There is no way I'll ever get Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I spend at least 3 hours a day in the car, I hate old bangers, or even old not bangers. Give me all the bling every day, that is if you can call a Skoda bling.
I'm the opposite with cars. I hate aircon and didn't even turn it on when my last car had it, I have an ABS system built into my foot, don't need something to tell me when I'm too close to the car in front and I'm happy to take responsibility for keeping a car in whatever lane I'm supposed to be in.

Each to their own of course, but if a fraction of what is spent on electronic driving aids was invested in advancing our driving beyond the basic we'd all be a lot safer for it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm the opposite with cars. I hate aircon and didn't even turn it on when my last car had it, I have an ABS system built into my foot, don't need something to tell me when I'm too close to the car in front and I'm happy to take responsibility for keeping a car in whatever lane I'm supposed to be in.

Each to their own of course, but if a fraction of what is spent on electronic driving aids was invested in advancing our driving beyond the basic we'd all be a lot safer for it.

Exactly my philosophy. Four wheels, an engine, reasonably comfortable seats and a working heater & radio is all the tech I need or want in a car. I still prefer wind-up windows and key locking. All the motors & solenoids is just extra cost, extra weight, and extra stuff to malfunction as the car gets older. Simple, basic cars tend to survive longer on the road because there is less to fail on them. A million taxi drivers in Africa who favour old-school pre-electronic Peugeots to modern stuff can't be wrong!

screenman

Legendary Member

I agree with you, I cannot though pump the pdeal as quick as the ABS can though. he others are safety features, I drive the same as I always have.

screenman

Legendary Member
Exactly my philosophy. Four wheels, an engine, reasonably comfortable seats and a working heater & radio is all the tech I need or want in a car. I still prefer wind-up windows and key locking. All the motors & solenoids is just extra cost, extra weight, and extra stuff to malfunction as the car gets older. Simple, basic cars tend to survive longer on the road because there is less to fail on them. A million taxi drivers in Africa who favour old-school pre-electronic Peugeots to modern stuff can't be wrong!

No but they can be poor, I think by now we have you feelings towards money.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No but they can be poor, I think by now we have you feelings towards money.

People don't always choose simplicity because that's all they can afford. Often they want reliability and hassle-free utility above all. I could go out and buy any new mass-produced car I fancied tomorrow if I so desired. But I don't believe in wasting money on pointless bling, or getting hammered by heavy new car depreciation, so I don't play that game. I know plenty of people who do play that game, and most of them, in reality, are skint and live from hand to mouth because their income only just barely covers their outgoings. They don't have much safety margin to deal with unforeseen happenings, like being off sick on reduced pay or meeting a large unexpected bill.

screenman

Legendary Member
People don't always choose simplicity because that's all they can afford. Often they want reliability and hassle-free utility above all. I could go out and buy any new mass-produced car I fancied tomorrow if I so desired. But I don't believe in wasting money on pointless bling, or getting hammered by heavy new car depreciation, so I don't play that game. I know plenty of people who do play that game, and most of them, in reality, are skint and live from hand to mouth because their income only just barely covers their outgoings. They don't have much safety margin to deal with unforeseen happenings, like being off sick on reduced pay or meeting a large unexpected bill.

They are idiots then, I cannot understand anyone playing that game. The thing I do not get is this John, say you have £200 a week disposable after everthing paid do you just save it up to leave to somebody when you pass away. Now obviously that is a figure plucked out of the air, you may well have a lot more, but I just wondered when you start spending.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
THIS^^^^
Stuff that should be simple just needs constant support. We spend more and more time fixing things that are supposed to 'improve' our day to day lives and make things better. Somehow the argument for having this tech just doesn't stack up!

Cars are one of the most ingrained and ever-present incarnations of this problem. How many of you with brand new, hi-tech, fully loaded cars have had to ferry back & forth to the garage while they try uselessly to fix the 'faulty' flashing light trying to tell you there is something wrong with your car?
Just to change the engine oil on my wife's car i have had to buy a bootleg hack gizmo to crack into the cars programming and reset the service indicators, and let's not even mention changing the fuel filter or auto gearbox oil!!!!!

I'm not kidding: headlight on an old car was fused and after putting a new light on, they told me is not working because I need a software upgrade. It cost £300 but they would let me have it for 10%

But the truly amazing thing is the service manager was telling me this sh1t with a completely straight face .

JhnBssll

Veteran
Never used the speed limiter, but use cruise control 70% of the time I'm driving. Adaptive cruise control that is, so it automatically adjusts the speed to maintain distance to the car in front. It's fabulous :okay:

Top Bottom