thieving b@stard scum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

That;s the one.... blimey.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Air bags are activated by the seat belts or if something hit a parked car they would deploy.

Are you sure?

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that airbag deployment depended only on whether the weight of an occupant was detected in the relevant seat, regardless of whether the seat belts were in use or not.

That would, equally, suppress their deployment in an unoccupied, parked car.

C R

Guru
Are you sure?

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that airbag deployment depended only on whether the weight of an occupant was detected in the relevant seat, regardless of whether the seat belts were in use or not.

I doubt the deployment depends on anything other than deceleration, loads of older cars don't have sensors for seatbelts or seat occupancy. Also, it would add more possible points of failure to the deployment mechanism.

Happy to be shown otherwise.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I doubt the deployment depends on anything other than deceleration, loads of older cars don't have sensors for seatbelts or seat occupancy. Also, it would add more possible points of failure to the deployment mechanism.

Well yes, self-evidently if an older car doesn't detect seat occupancy or seat belt engagement then airbag deployment can't be dependent on either of those.

My point, in relation to the original post, was that it isn't (I don't think) dependent on seat belt use in newer cars either. I suspect that airbag deployment does depend on seat occupancy in modern cars, but I'm not inclined to put that to the test. :angel:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How about this for TBS! I sold my car,bought another one then changed my car insurers. My old insurers only decided to direct debit my bank account to continue my insurance for my sold car. I didn't find out till my bank statement came the other day. I emailed Hastings Direct telling them about it. They got back to me three day later telling me they were going to refund me £328 from the £416 they took without my permission. £45 admin' fees and the rest my insurance for this month on a car i don't have now. Not only that,but their insurance fee went up from last year's £367 to £416. :angry:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you tell the insurers that you were changing car and insurer (and request confirmation in writing)? If you did, they should have a record of the conversation telling you of the fees for cancelling which will also all be in the Ts & Cs you agreed to when you took the policy out)
If you didn’t tell them, well....

Reactions: C R

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Are you sure?

Yep I think they're all interconnected in most modern cars, along with the bloody beep 'nanny' telling you to fasten your seatbelt.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
along with the bloody beep 'nanny' telling you to fasten your seatbelt.

And to close the door, and check the boot and...………………………………………..

Brains

Legendary Member
Yep I think they're all interconnected in most modern cars, along with the bloody beep 'nanny' telling you to fasten your seatbelt.

Volvo's of the early 1970's had all those features, seat occupancy, seat belts not done up, doors not closed, (but dont think air bags, they had not been invented)

It amazes me that cars built nearly half a century later don't all have all that as bog standard minimum spec.

Top Bottom