This really annoyed me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
There is just about room for a car to come the other way here. There is most certainly not enough room for a bus to do it.
I think you and the bus driver proved that there was enough room!!!!!!!!!!
I see your video is called 'Right of way'', I have been cycling for over 50 years and just after I started I applied for my right of way permit - I am still waiting. Should I re-apply for one?

You'll never stop other road users making mistakes, and a skinny cyclist amongst loads of moving tin boxes is easily missed.

All you can do is ride or drive in such a way that you can deal with the mistakes of others better.

So instead of riding at 20mph+ in an area of potential conflict ... ride at 8mph.

Most of the videos i see posted on cc involve the cyclist moving at speed vs someone in a vehicle making a mistake.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I see your video is called 'Right of way'', I have been cycling for over 50 years and just after I started I applied for my right of way permit - I am still waiting. Should I re-apply for one?

Very good, very good :smile:

The panto horse has nothing to do with this thread. It just makes me laugh :-D

tumblr_ly3imdLrv11qa7ctgo1_500.gif

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The bus was moving out and entering the parked cars area before you actually got there, and probably misjudged your speed. You could have slowed abit and not had any real incident, carrying on just made it worse. A mistake made into an incident, happens too often.
I did slow down, a lot.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not really sure what your point is? That I should have said priority not right of way?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I did slow down, a lot.
Are you sure? Turn the volume up on the clip and listen to the wind noise - that tells a different story.
We cyclists are vulnerable road users; our bodies protect the metal but driver's bodies are protected by the metal. Now with a bus, who is heavier and faster than you, do you really want to debate right of way, priority or the price of fish? When people arrive at the Pearly Gates years too early, St Peter is sick of hearing "But I had right of way!"
I tried a different route home today and this happened just as I turned off the Korat By Pass

My reaction? Just a shrug of my shoulders, nothing more

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As are impatient road users going head on with buses in the U.K. LOL

By the way I think my comedy horse could be a zebra ?

He pulled into the opposite side of the road with an oncoming cyclist, when there wasn't time/room, but I'm the one being impatient? How odd.

That's fairly normal in most of Asia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is an atrocious road causality rate – as I’m sure you are aware...:thumbsup:

Oh. And just because a bus has a little sticker on the back saying please let the bus go first doesn’t mean bus drivers can just pull out on a whim and expect all other road users have to take evasive action (that bit isn't aimed at you Keith!)

subaqua

What’s the point
Ah I thought it might read in the SE 'Please let the bus go first unless you re a cyclist' Of course all you southern commuters adhere to this rule I take it. ^_^

I do as i can keep up with the bus along Warren rd one way system where there is a "cycle lane" *, stops car drivers trying to drive through me

* what it actually is , is a road that has 3 lanes in it parked cars take the left and right lanes and the centre lane is for traffic. the left lane is fairly wide and has one cycle symbol at the beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom