There is no way I'll ever get Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If pneumatic tyres had only been invented yesterday we'd by now have a thread telling us they were too complicated, too unreliable, a solution looking for a problem and unnecessary.

GettyImages-2672670-57ab50f53df78cf45997e150.jpg
"What you really need to invent is an electric gear changing system not those rubber things filled with air"

Out of interest ... what's the difference? I once drove a hire car in Finland with cruise control which came in handy on those very long very quiet roads. But I've not heard of speed limiters.
Speed limiter set to, say, 70, means your right foot cannot make you exceed the set speed.

I wonder if the same people writing I will not get one of those things said the same when computers came about, or colour tv.
Wait 'till they hear about ball point pens, safety razors and penicillin.
Speed limiter set to, say, 70, means your right foot cannot make you exceed the set speed.

That sounds like a fantastic feature. Much more useful than cruise control, which doesn't work on a busy freeway.

They sound like very minor variations on the same thing to me.

No, they would be completely different.

Cruise control sets a speed at which the car travels and you take your foot off the accelerator and the car maintains a constant speed. However, the traffic isn't travelling at a constant speed and you continually have to brake, which disables the CC. Accelerating whilst using it is ok, because once you take your foot off the gas again, it slows down to the set speed. It works well on empty roads where you don't have to compensate for traffic.

A speed limiter requires you to set the pace, but won't let you exceed the setting. This to me sounds more usable in traffic.

By traffic I mean freeways with lots of cars entering and exiting junctions, which cause a variance in speed.

Distance control adds another dimension. It won't allow your car, when on cruise control, to approach another car. Conversely, if the car in front slows down, you slow down. That's probably the only way speed control will work effectively on busy roads.

Different in action, but using the same parts of the engine management system.
Nope.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Personally I'd prefer a car with no ABS, Traction Control, Cruise Control or Speed Limiter. In other words something basic

That's what I like. Basic motoring where the driver actually drives the vehicle - not just stares out of the window and uses the steering wheel a bit. All the gadgets just allow you to not concentrate on your driving, in the false belief that the car will stop you getting yourself into trouble situations. Plenty of muppets have learned the hard way that ABS doesn't stop you crashing into things if you don't drive according to the road conditions.

Top Bottom