This really annoyed me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
Indeed. The bus driver pulled out into the oncoming lane, causing another road user to take evasive action.

The bus driver should have waited. I'd be a little annoyed at that too.

The bus would probably have done the same to a car in that situation, they all seem to think they have some god given right and have to be given way to at all times. In fact I think some bus drivers think they have blues and twos going, the way they run amber/red lights and slam the anchors on to let other buses pull out.

And breathe

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Benb, in my book the bus driver is in the wrong, every which way.

Just not sure, in such a situation, that taking one hand off the bar, even to wave, is a wise choice.

the snail

Guru
What are you on about? He pulled over to my side of the road, nearly forcing me off, but you think he had right of way?
If I'd have been driving, I'd probably have stopped and let him out. Looking at the footage, it looks 50/50 whether he had pulled out before you got to the obstruction, and neither of you had "right of way", there's no such thing. I think road users should allow a bit of give and take, and imo you would have been better to have shown more caution approaching a hazard, and once it was obvious the bus had pulled out you should have given way, rather than ploughing on regardless. I suspect if the bus had been a cyclist and a car did what you did people would be saying the car driver was in the wrong.

It looks safe-ish, however if you had had a blow out or any number of other possibles at that moment you would have been dead under the bus wheels, bus driver needs a reminder on how to drive safely.

dawesome

The driver could at least have slowed, you're not really supposed to accelerate toward on-coming road users when you're on the wrong side of the road!

We have signs on em round here ' Please let the bus go first ' :whistle:

Drama Queens LD :giggle:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
We have signs on em round here ' Please let the bus go first ' :whistle:
Correct me if i'm wrong.. those are on the back of the bus and relate to highway code rule 223, where you should let a bus pull out from a stop when it is indicating.

Not exactly the same as what is in the video.

col

Legendary Member
The bus was moving out and entering the parked cars area before you actually got there, and probably misjudged your speed. You could have slowed abit and not had any real incident, carrying on just made it worse. A mistake made into an incident, happens too often.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Unless I am mistaken the bus was stationary and waiting for the car in front to pass before he pulled out, despite seeing that there was a cyclist coming towards him. Whether the driver misjudged the bike's speed or not, he was moving, and had priority in my mind. The bus driver only had to wait a couple of seconds more and this would have been avoided.

col

Legendary Member
Unless I am mistaken the bus was stationary and waiting for the car in front to pass before he pulled out, despite seeing that there was a cyclist coming towards him. Whether the driver misjudged the bike's speed or not, he was moving, and had priority in my mind. The bus driver only had to wait a couple of seconds more and this would have been avoided.
Mistakes happen, the cyclist only had to slow a few seconds and this could have been avoided.

Sorry, folks (aye, and Benb) - that indicator bugs me a bit. Goodness me - I am really showing my age here :sad:.

Back over 40 years ago, when I was learning to drive, I was told
  • to give cyclists plenty space - “enough room for them to fall over”. A bit out date now :sad: .
  • that lorry and bus drivers were specifically trained to indicate, and move out to claim space they needed, just because they they were slow and heavy, and ungainly pigs to drive. In just the sort of situation here. And it was up to me, the car driver, to spot, and give way.
Hey - nothing of these in the HC, now or then; it was just practical common sense and courtesy.

Aye – and nowadays? I like it when other road users go out of their way to take care of me; if sometimes I can go out of my way to show respect for a bus – aye, I'm happy to do it. :tongue: Just a different judgement call. Not "I'm right-you're wrong" :hello:.

I lose a few seconds of my time, but get a cheery wave from the bus driver. He's happy; I'm happy :smooch:. And I cycle off into the sunset polishing my well-burnished halo :bicycle: --------- and enjoy the rest of my day. OK - not nuts, just a sanctimonious p***k.

Reactions: col

lukesdad

Correct me if i'm wrong.. those are on the back of the bus and relate to highway code rule 223, where you should let a bus pull out from a stop when it is indicating.

Not exactly the same as what is in the video.
Ah I thought it might read in the SE 'Please let the bus go first unless you re a cyclist' Of course all you southern commuters adhere to this rule I take it. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom