Those Electric Cigarette Thingys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
That's the problem with the whole subject. On the one hand the government won't ban smoking and in fact grab all the money they can from it, but on the other hand, they treat smokers like lepers. Making them go outside, etc. Making them feel like they should hang they're heads in shame.

What do they want for gods sake.

I agree.

What people do should be up to them, its is their body, their choice (as long as it is legsal, etc)

I have no problem with smokers, vapors(?) drinkers etc, just dont try to force it on me.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
You drinking coke or coffee does not affect other people though does it? And although coffee may be bad today, tomorrow it may not. Spuds are bad, potatoes are bad. Tea is bad, bread is bad., etc
Life is bad!:giggle:

Colin B

selfharm.jpg
Done all of them but I draw the line at Pepsi that stuff will kill yer

Colin B

OK I've googled the amounts that would kill you and although caffeine is nearly 4 x as much as nicotine the amounts of each is not a lot LD = lethal death
For caffeine, the LD-50 is 192 mg/kg of body weight.
For nicotine, the LD-50 is only 50 mg/kg.
and for ethanol (alcohol), it's 6300 mg/kg
On a side note cheese sandwiches can be killers too my uncle died eating one he choked on it after the bus hit him be careful of cheese lads its lethal

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
See. See I told you they were bad for you

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
There have been studies done and nicotine is only dangerous if consumed in large quantities. There are plenty of vegetables that are sources of nicotine that people eat regularly, i haven't seen any reports of aubergine related nicotine deaths yet.

the e-cigs that were used in this study i believe were the over the counter variety produced by the big tobacco companies, so it's not surprising that they are full of crap chemicals.

Most vapers are using eliquids produced here in the UK, and are as safe as they come. The ingredients used in them are used in plenty of everyday foods and things like asthma inhalers.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol
Food flavourings
Nicotine

Obviously the addictive nature of nicotine is the bad apple in eliquid, but it is much, much safer to get your fix vaping than it is to smoke regular cigs.

I must admit that I hadn't known about the aubergine containing nicotine. The question is how hard is an aubergine to light and which end do you smoke it from? :smile:

@Dave the Smeghead you are far more likely to be harmed by the fumes from cars when walking down the street than you are by an e-cig.

Not if it is one of those new fangled battery powered jobbies - I just wouldn't want to be anywhere near when they come to get rid of the expired battery packs.

So is caffeine addiction should we limit how many coffees we can drink , many things can be addictive but are still OK in society .Haven't got a coke bottle handy but there's an ingredient in that on the banned list yet we allow our children to consume it in coke and other carbonated drinks

I don't drink those drinks anymore, and don't allow my children to either. The ingredient you are thinking of is aspartame. It isused as a sweetner but it is a carcinogen (cancer causing compound). Although sometimes I do fancy a coke or lemonade but then think about the detriment to my health and the craving goes away. Now if I could only do the same with cake I would be laughing :smile:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
OK I've googled the amounts that would kill you and although caffeine is nearly 4 x as much as nicotine the amounts of each is not a lot LD = lethal death
For caffeine, the LD-50 is 192 mg/kg of body weight.
For nicotine, the LD-50 is only 50 mg/kg.
and for ethanol (alcohol), it's 6300 mg/kg
On a side note cheese sandwiches can be killers too my uncle died eating one he choked on it after the bus hit him be careful of cheese lads its lethal
Are you sure that LD doesn't stand for Lethal Dose? Because death's usually rather lethal.

Anyhow, my Italian aunt choked to death on a plum and a bunch of grapes saw off my Swiss grandmother.

migrantwing

Veteran
FWIW, these are pro smoking.

http://www.forestonline.org/

Someone will always have their point of view.

Now, as i have said i am an ex smoker, but i disagree with the pub smoking ban. Why, again, give people the choice. If it is legal, then let them decide. It should be up to the landlord.

Since the smoking ban, I've not been out as much as I used to, very, very rarely in fact. I was out at the very least 5 nights a week. You have to take into consideration the fact that alcohol prices have gone up, but the smoking ban has definitely had a HUGE influence on how many pubs and clubs have closed down. I was a professional musician in the early 90's through the first decade of the 00's and I'd say 70% of the places I played and visited in that time have also closed down...and I'm talking countrywide. Some of the places I played were prestigious venues that are now rubble or a car park or block of flats, or worse still, just lying dormant and derelict. All the people who worked at these places lost their livelihood and the people who lived and worked on the premises lost everything. Why didn't they just bring back the old 'smoke room' in pubs? These days, they could have an excellent extractor system fitted, both smokers and non smokers would be happy. A lot of places tried the old beer garden with patio heater trick, but then the prices of the heaters went up to a ridiculous price. There is something very cosy about visiting a pub in the Winter, all gathered around a coal fire having a smoke. Who in their right mind would want to trek down to the pub, get warm on a Winters day then have to go outside in the elements for a nicotine fix? Not I. Been there, done that, no thanks. Then you think of the money you save buy not buying beer at the pub and why would you want to spend that much money in a place where half your time is spent outdoors in crap weather.

migrantwing

Veteran
The other thing that non-smokers (the ones who are self righteous and moan about smoking so much) seem to forget is that the more they cast us aside as 'lepers' and turn smokers into non-smokers, the country will lose money because more people are kicking the habit due to peer pressure and morals. The huge drop in profit from tobacco sales and tax has to be made up somewhere else. The cost of food, bills and other everyday things goes up to make up for that loss. Then they'll start moaning about that, too. As has been said in this thread already, if you want to smoke, smoke, if you don't want to smoke, don't. Simple as that. I am hoping to be added to the list of non-smokers in the near future, but I won't complain about smokers when I do. The ironic thing is that you see non-smokers belting out cr*p from their cars every day, polluting the atmosphere. They'll do more damage to people and the eco system with their cars and carbon footprints in a year than I will in a whole lifetime of smoking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom