This tiny submarine 2.4 miles under the sea, visiting the relics of RMS Titanic. Can it be found and the crew saved before the air runs out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
our basic amateur SCUBA dives day or nite but especially at night included flashing beacons. which of course became invisible after about 25 ft in our NE waters at night. but I can only imagine the thing would have some kind of tracking system. but maybe the moronic designer used something else from a toy?

I suppose I was thinking of something more long-range than a flashing light!
Sonar pings? I don't know, I'm only speculating.

The MH 370 flight recorders were supposed to have some kind of beaconing that would be detectable underwater, but I don't know the range limitations of the technology. The problem with the missing plane was the massive and poorly-defined search area, as well as the short life-expectancy of batteries in the flight recorders. At least the release point and intended destination of the submersible were well-known. That's not trivilialse the challenges presented by the depth....

I was reading the news feeds earlier, apparently the submersible does have some kind of 'ping' and there was a report that a ping had indeed been detected. Fingers crossed for those on board.

Drago

Legendary Member
I see the enormous brains at the Mail reckon the sub communicates using Starlink. Clearly the Mail get their technical data from the Beano.

Milzy

Guru
Just out of interest who has authority over such things? Genuine question, my maritime knowledge extends only to booking ferries occasionally.

I was wondering that when thinking who would/could have certified that thing as seaworthy, or at very least done an expert independent risk assessment.

In a few years time they might locate the wreck and send tourists down to look at it.
They went to look at a sea grave and now they will soon be another sea grave. They might not decompose and mummify and pictures will be on Quora.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This plight takes me back to 50 years ago when some coal miners in Yorkshire were trapped way below the surface. It was a desperate operation to save them before they drowned. I remember watching the constant news bulletins on our black and white TV.

I've just found a link to that story. Only one of the trapped seven was found after a 6 day rescue operation. If I remember rightly, the shaft was sealed and then classed as a grave/burial site for the never to be found miners.

https://www.wakefieldhistoricalsociety.org.uk/event-at-the-red-shed-the-lofthouse-pit-disaster/

Last edited:
our basic amateur SCUBA dives day or nite but especially at night included flashing beacons. which of course became invisible after about 25 ft in our NE waters at night. but I can only imagine the thing would have some kind of tracking system. but maybe the moronic designer used something else from a toy?

I seem to recall that the US Nuclear submarines are controlled by PlayStation controllers ?

Oh close. Xbox 360 controllers for the periscope.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16333376/us-navy-military-xbox-360-controller

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I seem to recall that the US Nuclear submarines are controlled by PlayStation controllers ?

Oh close. Xbox 360 controllers for the periscope.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16333376/us-navy-military-xbox-360-controller

The periscope replacements are so controlled, I read.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Karma perhaps? Maybe where so many innocents lost their lives in tragedy should be left alone rather than be a gawping trophy for the mega-wealthy...
Having said that, I sincerely hope these people are found alive.
@Milzy: They went to look at a sea grave and now they will soon be another sea grave. They might not decompose and mummify and pictures will be on Quora.

Yes the irony (if they have died) is most certainly not lost on me!
I guess they will have had the 'Ultimate Titanic Experience' :whistle:

£200k for the experience?....no thanks, I'll stick with the movie. Why are we so obsessed with this wreck?.
I've never understood the fixation with the Titanic, the story of The Endurance and finally finding it and the reporting of what was found. Is way more of interest for me.

It's as if no other ship in history has ever sunk, isn't it?
Yes it was tragic and the consequences were long and far reaching, but there were other bigger disasters than it.
This is in no way to trivialise what happened on that fateful voyage, but yes, I don't get the fixation either. 🤷

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Drago

Legendary Member
I can just imagine the discussion at the launch of the Titanic.

Head of White Star - "this new ship is unsinkable you know."

Captain Smith - "hold my beer!"

I think it's the massive dose of hubris that makes Titanic so fascinating down the ages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom