely go past 40,000 miles and Saturdays were spent under the bonnet either fiddling with or replacing something. Most families were on first name terms with the TV repair man and bicycles were not the super reliable machines which lasted for ever that some people would have you believe.

When hi tech stuff breaks it does cost more to fix or replace, but with a few exceptions most things last longer and performs at their optimum rate for nearly all of their life. The "Good old days" are seen through heavily rose tinted specs, when in truth they were not all that great after all. Electronic shifting? Five years on it will be so common and more affordable that most people won't question having it on a bike - with the exception of those who think technology peaked with friction shifters and the five speed block, and as remainers constantly say about Brexiteers, they will be dying off soon anyway.

Repairing Di2 is easy. You just switch it off and switch it back on again.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
With technology in general I am not an early adopter.
On this innovation curve I fall somewhere to the right.
View attachment 448605

When it comes to bikes I am firmly on the right.

My favourite bike tech is: cup and cone bearings, rim brakes, index gears.

I am still a little undecided whether to embrace freehubs or freewheels. I have 2 main bikes: one with freewheel and the other with freehub and I see pros and cons with each. Another good example is that I prefer to have analogue (friction) gears for the (front) chainset and index gears for the rear. I find index gears on the chainset problematic.

(Edit: interesting ... Sheldon Brown seems to agree)
"Indexed rear shifting is a very worthwhile feature. Indexed front shifting, however, is of much more questionable value, especially with only two chainwheels, so the derailer's limit stops already provide indexing of a sort."
-- https://www.sheldonbrown.com/upgrade-gears.html

Even with computers I have a philosophy of 'trailing edge technology'. I use time as a filter to determine what technology is any good (i.e. it persists). My current favourite computer tech would be an old IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. Those things are reliable and built like tanks.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRj_GTMXJDEkkAHDUF8XGLYOkgJS5L54oz72relhNg1jkw981SYDQ.jpg

Last edited:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Ooh, I’ve never updated my Di2, sounds fun, I think I’ll give it a go if I can work out how, must have the latest update......

Edit, “synchro shifting” sounds cool, anybody use it?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ooh, I’ve never updated my Di2, sounds fun, I think I’ll give it a go if I can work out how, must have the latest update......

Edit, “synchro shifting” sounds cool, anybody use it?
Don't EVER update something that is working well as it is. The update will only highlight the deficiencies and turn something that was ok into something that is a steaming pile of poo!

Top Bottom