Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
What is the difference between dirt and grime? Why do people always say "gotta remove the dirt and grime" and why not "dirt or grime"?

In no way, shape of form does this sound right. Isn't way, shape and form the same thing? All of the following are the same:
In no way does this sound right.
In no shape does this sound right.
In no form does this sound right.

classic33

Leg End Member
What is the difference between dirt and grime? Why do people always say "gotta remove the dirt and grime" and why not "dirt or grime"?

In no way, shape of form does this sound right. Isn't way, shape and form the same thing? All of the following are the same:
In no way does this sound right.
In no shape does this sound right.
In no form does this sound right.
Dirt is soil or earth while grime is dirt, grease, soot, etc that is ingrained and difficult to remove.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Dirt is soil or earth while grime is dirt, grease, soot, etc that is ingrained and difficult to remove.

Yes, "industrial dirt" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. :rolleyes:

As a general rule, there are remarkably few pairs of words in English that are 100% synonymous with each other.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Collective nouns: which ones are real and which ones were just made up? Alright, it's a flock of sheep, and a herd of cattle, but is it really a murder of crows?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Mary Berry.
So perfect in everything.
And how many cans of hairspray does she use?

Oh God yes... doesn't matter who she watches make their food does it, how respected they are, how many Michelin stars... she always attempts her own version and the result is always the same... "better than yours".
Raymond Blanc making Provencal lamb with petits pois? Oh no, thank you for the charmingly inept demo Raymond but Mary will now take over.

"I'm just going to make it with some leftover chicken and carrots because I prefer it, and you know what?" (Insert cheeky grin and wink)... "I think it's even better".

Oh f*ck off Mary.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
'Cyclists' riding bikes in the dark without lights are bothering me! Not just without lights,but also without reflectors on the pedals,the wheels the handlebar stem and anywhere else they are used to aid being seen by other road users. Yes,i know someone's going to say "So if you can't see them how come you did see them riding without lights". My point being that i don't see them till i'm a few yards away and i drive either to the speed limit or below. Last night i encountered two of these 'cyclists'. One was dressed head to toe in black,complete with a 'staffie bull terrier' being pulled along on a lead by this 'cyclist'. The second was again in dark clothing,just sauntering up the road gawping at his phone. There's no point in getting into an altercation with these types as they'll either be thick,violent or most likely both. Chavs on bikes is the latest craze we have to endure. Why aren't the police stopping them and either telling them to get some lights on!! Or telling them to keep off the road and pavement if they aren't prepared to fit lights to their contraptions!:headshake:

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Collective nouns: which ones are real and which ones were just made up? Alright, it's a flock of sheep, and a herd of cattle, but is it really a murder of crows?
In a similar vein...

1601118625725.png

I mean, what? Just...what?

Top Bottom