This really annoyed me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Being nice to the bus driver and letting them out is all well and good, but remember there can be unexpected and unpleasant consequences to ceding your priority. It's like filtering, it's a time to be extra cautious and observant.

p.s. and I'd like to think I'm usually super nice to bus drivers.

lukesdad

So is an atrocious road causality rate – as I’m sure you are aware...:thumbsup:

Oh. And just because a bus has a little sticker on the back saying please let the bus go first doesn’t mean bus drivers can just pull out on a whim and expect all other road users have to take evasive action (that bit isn't aimed at you Keith!)
I think you missed the smilies. ^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
He pulled into the opposite side of the road with an oncoming cyclist, when there wasn't time/room, but I'm the one being impatient? How odd.

Indeed, oddness seems to be the order of the day. Odd that the council has seen fit to place a parking bay on a narrow stretch of the road, effectively dedicating the lane to stationary vehicles, and thereby forcing buses and blindly-follow-my-leader cars into the opposite carriageway . Odd that, as the roads get more and more sclerotic, buses get bigger and bigger so that for bus drivers to do their job, they're under constant pressure to drive in contravention of the Highway Code. Odd that as the HC breaks down, driving slips directly into a de facto ''might is right'' approach.

Oddest is that some cyclists will defend this situation. I'm all for give and take but this only works one way and really means ''cyclist gives, driver takes.''

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Oh, and everyone who said I shouldn't have taken one hand off the bars; you're absolutely right. I didn't even know I'd done it until I looked at the video: it was an unconsious spur of the moment reaction.

col

Legendary Member
He pulled into the opposite side of the road with an oncoming cyclist, when there wasn't time/room, but I'm the one being impatient? How odd.
You werent in the wrong, the driver was. Just instead of making the most of the drivers mistake , you could have done things a different way and had no problem at all. Which is it seems, the way of a lot of cam users. Its Like going fishing, when a bite comes along make the most of it. There has been, and probably still is cam users who do just that, and even makes a situation seem worse just to get a good vid on the tube. Now before you start taking offence, Im not say you are, just you had a choice and you chose to catch that fish.^_^

Andrew_P

In between here and there
You werent in the wrong, the driver was. Just instead of making the most of the drivers mistake , you could have done things a different way and had no problem at all. Which is it seems, the way of a lot of cam users. Its Like going fishing, when a bite comes along make the most of it. There has been, and probably still is cam users who do just that, and even makes a situation seem worse just to get a good vid on the tube. Now before you start taking offence, Im not say you are, just you had a choice and you chose to catch that fish.^_^
I think you have point in general, but I really do not think this happened here.

col

Legendary Member
Indeed, oddness seems to be the order of the day. Odd that the council has seen fit to place a parking bay on a narrow stretch of the road, effectively dedicating the lane to stationary vehicles, and thereby forcing buses and blindly-follow-my-leader cars into the opposite carriageway . Odd that, as the roads get more and more sclerotic, buses get bigger and bigger so that for bus drivers to do their job, they're under constant pressure to drive in contravention of the Highway Code. Odd that as the HC breaks down, driving slips directly into a de facto ''might is right'' approach.

Oddest is that some cyclists will defend this situation. I'm all for give and take but this only works one way and really means ''cyclist gives, driver takes.''
You wouldnt believe where they have bus stops too. On junctions, even on roundabouts and blind bends. All which seem an obvious danger. It s a gamble just pulling away on some as you cant see whats coming, but what do you do, sit there all day? The passenger with a timed connection wouldnt be happy about that. But we get used to being the punchbag, but dont understand why the councils arent attacked about correcting these so obvious errors of theirs, that we pay the price for by the cyclists blaming the drivers, like this example. A big deal has been made of this, but then I can see why the driver passed the parked cars. The first chance he saw a gap he went, a cyclist coming the other way didnt want to give in any way, yet there was room if both parties cooperated. Instead there is yet another vid published to show how bad bus drivers are. Just like car drivers who hate giving way, they will slow and stop in the narrowest place of a close pass so making the pass very tight. And when you try to thank them they look straight ahead grimacing, when a few yards further would make it very easy. Some cyclists need to get rid of their anger to other motorists and start thinking safety and cooperation instead.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Are you sure? Turn the volume up on the clip and listen to the wind noise - that tells a different story.
We cyclists are vulnerable road users; our bodies protect the metal but driver's bodies are protected by the metal. Now with a bus, who is heavier and faster than you, do you really want to debate right of way, priority or the price of fish? When people arrive at the Pearly Gates years too early, St Peter is sick of hearing "But I had right of way!"

You can deduce what you like, Poriot, but I did brake substantially (had there been time to stop before the cars I probably would have).

I also pulled practically off the road, so I certainly wasn't putting my priority before my safety.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You wouldnt believe where they have bus stops too. On junctions, even on roundabouts and blind bends. All which seem an obvious danger. It s a gamble just pulling away on some as you cant see whats coming, but what do you do, sit there all day? The passenger with a timed connection wouldnt be happy about that. But we get used to being the punchbag, but dont understand why the councils arent attacked about correcting these so obvious errors of theirs, that we pay the price for by the cyclists blaming the drivers, like this example. A big deal has been made of this, but then I can see why the driver passed the parked cars. The first chance he saw a gap he went, a cyclist coming the other way didnt want to give in any way, yet there was room if both parties cooperated. Instead there is yet another vid published to show how bad bus drivers are. Just like car drivers who hate giving way, they will slow and stop in the narrowest place of a close pass so making the pass very tight. And when you try to thank them they look straight ahead grimacing, when a few yards further would make it very easy. Some cyclists need to get rid of their anger to other motorists and start thinking safety and cooperation instead.

This has got nothing to do with pulling out from a bus stop. I will almost always let a bus out from a bus stop, for all the reasons you have stated.

There were no cars behind me, so the bus driver could easily have waited until I was clear. A challenging schedule is no excuse for him taking risks with the safety of other road users, and there really wasn't enough room for him to do this safely.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I think you have point in general, but I really do not think this happened here.
I disagree. Worst offenders seem to be the ones that have just purchased such a device, that being a bike/helmet mounted cam. Strange how we had a fluffy of none dangourous situations submitted on here just after Christmas with the strap-line. 'Look I Nearly Got Killed' or something like it. Only to see the video and then come to the conclusion of what is this guy on about ? Looks like a everyday cycling incident to me with complete numbnut behaviour also on the cyclist part

col

Legendary Member
It's funny how the difference between two similar situations like this one can lead to very different feelings. Had the bus driver "asked" to be let out, and you let him out, I bet you would both have felt excellent. This is the other shading of this sort of situation, where the bus just assumes they can go through, and perhaps take advantage of your relative size and vulnerability to push on through, which tends to leave a feeling of annoyance and being taken advantage of.
Maybe too the driver was already moving out before the cyclist entered the narrow area and thought the cyclist might just give a bit, as it was obvious it would be tight if he didnt, the cyclist chose not to.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I disagree. Worst offenders seem to be the ones that have just purchased such a device, that being a bike/helmet mounted cam. Strange how we had a fluffy of none dangourous situations submitted on here just after Christmas with the strap-line. 'Look I Nearly Got Killed' or something like it. Only to see the video and then come to the conclusion of what is this guy on about ? Looks like a everyday cycling incident to me with complete numbnut behaviour also on the cyclist part

Shows what you know, as I have had mine for well over a year.

col

Legendary Member
This has got nothing to do with pulling out from a bus stop. I will almost always let a bus out from a bus stop, for all the reasons you have stated.

There were no cars behind me, so the bus driver could easily have waited until I was clear. A challenging schedule is no excuse for him taking risks with the safety of other road users, and there really wasn't enough room for him to do this safely.
Lets just assume for arguments sake the driver didnt see you at the point he was swinging out, because he was watching the parked car so as not to clip it, then as he is looking ahead he does see you, but he is already out. Could you not look at it another way? You saw a bus was moving out, you had a choice of pushing a tight spot or holding back, why not hold back?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Maybe too the driver was already moving out before the cyclist entered the narrow area and thought the cyclist might just give a bit, as it was obvious it would be tight if he didnt, the cyclist chose not to.

Even if he was, he shouldn't have been.
I've already said there wasn't time to completely stop before the cars, and I did pull off out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom