There is no way I'll ever get Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not a driver, so take this with a pinch of whatever condiment you prefer, but could that not be a hindrance if you need to get out of an emergency situation in a hurry?

Of course it is. There are situations where putting your foot down and getting clear of some position quickly is the safest course of action. Overtaking an HGV is a good example; you do not want to be driving side by side with a large vehicle exposed to oncoming traffic for any longer than necessary, you want to accelerate past it as quickly as possible and get back into your lane.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The trouble with various modern driver aids is that they reduce the amount of things you have to do, so allow the mind to wander away from the driving. Anyone who has ever driven a really old vintage vehicle will tell you they are far too busy actually driving the thing to have time for daydreaming or fiddling around with things like mobile phones.

I find using CC gives me less to do, therefore more brainpower to apply to being aware.

The trouble with various modern driver aids is that they reduce the amount of things you have to do, so allow the mind to wander away from the driving. Anyone who has ever driven a really old vintage vehicle will tell you they are far too busy actually driving the thing to have time for daydreaming or fiddling around with things like mobile phones.
The opposite is true for me. I know plenty who would fall asleep unless driving a manual car. I prefer to concentrate on the world around me and let the car do the rest.

screenman

Legendary Member

Likely I have driven far more cars than most on here, fighting to find that missing gear, wobbling down the road on rack and pinion with radial tyres, listed up glass due to lack of heating, I can carry on. I agree with the phone but but disagree strongly that driving aids make you pay less attention to what is going on outside, in fact the opposite.

Did you spend 4 hours today driving a car with aids?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I often drive vehicles with poor side & rearwards visibility, so I have to use the mirrors properly all the time. It's also interesting when driving a high up vehicle, to look down into adjacent cars and observe their drivers with both hands on a gadget in their lap and no hands on the steering wheel or any other driving controls. Automatics are the worst for this sort of inattentive driving.

screenman

Legendary Member
I often drive vehicles with poor side & rearwards visibility, so I have to use the mirrors properly all the time. It's also interesting when driving a high up vehicle, to look down into adjacent cars and observe their drivers with both hands on a gadget in their lap and no hands on the steering wheel or any other driving controls. Automatics are the worst for this sort of inattentive driving.

Those same drivers would be inattentive in any vehicle, you really should spend more time observing the road rather than looking in people cars. Percentage wise more manual cars are involved in accidents than automatics.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I don't think anyone a
Re cars. The most complex thing I am capable of doing with my car is filling the windscreen wash reservoir. I like it like that. More automation please.

Suppose every 3rd or 4th time you filled the screen washer, an improvement had been made and you then had to spend 30 minutes figuring out how to open the screen reservoir.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Not sure where you are going with that post.

I origgiorig started this thread because of the a amount of time it took me to fix a really simple problem .Sono was trying to say that a simple thing like filling washer fluid in the car required 30 minutes research, then would one not also be annoyed?

Top Bottom